Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
I have to agree. We want another EV to replace our 2012 Nissan LEAF while keeping our Tesla Model 3. We’ve test driven several including the Ioniq5 and Model Y. The article’s author pretty much hit the nail on the head in our opinions in that the Model Y is bigger, faster, better handling, and more efficient than the Ioniq5 but the latter is far more comfortable, considerably quieter, and has more of a driver-oriented interface. Having had our Model 3 for four years now, I’m really ready to give up the single touchscreen to my right, and the constant flow of software updates that rearrange things for reasons unknown to those outside of the kiddie sandbox that is Tesla’s UI designers’ offices. And my 3 is quieter and more comfy than the Y, but it is not at all quiet inside at highway speeds, and the Tesla 3/Y models are touted as “sporty” but no reviewer comes close to saying “comfy.” I want comfy and quiet, hence my interest in the Ioniq5, GVxx, Lyriq RWD, Polestar 3, Q4 e-tron, MQx, etc., not one of which is available to me until 2023? 2024? Later?

·
Registered
2022 IONIQ5 Limited AWD Cyber Gray
907 Posts
So uhh... why is it the faster car with multi level regen gets dinged on powertrain? Reminds me of their IONIQ5 review (sans model y) where they bemoaned the acceleration and turning circle and failed to acknowledge both are better.

·
Registered
137 Posts

Yes it is just one websites take but the scoring makes sense, nice to see
The child seat difference is not important to me, and the home charging one would be rarely relevant, since I'd be doing it at night.

I've analyzed my real life daily driving patterns, decided when I'd do a home charge (not every day) and calculated the time it would take to bring it up to 80%. Rarely did it exceed 5 hours, and only once over 6 hours in 6 weeks of analysis. And that's assuming a 40 amp EVSE. There was no day where I would be waiting for the Level 2 charge operation to complete.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Great review! Tesla deserves a lot of credit for kickstarting the EV revolution, but at the same time, their cars are far from perfect and they obviously need competition like this. It's nice to see legit reviewers calling out how they fall short in most (though not all) areas compared to a vehicle $17k LESS expensive, and that's before the $7500 tax credit (I was lucky to get it, I realize now).

Even if Tesla weren't run by a childish egomaniac, I'd still prefer the Hyundai, for much of the same reasons they pointed out (cost also being a big one). Love my Ioniq 5. Here's hoping they can get a plant open stateside to start producing them domestically.

·
Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 Limited RWD
17 Posts
The child seat difference is not important to me, and the home charging one would be rarely relevant, since I'd be doing it at night.

I've analyzed my real life daily driving patterns, decided when I'd do a home charge (not every day) and calculated the time it would take to bring it up to 80%. Rarely did it exceed 5 hours, and only once over 6 hours in 6 weeks of analysis. And that's assuming a 40 amp EVSE. There was no day where I would be waiting for the Level 2 charge operation to complete.
An excellent point - I think too often we get caught up in the numbers and lose sight of what it means in the real world. Our charge window at night is from 10 pm to 6 am - so whether it charges from 20-80% in 4 hrs using a 60 amp L2 charger or 6 hours using a 40 amp L2 charger is really irrelevant.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts