Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I searched this forum and seems to have a mix view on jump starting another vehicle.

Is it doable? Does it hurt the EV at all?

The 12v battery is located to the right of the motor and I don't see why it wouldn't work in the traditional fashion of jump starting another vehicle. Reason being our other vehicle hasn't been started for almost a week and in this cold weather it seems to have killed the battery.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Jump charging frequently occurs with the God cars engine running to give power from the alternator, not sure if the traction battery will do this or would want to try.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I read on facebook that it can be done. With the various battery issues people seem to be having however, I would not do it.

You can get a battery pack booster for about 60-100$ from Costco or Canadian Tire.. This is what I have in case of emergency.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Well in Canada it seems that we have just a standard 12V so I wouldnt see why not? Hook cables up and have ioniq in ready to drive mode then start the dead car.
I would advise a bit of caution and consideration before attempting this.
1. The 12V battery on the EV is very light weight so would probably struggle to turn over a large ICE, especially in the temperatures mentioned.
2. Many years ago I kindly jump started a mates car with my engine running and then later discovered my alternator diodes had blown. Apparently (at that time anyway) the voltage regulation of alternators was pretty poor and 2 alternators charging a common battery could cause one to fail. Since then I have never jumped another car with my engine running nor allowed this if I am getting a jump start. The electrics in the Ioniq are extremely complex and may or may not be able to cope........BUT....if not a very large repair bill is likely.
3. The safe option would be to disconnect the EV battery before attempting to jump start.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Allways found with modern electronics in cars, its fatal to carry out the old fashioned method of jump starting another car, the only safe way is to connect the jump leads between the 2 batteries but leave the good cars ignition off without the key in! if you have time just leave the cars sat together and energy will flow from good battery to dead battery, then disconnect leads and start dead car. if you dont have time try and start dead car as is, being careful not to run down the good battery, its wise to run the good car up to normal opperating temp first, so that it starts easily after jump start completed and donor battery has been partially discharged.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Nowadays you can use one of the jumpstart battery packs on the dead vehicle without needing a happy vehicle to jump from. Something like: this battery at Amazon is only $47 and is small to leave in a storage area of your car. Simple solution when you don't have someone to jump your dead vehicle as well.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Allways found with modern electronics in cars, its fatal to carry out the old fashioned method of jump starting another car, the only safe way is to connect the jump leads between the 2 batteries but leave the good cars ignition off without the key in! if you have time just leave the cars sat together and energy will flow from good battery to dead battery, then disconnect leads and start dead car. if you dont have time try and start dead car as is, being careful not to run down the good battery, its wise to run the good car up to normal opperating temp first, so that it starts easily after jump start completed and donor battery has been partially discharged.
Totally agree.

Another point to bear in mind is the gauge (diameter) of the jump start cables. Cheap (Chinese) cables will not always be up to conducting the required current without voltage drop leading to similar symptoms to a near flat battery.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
So I searched this forum and seems to have a mix view on jump starting another vehicle.

The 12v battery is located to the right of the motor and I don't see why it wouldn't work in the traditional fashion of jump starting another vehicle. Reason being our other vehicle hasn't been started for almost a week and in this cold weather it seems to have killed the battery.

Thanks guys.
Check this thread, there is a serious risk of damaging your 12 v battery trying to turn over a convention fuel engine :- http://www.ioniqforum.com/forum/297-what-did-you-do-your-hyundai-ioniq-today/12329-ioniq-recovery-service-;.html

·
Registered
2017 Hyundai IONIQ Electric Premium
755 Posts
The Ioniq EV has a rather small battery and it is not used to pulling big start currents needed to turn over an engine. This is why I wouldn't recommend setting up a classic jumpstart with jumpercables.

The Ioniq EV does have a powerfull DCDC converter to deliver 12V power and charge-up his own battery.

For receiving a jumpstart from annother car, no problem because the Ioniq EV doesn't need large currents to switch on.

For giving a jump start, alternatively just help charging the battery of the receiving vehicle; Switch on the Ioniq EV and leave all 12V equipment in the Ioniq switched off (lights, heaters, ventilation), leave the receiving vehicle switched off, jump the batteries and leave this for half an hour. Disconnect jumpercables and try to start the other car on its own fresh pre-charged battery.
This of course only works if the battery of the other car is still working.

Best option would be to get a booster to help out anyone (or yourself). Like this one; https://www.amazon.de/dp/B015TKUPIC/ref=pe_3044161_189395811_TE_dp_1

·
Registered
339 Posts
I read on facebook that it can be done. With the various battery issues people seem to be having however, I would not do it.
You can get a battery pack booster for about 60-100$ from Costco or Canadian Tire.. This is what I have in case of emergency.
100% agree with Slenrek...

Dont take the risk of jumpstarting a fosil-burner with the smal not up to the task, 35Ah? battery in the ioniq.
I refused to jumpstart someone while i had the Toyota Hybrid to, its not worth the risk.
I said something like: "yes i can, but, I have a 400volt battery in this car, so I dont thing you want me to" >:)

Buy a start-booster thing'y, its a good thing to have both for helping yourself with a dead Ioniq battery or help others..
Theese boosters can also have USB-ports and flashlights on them...
~100-200euro it seems around my area...

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Hyundai IONIQ Electric Premium
755 Posts
How does this work? It is automatic or is there a manual process?
The converter switches on when the Ioniq EV is switched fully on (it replaces the alternator from a regular ICE car). It can deliver about 120 amps for the 12V power systems of the Ioniq and charge the auxiliary battery.
When you connect a second battery, part of the current would come from the Ioniq 12V auxiliary battery (leveling charge), the other part from the DCDC converter charging the hole system (both batteries).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Patrick - I just wanted to thank for the detailed instructions you gave to properly perform the procedure. I ran into a problem today where my wife’s car battery was drained. (Coronavirus lockdown)

We also have a 2017 Hyundai Ioniq EV. I used your directions to trickle charge the other car’s battery. Worked in a pinch!
Going forward, I’m getting a battery charger/conditioner so I don’t run into this problem again!

Thanks again for posting your instructions!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts