Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I don't know if anyone did this, but is there a way for the 12V socket to be kept working other than leaving the engine on?
And if I leave the engine on, how many times would it start the petrol one say, in a night?
Additionally, any advice on arriving with the battery charged for the hybrid?

Thanks!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Hello,
I don't know if anyone did this, but is there a way for the 12V socket to be kept working other than leaving the engine on?
And if I leave the engine on, how many times would it start the petrol one say, in a night?

Thanks!
I have an electric cooler I use often and I miss that there is not a live 12v. outlet in the back. Even my Nissan Altima had one! Hyundai did not even put any kind of power outlet for the rear passengers! So I have to run the power for my cooler all the way to the front and then it is only on when the ign. is on. I am considering installing a 12v. outlet in the rear and wiring it to be hot all the time. I am not concerned about running the battery down because I am usually only parked with cooler on about two hours at a time.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
No. In my one try at listening to the radio after stopping with engine "on", the engine ran for a couple minutes every 10-15 minutes - a little hazy on the precise numbers but close. I did post exact numbers last year, easy enough for you to experiment - if your engine is cold, it will run longer in the beginning. If you are using more power than the infotainment unit, the engine will have to run more.

So yes! Running in Sport mode tends to charge the battery. In my one try at this at slow speeds, it only got to about 3/4 charged before effectively running just as if it was in hybrid mode. But charge level may approach 100% at higher speeds (displayed charge that is). So this could be a legitimate use of Sport mode that ends up not decreasing efficiency, but at least initially run the engine less immediately after stopping with some 12 volt load. So while not affecting efficiency perhaps, it does allow you to sleep uninterrupted for maybe as much as an hour. Trivial really, but if it helps you get to sleep initially, it would be huge (speaking as someone with sleep issues).

One tip, if you do this, press and hold the power button on the infotainment to turn it "off". This will reduce power use, not sure how much, but at least the screen backlight. Turning down the dash backlight may also help.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tip with the power button! And yes, I imagined that sports mode is probably the only manual control you have in HEV charging. This or descenting a mountain :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all, so I arrived at the camping site with the battery full, following the Sport Mode advice.
Lukily, they had power (it was not clear from the website) even for tents and I only used the car with ignition on while setting up the tent.
Basically for about an hour the petrol engine did not turn on, unfortunately I haven't looked at the watch to be more precise.. I even moved the car some 10 meters in that hour :)

Regarding always powered 12V, yes, it doesnt have that, not even the 5V USB under the armrest isn't powered with ignition off.. However it is not that hard to run the cable all through the back, and in my case the cooler box was sitting behind the drivers seat which my kid didn't mind:)

Oh, I didn't find a way to turn off the screen at all, I've set it to have a clock screensaver and even pressing and holding the power only switched to screensaver..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts