Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Ioniq Hybrid 2020 Preferred
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, after almost driving 6k, I accidentally hit the suift paddles and saw this new blue light showing up on my dashboard! I didn’t know there were 3 modes of how regen charge the battery Tomorrow I will start testing the different modes! Any tips for a commuter in Toronto?

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq Premium SE PHEV
180 Posts
Hello everyone, after almost driving 6k, I accidentally hit the suift paddles and saw this new blue light showing up on my dashboard! I didn’t know there were 3 modes of how regen charge the battery Tomorrow I will start testing the different modes! Any tips for a commuter in Toronto?
You really need to understand how best to use the regen paddles to your advantage. Suggest you start with the Owner's Manual !!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I always use regen L1 for City traffic.....then as traffic thins out I tend to use L2 and L3 ....tbh I love playing with the levels but I'm always weary about my brake lights not warning the driver behind me so I usually stab the brake pedal to warn drivers behind.
Let us know how you go.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You really need to understand how best to use the regen paddles to your advantage. Suggest you start with the Owner's Manual !!
That was the first thing I did yesterday.
I always use regen L1 for City traffic.....then as traffic thins out I tend to use L2 and L3 ....tbh I love playing with the levels but I'm always weary about my brake lights not warning the driver behind me so I usually stab the brake pedal to warn drivers behind.
Let us know how you go.
Many thanks for the feedback. I am looking forward to testing the levels in my way to work. Have a good one.

·
Registered
2020 PHEV Premium Edition
27 Posts
but I'm always weary about my brake lights not warning the driver behind me so I usually stab the brake pedal to warn drivers behind.
My understanding was that the brake lights automatically come on when you're slowing down due to regeneration?

·
Registered
15 Posts
In my opinion the dealer who sold you the car should have shown this almost first! I think everyone will have an opinion on how to set these. One thing I realized that as your battery gets more juice, at the top level the car will not let you use the regeneration feature when it could over charge the battery. I find level 3 regene to be a little annoying, so I only use that when there is little to no traffic. I can live with level 1 or 2 most of the time. I actually find using this feature one of the coolest things of this car. I will eventually do more trials to see how much it affects mpg, but I am still on my first tank of gas:sneaky:

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq Premium SE PHEV
180 Posts
In my opinion the dealer who sold you the car should have shown this almost first! I think everyone will have an opinion on how to set these. One thing I realized that as your battery gets more juice, at the top level the car will not let you use the regeneration feature when it could over charge the battery. I find level 3 regene to be a little annoying, so I only use that when there is little to no traffic. I can live with level 1 or 2 most of the time. I actually find using this feature one of the coolest things of this car. I will eventually do more trials to see how much it affects mpg, but I am still on my first tank of gas:sneaky:
It is true that regen will not operate if the battery is fully charged. You will be advised of this on the instrument cluster.

·
Registered
86 Posts
My understanding was that the brake lights automatically come on when you're slowing down due to regeneration?
No they don't. Regen position 3 puts them on, positions 1 and 2 don't.

suggest you go out at night and observe the rear brake lights reflections so that you can confirm yours are indeed working and you will then know when they do come on. 👍

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq PHEV Limited
41 Posts
Just remember that on all Ioniqs, the regen paddles are not doing anything different from the brake pedal, which also does regenerative braking until the very last few seconds to bring you to a stop. So, using the paddles has no effect on efficiency when compared to using the brake pedal. In fact, as I point out in my older post below, using the paddles is more likely to reduce your efficiency. So, think of the paddles as a nice convenience in certain driving conditions, reducing the need to move your foot from accelerator to brake pedal and back.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just remember that on all Ioniqs, the regen paddles are not doing anything different from the brake pedal, which also does regenerative braking until the very last few seconds to bring you to a stop. So, using the paddles has no effect on efficiency when compared to using the brake pedal. In fact, as I point out in my older post below, using the paddles is more likely to reduce your efficiency. So, think of the paddles as a nice convenience in certain driving conditions, reducing the need to move your foot from accelerator to brake pedal and back.

I was wondering exactly that! I liked to use Level 1 for the snowy conditions today. Level 2 and 3 is much more aggressive and it seems that it imposes more drag when driving, but I guess it is just my reflex feeling...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess with all the COVID going on, I didn't get a comprehensive tour of the car. Maybe the dealership was just bad....anyways, I loved playing with the regen levels today while driving in the snowy conditions. Do you fell that level 1-3 imposes some drag for the car while just moving forward? Congrats on your first tank, it will last quite a while!

·
Registered
2019 PHEV Ultimate
960 Posts
Does Regen use magnets?
It reverses the function of the electric motor so that it acts as a generator putting charge back into the battery. But of course there's charge losses on the way in, plus inverter and resistive losses in both directions, so just coasting the car like a hyper-miler with regen 0 is the more efficient way to drive. As @HafuDutch points out however, it's nice not to have to switch between the accelerator and brake pedals all the time though, which is where the higher regen levels really shine.

Note that regardless of the regen level, the brake pedal always uses regenerative braking first. The mechanical brakes only kick in when regen isn't enough for the amount of pressure you're applying to the pedal, and at low speeds when regen is no longer effective.

·
Registered
AE.3 IONIQ EV Hatch Elite 100KW 38.3 KWH
56 Posts

When you approach the last few metres to a stop if you hold the left side paddle up until the car is completely stationary you can achieve a full stop and hold.. You must hold the paddle up until the car is completely stationary otherwise the normal forward creep with happen. It doesn't matter what level of regeneration or auto detect or the use of the brake pedal to slow down.

You should stop using the brake however before you engage the above technique. This results in a smoother take off than using the auto hold function. Using this technique you do not turn on the auto hold function.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Many thanks everyone! The people on this forum are truly amazing and makes me like my Ioniq even more. Wishing you all a great week.

·
Registered
15 Posts
One more regen question. Does using the regen at higher levels give you more miles per gallon/km per litre? And any data that using your regen at higher levels could shorten battery life? Thanx.

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq PHEV Limited
41 Posts
No, and No. See earlier explanations in this thread, including my response in #9 above, and the older post I link to in that post. To restate: The paddles and the brake pedal are both doing regnerative braking, except for the last few seconds/feet when you come to a stop, at which point the brake pedal will engage physical brakes. What will affect your efficiency (mpg) is how your driving style uses the car's ability to coast farther without adding any new energy. Accelerating and braking, whether you use the brake pedal or set paddle levels, will use more energy, and thereby reduce your efficiency (mpg). Setting a higher regen level with the paddles will slow your car down faster and put some energy into your battery, but if you have to then accelerate to get back up to speed, you will have used significantly more energy than you recaptured, thereby lowering your efficiency. As for battery life, no difference if you apply regen via setting a paddle level vs. manually via the brake pedal.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It is true that regen will not operate if the battery is fully charged. You will be advised of this on the instrument cluster.
Hi, I also get it automatically turned off sometimes for other reasons (not explained) other than the baterry fully charged.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just drive at 0 regen and coast as much as possible. You'll still get regen when you use the regular brakes and the car is insanely good at coasting without losing any speed. It's a freaking marvel compared with everything else I've ever driven.

It's substantially more efficient to coast along than it is to slow down by regen and then speed back up again.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts