Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My previous Fiesta would typically start to whine at me about filling up when I was down to 1/5 of a tank remaining.

I'm down to less than 1/6 of a tank (judging by MPG and remaining range) in the Ioniq, but it hasn't started to scold me about feeding it.

I've no intention of letting it run dry so it'll be fed tomorrow, but I do wonder how low it will go before complaining or if it will even complain at all before it dies.

·
Super Moderator
8,250 Posts
yep,

when you get to about 1/8 tank and 50-60 miles remaining the fuel pump icon turns amber and the guage turns red and you get a notice on the Nav unit asking if you want to find the nearest petrol station (which don't clear until you answer)

if you ignore it and get to 10-15 miles remaining (last red segment) the red segment start flashing at you and you get another request on the Nav unit about finding a petrol station

Attachments

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah, good to know. Thank you!

(I'm tempted to try it out, but I'm worried I wouldn't be able to make it to the next petrol station in time on my usual route home...)

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Don't try it. The fuel pump is in the tank and is cooled by fuel.
Those last few miles can see the pump exposed, potentially leading to early failure - not immediately, but accelerated wear is the thing that kills car components these days, not so much sudden incipient failure.

Basically at the amber warning, find a fuel station.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On my way to the hydrocarbon shop this morning, the warning kicked in. Don't think I'll be letting it get that low again in a hurry...?

--
Posted via Tapatalk on my phone. Please excuse brevity.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
If I'm honest, I find the balance of the car is better if the tank is a quarter full.

Moot point for a non-performance car, but there is a noticeable decrease in ride compliance in mine once the tank goes below that figure, so I tend to run it from three-quarter to one quarter full. Basically still filling up for longer journeys but topping up with 15-20 quids worth when it gets down to about a quarter tank/140 range to go.

You will see a very slight benefit in fuel consumption by not topping-off all the time, (UK gallon of petrol weighs about 6lbs so you're talking 10-12lbs or about 5 kilos for a couple of gallons, not overly significant - while a full 9.5 gallon tankful weighs about 57lbs so then you're lugging around extra fuel unnecessarily).

Again, try it and see if it works for you.

Reactions: Alex

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm a 25000 miles/year driver, and I've been in the habit of filling up when my tank is as close to empty as possible for the last 20-30 years. Have never knowingly experienced any problems resulting from this behaviour, and have probably spent many fewer hours (if not days!) on petrol station forecourts as a result! Just sayin'.

·
Registered
Marina Blue HEV Ltd IONIQ from 25 Jul '17
1,865 Posts
On my Canadian Ioniq, the Low fuel light, with a low fuel warning on the trip computer comes on with a range of about 50 km. When the range drops below 40 km, the trip computer warns me to add fuel to avoid damaging the engine. I've only take it that low once.

Reactions: Tony G

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would like to know how low we can go. I got the "Please add fuel to prevent damage" warning so rather than continue home I turned around and got fuel. The "Range" estimate concerns me since I've noticed it can be far off. Because of that "how low we can go" would be different for a lot of us. Oh! Accessory Idea! like our "reverse camera" we need a "lighted in gas tank camera" so we have a live shot of our fuel swishing around in the tank! Haha! =)

·
Registered
40 Posts
I took my 2017 Ioniq Hybrid to 2miles(range left). I filled the tank to shut-off. That fill-up showed that there was still One Gallon(US) left in the tank. This occurred even while the "Range Left" said "2 miles". So, I believe that that warning (fuel gauge flashing RED) leaves you with a 35 to 55 mile margin for refuelling, depending on outside temperature.

G.W.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Whenever I get a new car (replacement not brand new) I monitor the fuel consumption for the first 5-6 fills and determine the optimum mileage a full tank will do before requiring filling. Having once owned a car with a dodgy fuel gauge I always reset the trip meter every fill, and refill after a set mileage within a narrow margin of the car's calculated maximum range. However, it is comforting to know the car gives fair warning of required topping up.

·
Super Moderator
2,306 Posts
Whenever I get a new car (replacement not brand new) I monitor the fuel consumption for the first 5-6 fills and determine the optimum mileage a full tank will do before requiring filling. Having once owned a car with a dodgy fuel gauge I always reset the trip meter every fill, and refill after a set mileage within a narrow margin of the car's calculated maximum range. However, it is comforting to know the car gives fair warning of required topping up.
Using that method , you'd need to allow for the decrease in range in winter which can be about 100 miles a tank . Or better still never take it to the wire ;) . There's been discussion on this forum regarding mpg increase when the tank is less than half full . The argument makes sense but I've seen no evidence of it in my two and a half years with the Ioniq

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
My actual range is indeed 100 miles less in winter - as much as 140 miles. Pretty accurate because I tend go for maximum range every tank (depending). I live in four season weather with snow.

The range remaining estimate in the last 100 miles is more variable than I had originally thought but much more accurate than any range estimate above 100 miles. I've gone below range zero a number of times now and on two maximal tanks with just a few hundredths of a gallon full difference I was at 40 and 60 miles below zero range (with some gas left). So even using full available range, the guessometer is off. But close.

Half a tank of gas is about 35 pounds. Yes, that is enough to impact mpg, but so slightly that it would be impossible to parse out of all the other variables. For hybrid owners, the environmental impact of vapor loss and spilled drops of gas during more frequent fills is probably higher than any efficiency gains. And your wallet will never notice the difference. It is also a hassle most people would avoid. BEV drivers love passing gas stations, and I'm loving my 700 mile (summer) range.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Using that method , you'd need to allow for the decrease in range in winter which can be about 100 miles a tank . Or better still never take it to the wire ;) . There's been discussion on this forum regarding mpg increase when the tank is less than half full . The argument makes sense but I've seen no evidence of it in my two and a half years with the Ioniq
I've had aircraft which were like that - a small improvement in MPG with half-filled tanks, but never let it go down too far before fuelling-up: There's a difference between pulling in `last gasp` at a petrol station in an Ioniq and falling out of the sky for want of a couple of gallons in an Ikarus..! :eek:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts