Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq Premium PHEV. Blue colour
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is a juice buster 2 ?
I am researchin extension cables in order to be able to reach my parked PHEV Ioniq.
Some of them are described as extension cables for "Juice Buster 2"
Forgive my ignorance.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
2019 PHEV Ultimate
810 Posts
Are you using the charger that came with the car, or do you have a level 2 EVSE installed? If you're using the one that came with the car then just a heavy duty extension cord on the wall socket end will do (12 gauge, and no longer than you need it), if you're extending a level 2 you need a Type 2 / Mennekes extension which is more costly. I'm not familiar with the options in the UK so can't point to anything specific, hopefully somebody local to you can jump in with a recommendation. There will be a wide variety of prices depending on length, flexibility, quality, etc.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you using the charger that came with the car, or do you have a level 2 EVSE installed? If you're using the one that came with the car then just a heavy duty extension cord on the wall socket end will do (12 gauge, and no longer than you need it), if you're extending a level 2 you need a Type 2 / Mennekes extension which is more costly. I'm not familiar with the options in the UK so can't point to anything specific, hopefully somebody local to you can jump in with a recommendation. There will be a wide variety of prices depending on length, flexibility, quality, etc.
Thank you for your reply.
I have nothing installed.
I want to plug my car into a normal 13 amp wall socket in the garage. The lead that came with the car is not long enough.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Thank you for your reply.
I have nothing installed.
I want to plug my car into a normal 13 amp wall socket in the garage. The lead that came with the car is not long enough.
As a temporary (emergency) solution, you can use any heavy duty extension cable. It shouldn't be longer than absolutely necessary, and never on a drum or reel unless fully extended. (A coiled-up cable will produce heat that might damage things, or even cause a fire.)

For a permanent solution, you should get a proper charger installed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As a temporary (emergency) solution, you can use any heavy duty extension cable. It shouldn't be longer than absolutely necessary, and never on a drum or reel unless fully extended. (A coiled-up cable will produce heat that might damage things, or even cause a fire.)

For a permanent solution, you should get a proper charger installed.
Thanks Kevin.
I tried the heavy duty extension lead but it got too hot. In fact i could burn myself on the 3 pin prongs of the plug, so i didnt tried that again!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Thanks Kevin.
I tried the heavy duty extension lead but it got too hot. In fact i could burn myself on the 3 pin prongs of the plug, so i didnt tried that again!
I suggest you have an electrician check your house wiring, wall outlet and extension cable. Something must be wrong.

Overheating is just the reason why charging from a normal household outlet is discouraged. That may indeed cause fires if your electrical installation is old or damaged. But with everything in good condition, the risk should be very small indeed, and there should be no overheating.

I've done a lot of charging with the supplied charger, sometimes using extension cables, and never has anything gone burning hot - lukewarm at most.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Thanks Kevin.
If the "heavy" duty extension lead you are using got hot when fully extended, and not coiled, then it is not Heavy duty enough. If the 13amp plug got too hot to hold there is either a fault in the plug or in the socket you are plugging in to.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions. Very helpful.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Is cost the only reason why you are not installing a dedicated charging point?
Personally I wouldn’t consider buying a PHEV without factoring one in.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is cost the only reason why you are not installing a dedicated charging point?
Personally I wouldn’t consider buying a PHEV without factoring one in.
I am moving house so waiting till I get my new home before I lay out on a charging point

·
Registered
1 Posts
What is a juice buster 2 ?
I am researchin extension cables in order to be able to reach my parked PHEV Ioniq.
Some of them are described as extension cables for "Juice Buster 2"
Forgive my ignorance.
Hi,

I`m in the same situation like you and I bought this one from screwfix and it`s working fine. It`s getting warm of course, but not hot.
Also if you want to close it, you need to remove one of the rubber sealing from the housing.

extension lead

1 - 13 of 13 Posts