Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Ioniq hybrid sel
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made a post a few months ago when I first got my ioniq (2020 SEL)
My mpgs have just been in the mid to upper 40s. Long drives, short drives it doesn't care.
I'm not an aggressive driver by any means. The instant mpg is never above 50 unless I'm coasting or when it goes EV.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
159 Posts
This the equivalent to 55.72 UK mpg, which isn't too bad. It's not good, that would be 8 - 10 UK mpg higher.

Can you give us some context; are you a city dweller with an in town commute, who goes on the open road only at weekends? Do you live in the snow belt, or the desert? Also, do you have a picture of the readout that says whether your driving is ECO, Normal or Aggresive? The SEL has larger diameter alloy wheels? If so, these cost a few mpg, as others here will tell you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This the equivalent to 55.72 UK mpg, which isn't too bad. It's not good, that would be 8 - 10 UK mpg higher.

Can you give us some context; are you a city dweller with an in town commute, who goes on the open road only at weekends? Do you live in the snow belt, or the desert? Also, do you have a picture of the readout that says whether your driving is ECO, Normal or Aggresive? The SEL has larger diameter alloy wheels? If so, these cost a few mpg, as others here will tell you.

City commute to work 10 miles or so , 100 mile trips on the weekends. Live in Florida sooo ya it's hot. Eco 70% normal 30% 0% aggressive. Ya it has the 17" wheels with Michelin eco tires from the factory.

I just expected the instant mpg bar to be closer to 50 when just cruising along.

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq Premium SE PHEV
77 Posts
City commute to work 10 miles or so , 100 mile trips on the weekends. Live in Florida sooo ya it's hot. Eco 70% normal 30% 0% aggressive. Ya it has the 17" wheels with Michelin eco tires from the factory.

I just expected the instant mpg bar to be closer to 50 when just cruising along.
I reckon it's the Air conditioning doing the damage. It won't be much fun in Florida, but try turning it off and see what happens.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I reckon it's the Air conditioning doing the damage. It won't be much fun in Florida, but try turning it off and see what happens.
Tried that this morning to no avail.

·
Registered
159 Posts

I think it's your commute. 100 miles a week in city traffic, probably with the aircon on full blast - 30 something mpg. Then a 100 mile trip at the weekend with the mpg around 55 gives an overall average of 45ish. No car is at its most efficient at the start of a journey, you're either warming up or cooling down the interior, depending on where you live.

With regards to the mpg bar, its time frame is so short that I never have that screen on, you're supposed to be concentrating on the road ahead, so I have the far side of my centre screen showing my average mpg, while I have the compass / Sat Nav repeat on the instrument central display as it's less distracting. I'm really not interested in my mpg over the last 500m, the last day, week, month etc is far more relevant to me. Other views are equally valid.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Instant mpg is always low - never correlates to average mpg (which is always higher you might notice). 17 wheels may a major reason why your mpg isn't as good as you read about here as most owners will have the 15" wheels. Also, I suspect in Florida you are often exceeding 65 mph.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Instant mpg is always low - never correlates to average mpg (which is always higher you might notice). 17 wheels may a major reason why your mpg isn't as good as you read about here as most owners will have the 15" wheels. Also, I suspect in Florida you are often exceeding 65 mph.
Only on the weekends lol. My week day driving is 45 ish the entire way.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Only on the weekends lol. My week day driving is 45 ish the entire way.
If you're in Miami and get up to more than 30 on a weekday then my hat's off to you. I thought Toronto traffic was bad until I went down there once for work...

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq Premium SE PHEV
77 Posts
If you're in Miami and get up to more than 30 on a weekday then my hat's off to you. I thought Toronto traffic was bad until I went down there once for work...
Miami traffic seems like nothing compared to Shoreham by Sea !! ;):cool:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Shoreham's terrible! We were stuck for......5 minutes the other day! :oops: 😂

Reactions: KevinT

·
Registered
2019 hybrid premium se phantom black
2 Posts
At least the hellish Shoreham traffic means I'm at 72mpg after a week!! Every cloud, and all that....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts