Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time my wife took our new Ioniq to work and she barely made it home. Her commute is only 160 km she had it plugged into a level 2 charger for 1/2 hour at lunch but only made it back with 3 kms remaining. She left in the morning fully charged.

Temperature was -10 and she kept the heater on at 17 degrees to consume less energy, her car has the cold weather package on it but wow that is crappy range. So my question is this normal or is there something wrong with our car.

·
Super Moderator
1,784 Posts
Maybe this reveals at what high speed she drives?

·
Registered
272 Posts
First time my wife took our new Ioniq to work and she barely made it home. Her commute is only 160 km she had it plugged into a level 2 charger for 1/2 hour at lunch but only made it back with 3 kms remaining. She left in the morning fully charged.

Temperature was -10 and she kept the heater on at 17 degrees to consume less energy, her car has the cold weather package on it but wow that is crappy range. So my question is this normal or is there something wrong with our car.
The 1/2 hour charge added about 3.5kw. Perhaps she should charge at least an hour.

I found the fan speed to be more draining on the charge - try keeping it at the first bar, and set "Driver Only". If she can, she should plug the car in to charge before she leaves while the car is warming up. I suspect she used quite a bit getting the car warm after sitting all day in the cold.

160km commute is right on the edge (as she found out) for winter driving. Snow/cold will reduce the 200km "average". She should definitely charge up more at work.

·
Super Moderator
1,784 Posts
In this Google Sheet you can find other experiences for subzero temperatures. Also there it seems for -10 °C you cannot expect more range than about 150 or 160 km. I think half an hour of charging will not add 3.5 kWh but much less due to the low temperature and the battery temperature management (the battery has to get warm first). So, all in all she did it well with still 3 km left when arriving!

To be more on the safe side, she better can charge it for a number of hours at work. And indeed keep the fan low or let the air internally recirculate so that there is no heating of cold outside air all the time.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Temperature was -10
It won't be too long before it is -30 outside. The range will further reduce. Driving in the snow will also reduce the range. Make sure she charge it longer in the afternoon or find a L3 charger on the way home even you have to pay.

There are other measures to keep warm and conserve energy. As mentioned by Frollo and Jan, lower the fan speed to 1 bar, set the recirculation on. Set to eco mode and drive at a lower speed. Also I found the heated steering and heated seat does not consume that much energy compare to the fan.

You don't want her to get stuck in a disabled vehicle in the winter.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies, we will definitely incorporate some of the suggestions into our driving habits.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Thanks everyone for the replies, we will definitely incorporate some of the suggestions into our driving habits.
Quick thing I can add, check the tire pressure. Seems small but I found my tires were low by 3 psi and my average went from 17kWh/100kms to 28kWh/100kms.

It's super easy to forget to check tire pressure

Reactions: Patrick

·
Registered
39 Posts
I too just took my first drive to work in my new Ioniq. My commute is 104km one way. I believe I left the house with 158km range but I ended up showing up at work with 3km left. Scares the crap out of me that I won't make it home one day due to an accident or something. Temperature outside was -15 C.
Mind you I am unsure about the factors that make it more efficient, I had the AUTO temp on but it was set to 23 C so maybe that was a bit high? Also Driver Only mode was on. I didn't pre heat the car either while charged in, but I also turned the heat off because I noticed how low the range got. My speed was 110/120km/hr for the most part. Does speed really take a big factor into range?

Anyways when I had the heat on and it originally displayed 158km I figured I would show up at work with 50km left. Disappointed to see I barely made it. Luckily there's a L3 charger nearby so I have it charged to go home.
I feel for every actual KM of distance I traveled, the range reduced by 2.5/3km.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I too just took my first drive to work in my new Ioniq. My commute is 104km one way. I believe I left the house with 158km range but I ended up showing up at work with 3km left. Scares the crap out of me that I won't make it home one day due to an accident or something.
That is scary. For me I've found there is a fair loss in -8 and below but I've never had an experience where the car eats more range than the destination. Does your average change a lot while driving?

·
Registered
39 Posts
That is scary. For me I've found there is a fair loss in -8 and below but I've never had an experience where the car eats more range than the destination. Does your average change a lot while driving?
What do you mean average? Like the displayed range on my dashboard?

This is my first time driving that distance, and of course I don't know the tips for efficiency quite yet. I didn't realize how much power the heater uses to heat up the car, and I'm not 100% sure the car was fully charged when I left. I don't think it was. Anyways tomorrow morning I am going to try and pre heat the car, and travel 100/110km/hr with only the steering wheel heater and seats on. Maybe I'll try to maintain the cabin at a lower temp?

·
Registered
384 Posts
What do you mean average? Like the displayed range on my dashboard?
On your gauge cluster screen on the top right there should be an average rating **kWh/100kms or **kWh/km, similar to this picture

The lowest average I had was 6kWh/100kms but that was with over inflated tires according to the sticker in the door (plus traction was worse I will admit). On average I'm around 12kWh/100kms but right now with the cold snap I am around 22kwh/100kms.

·
Super Moderator
1,784 Posts
Better always apply preheating these days!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I believe the average included the energy used to heat the cabin. Next couple of days is a real test with -20c overnight temperature.
Yup, -21 C for me this morning commute and figured out the scheduled pre heating. Wow what a difference! had the heater on at 19C to maintain (pre heat was set to 22) and averaged 105km/hr. Pulled into work with 40km left over and 21.5KWH/100KM. Not bad after reading some more reports.

·
Registered
18 Posts
for some reason i'm getting 22-27/100km these days. Before it used to show 237km at full charge. Now it's only showing 185km at full charge. Is this normal? Now the weather in Toronto getting better my full charge range still displays 185km with everything off. I feel like my battery degraded by 20%

·
Registered
70 Posts
These squeaky bum moments are absolutely the reason I'd never buy an electric only car, especially if I lived in a very cold country. I'd be constantly worrying about running out of juice.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts