Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Any additional parameters that you can share? When do you charge - experiencing hotter than normal temperatures? Have you contacted wallbox?

Also....what are your AC charger current settings in the vehicle. Per manual:
"You can adjust the charging
current for an AC charger. Select an
appropriate charging current.
ś If the charging process does not
start or abruptly stops in the middle,
reselect another proper current and
re-try charging the vehicle.
ś Charging time varies depending on
which charging current is selected."
I mostly charge at night so the outside temp shouldn't be too extreme but maybe my garage traps some heat. The charger current settings are set to Maximum. I haven't contacted Wallbox yet. These are all great things to try. Last night it charged all the way to 80% so..........I don't know what's up. I need to start narrowing down the possible issue. Changing the current settings to reduced might be a good next step to see if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
2021 mustang mach e, Ioniq RWD LR SE
17 Posts
I mostly charge at night so the outside temp shouldn't be too extreme but maybe my garage traps some heat. The charger current settings are set to Maximum. I haven't contacted Wallbox yet. These are all great things to try. Last night it charged all the way to 80% so..........I don't know what's up. I need to start narrowing down the possible issue. Changing the current settings to reduced might be a good next step to see if it makes a difference.

Good luck - I'm getting my wallbox installed next week - have a chargepoint that the wife uses so hopefully any of the issues people are reporting are a relatively easy adjustment.

Cheers🍻

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
You can't say that until you consistently get the same results with other chargers. I will bet the issue is an overheating charger.
i have the grizzl-e and contacted them. It is not the charger because there are not error lights blinking red..
They asked how many times the red light is blinking but the lights are still green.

·
Registered
8 Posts
This morning was the first morning where I had a problem with my Grizzl-E.

Plugged in and got no acknowledgement from my car. This happens every once in a while and I've learned to disconnect and plug it back in, which is what I did. Received the charging scheduled acknowledgement which would have kicked off around 1AM, and went on my way. Woke up this morning and it hadn't charged at all. Fortunate that I was at 29% and have a short drive in to work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Update: In my case the Chargepoint techs are saying it isn’t heat. But they don’t know what the issue is either. They’ve done a series of reboots and hard resets which have not fixed the issue…. I can’t get a full charge… So far today the charger just stopped after 21 minutes, 6 minutes, and 11 minutes. It isn’t hot in the garage…

I am now waiting 24-48 hours for an email response from someone at Chargepoint to determine the next step.

I’ll keep the board updated on the steps/process and IF there is any diagnoses…

·
Registered
2022 AWD Ultimate Johnny 5
397 Posts
Its not the EVSE, its the Ioniq 5 that is the problem. I frequently get the same issue regardless if its my 48 amp Enel x juicebox or my 32 amp Morec EVSE delivering the juice. I think its related to high ambient heat and the car's internal charger is simply stopping the charge session, not sure how to get around this. The juicebox lets me drop the max amps I will see if that helps, its a bit of a pain for sure.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Update: In my case the Chargepoint techs are saying it isn’t heat. But they don’t know what the issue is either. They’ve done a series of reboots and hard resets which have not fixed the issue…. I can’t get a full charge… So far today the charger just stopped after 21 minutes, 6 minutes, and 11 minutes. It isn’t hot in the garage…

I am now waiting 24-48 hours for an email response from someone at Chargepoint to determine the next step.

I’ll keep the board updated on the steps/process and IF there is any diagnoses…
Have you tried to lower the charging speed settings in the car? I had to go one level down. After that the charging has never stopped for me.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Mine is doing it even in the evenings now. This is a bummer because I commute 150 miles round trip and need the full 90% charge every morning. Now I have to continuously wake up at night checking my phone app to hit start charging. Wish there was an auto restart embedded in the app somewhere.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mine is doing it even in the evenings now. This is a bummer because I commute 150 miles round trip and need the full 90% charge every morning. Now I have to continuously wake up at night checking my phone app to hit start charging. Wish there was an auto restart embedded in the app somewhere.
Yes…I had to reset the charger app 16 times yesterday evening into night in order to get the 90% charge I need for work. I’m waiting to see what Chargepoint does. If they can’t fix it…off to the dealer I go. This is not a sustainable mode of transportation for me. I have to be able to charge over night…

·
Registered
12 Posts
I’m still waiting for Chargepoint to get back to me…I was promised an email in 48 hours which came and went 4 hours ago… All the standard reset over the phone stuff they tried did not work.

However…I was able to charge my car in the garage today. I had to remove the charger (Chargepoint Flex) from my account and set it back up through the app as if it were new. Instead of choosing the 60 amp circuit (which is what I have hardwired)…I chose the 50 amp circuit on set up. In other words…ON THE CHARGER/EVSE ITSELF…not in the car settings…I reduced the power.

At least for one day and one charge…this worked. It takes a bit longer than advertised as I was averaging something like 8.5 kW versus 11.5 on the 60 amp setting… But I got a full charge without the random stop…

I’ll let the board know if my newfound solution keeps working.

It isn’t ideal…and it isn’t what I paid for…but it is functional…

·
Registered
326 Posts
At least for one day and one charge…this worked. It takes a bit longer than advertised as I was averaging something like 8.5 kW versus 11.5 on the 60 amp setting… But I got a full charge without the random stop…
Interesting.. Wouldn't 50A setting be charging at 40AMP (80%) at 240V thus being 9.6KW? (8.5KW is like 35A) can you measure your voltage? maybe the voltage is dropping too much causing some errors. (maybe voltage is going below 220V).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Interesting.. Wouldn't 50A setting be charging at 40AMP (80%) at 240V thus being 9.6KW? (8.5KW is like 35A) can you measure your voltage? maybe the voltage is dropping too much causing some errors. (maybe voltage is going below 220V).
That is not something I know how to do. But I’ll look it up and try this weekend…

Edit. I’m an idiot. The car was still on “reduced” setting from my prior problem solving efforts. I assume the car reduced whatever current the EVSE was allowing…? Thus reducing 9.6 KW to 8.5 KW.

I’ll try it again tonight on “maximum” setting (in the car) to see if I get the 9.6 KW…

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
with this many issues, you would think hyudai would team up with a specific level 2 charger brand, or better yet, make their own. Something that
is in sync with the car, the blue link app, and for the warranty people to be able to research and look over if you have any issues.
I think it is BS for us to figure all this out and for Hyundai to not step up and address this.

·
Registered
2022 AWD Ultimate Johnny 5
397 Posts
with this many issues, you would think hyudai would team up with a specific level 2 charger brand, or better yet, make their own. Something that
is in sync with the car, the blue link app, and for the warranty people to be able to research and look over if you have any issues.
I think it is BS for us to figure all this out and for Hyundai to not step up and address this.
Again, I don't think this has anything to do the various EVSEs("chargers") folks are using. I believe this is a fault with the car itself. I have had this happen on both my 48 amp Juice box and 32 amp Morec EVSE. I got my scan tool out today and lo an behold there is a historical fault stored on my VCMS -vehicle charging management system module , DTC P1BAD:00- "battery charger coupler temperature too high". This apparently occurs when the charge port overheat signal is received from the temperature sensor in the charge port inlet. Possible cause include poor connection, inlet terminal deformation, overcurrent due to failure of EVSE, or faulty charge port temperature sensor.

I got the car booked in Monday and will see if my servicing dealer can sort this.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am having the same issue with the ChargePoint Home Flex. It worked fine for 4 charges. Today I cam out to a 56% charged battery (set for 90%). I have not been able to charge it to 90% in 5-6 more tries.

I know this does not help much… But it seems clear that this is not a charger issue. This is an Ioniq 5 issue…
I wouldnt be surprised if it's an demand issue with the house. I experienced the same and notice my AC is running as well when this happens. it's probably requiring a huge load to both charge and run AC. I turned down my charger from 48 amps to 40 and the problem has never returned.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Again, I don't think this has anything to do the various EVSEs("chargers") folks are using. I believe this is a fault with the car itself. I have had this happen on both my 48 amp Juice box and 32 amp Morec EVSE. I got my scan tool out today and lo an behold there is a historical fault stored on my VCMS -vehicle charging management system module , DTC P1BAD:00- "battery charger coupler temperature too high". This apparently occurs when the charge port overheat signal is received from the temperature sensor in the charge port inlet. Possible cause include poor connection, inlet terminal deformation, overcurrent due to failure of EVSE, or faulty charge port temperature sensor.

I got the car booked in Monday and will see if my servicing dealer can sort this.
Did the service/dealer help in any way?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I wouldnt be surprised if it's an demand issue with the house. I experienced the same and notice my AC is running as well when this happens. it's probably requiring a huge load to both charge and run AC. I turned down my charger from 48 amps to 40 and the problem has never returned.
I did all the reduction stuff on the car itself…on the charger itself…and combined…. Nothing has worked long term. I haven’t had over a 90 minute charge (at home) in over two weeks. I have to charge daily (literally go to a dc charger every day now) to 80%…

21 - 40 of 50 Posts