Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i discovered a funny thing in my ioniq hybrid. If i keep my keys in my left pocket i might get a startling surprise. that is: the alarm might go off! first time it happened i about had a heart attack.turns out that as i leaned to the left to get out i was accidentally squeezing the panic button on the remote with my thigh. from then on i keep my keys in my right pocket. ta da!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Or to leave nothing to chance, modify your fob so the panic button is disabled as I’ve had success with since this thread:

·
Registered
439 Posts
I ordered a silicone cover for my key-fob after a few false alarms and the emergency key accidentally released from it's slot in the fob a couple of times. The silicone cover does make the fob a bit bulkier, however solves these problems and I'm happy enough with it.

Check out this old forum thread....

·
Registered
398 Posts
I keep my fob in that (otherwise) useless change pocket they put into men's jeans.

I've also learned to keep the buttons facing inwards to avoid any surprises.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I ordered a rubber key cover, stopped me from accidentally pressing buttons, it also stops the spare key from popping out.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Most fobs are easy to take apart (clamshell design) to modify the buttons if you don't need panic. On my Kia fob, it was literally a 60 second operation to open it, insert a paperclip fragment of about a quarter inch under the panic button, and close it back up. No more panics over the last year. Reversible if you sell your car.

Lots of ways to modify your fob once it is open. You can put a small piece of rubber in there allowing the panic button to still work with a very firm press. You can cut off the actuator to ensure it will never trigger again - of course that is not reversible.

·
Registered
2017 Marina Blue HEV Ltd I O N I Q since 25 July '17
1,790 Posts
I keep my fob in that (otherwise) useless change pocket they put into men's jeans.
Me too...except not all my jeans have this coin pouch. Never have any false alarms when I am able to use it though...just when I'm wearhing jeans without it.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I ordered a silicone cover for my key-fob after a few false alarms
I also ordered this from Amazon. Still had a couple of false alarms even with th ecover, but I think it still helps some though.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I also ordered this from Amazon. Still had a couple of false alarms even with th ecover, but I think it still helps some though.
Hmmmm..... that's unfortunate, my cover has been good for over a year now. (y)
Yet another case of YRMV. ;)

·
Registered
113 Posts

View attachment 31505

I've also learned to keep the buttons facing inwards to avoid any surprises.
A simple yet effective tip and one I’ve adopted because……if you have set off your alarm in the past and even though you have disabled that button, guess what else can get triggered? I happened to be looking out the door when sitting down the other day and saw that my car just unlocked :/
Thanks for the tip @KevinT

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
A simple yet effective tip and one I’ve adopted because……if you have set off your alarm in the past and even though you have disabled that button, guess what else can get triggered? I happened to be looking out the door when sitting down the other day and saw that my car just unlocked :/
Thanks for the tip @KevinT
Good point. But if you do unlock accidentally, the doors are programmed to re-lock after 30 seconds unless they're opened.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts