Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 - AWD
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 · (Edited)
Update! - here is the response from ColourLock themselves:

"Congratulations on your new electric car, the new breed of today's eco friendly cars are keen to lower the impact on our environment and we are now seeing Vegan Leather, Faux Leather and artificial leather in increasing numbers.
Hyundai "Eco Processed Leather" is indeed a genuine leather but the tanning process is "vegetal", following protocols that have a reduced environmental impact to protect workers and consumers.
Therefore the correct product to use is = Colourlock Leather Shield Kit for new leather. For your car I would select the "Mild Leather Cleaner" option."

So I think that seals it... ;)

COLOURLOCK Leather Shield - Clean & Protect Kit

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have read the posts above, but is this truly real leather? I have had my Cyber Grey Limited for two weeks and noticed that the material scratches verrrrrry easily, and the scratches do not come out at all---even with the standard buffing that one can ordinarily do with leather. I am a male (with short fingernails) and I inadvertently grazed the leather door rest with the edge of my fingernail when pulling the door shut. I used a microfiber cloth to gently polish out the scratch, but it did not disappear at all. This doesn't behave like any leather that I have ever seen before.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have read the posts above, but is this truly real leather? I have had my Cyber Grey Limited for two weeks and noticed that the material scratches verrrrrry easily, and the scratches do not come out at all---even with the standard buffing that one can ordinarily do with leather. I am a male (with short fingernails) and I inadvertently grazed the leather door rest with the edge of my fingernail when pulling the door shut. I used a microfiber cloth to gently polish out the scratch, but it did not disappear at all. This doesn't behave like any leather that I have ever seen before.
US does NOT get real leather ANYWHERE as FAR as I understand.
SOME EU countries do get real LEATHER SEATING surfaces and maybe steering wheels, but nowhere else. So, your "door rest" will not be leather covered ANYWHERE as far as I know. I would not have minded cloth seats on limited trim if I can get couple $K off as vinyl seating is NOT durable especially the ones that are made to resemble leather - the cheap vinyl seats tend to be VERY durable though - think school buses/greyhounds. :)

My '06 Honda Odyssey with leather seating still look quite good even after my 2 boys grew up in it for last 16 years.

·
Registered
34 Posts
SOME EU countries do get real LEATHER SEATING surfaces and maybe steering wheels, but nowhere else. So, your "door rest" will not be leather covered ANYWHERE as far as I know. I would not have minded cloth seats on limited trim if I can get couple $K off as vinyl seating is NOT durable especially the ones that are made to resemble leather - the cheap vinyl seats tend to be VERY durable though - think school buses/greyhounds. :)

My '06 Honda Odyssey with leather seating still look quite good even after my 2 boys grew up in it for last 16 years.
Thank you for confirming. I'm a bit disappointed that the material is so prone to scratches given that this is the Limited Trim no less. I'm certainly glad that I haven't had any of my dogs inside the car at this point. Given the investment, I guess I might as well have the full ceramic coating on the outside as well as some measure of protection provided on the inside. I see that there are "stickers" that are provided on eBay, but those sound tacky and possibly prone to peeling. In addition, I'd be curious to see if the adhesive would adversely react to the materials themselves. I'm certain the installation of such materials requires a high level of precision; otherwise, the end-result would look like garbage.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Thank you for confirming. I'm a bit disappointed that the material is so prone to scratches given that this is the Limited Trim no less. I'm certainly glad that I haven't had any of my dogs inside the car at this point. Given the investment, I guess I might as well have the full ceramic coating on the outside as well as some measure of protection provided on the inside. I see that there are "stickers" that are provided on eBay, but those sound tacky and possibly prone to peeling. In addition, I'd be curious to see if the adhesive would adversely react to the materials themselves. I'm certain the installation of such materials requires a high level of precision; otherwise, the end-result would look like garbage.
It will be tough to "wrap" the seating area especially with perforated seating surface of limited trim.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I might be misunderstanding, the post seemed a touch ambiguous to me, but was it the leather seat material scratching, or material on the door card? There was another thread a couple days ago about scratches to the area on the door card with the little square pattern on it, which is made of some sort of paper material, and I wonder if there might be two separate things here (Protection of the door card material vs protection of the leather seat material)

Or I'm just completely wrong.

·
Registered
MY22 Ioniq 5 AWD
843 Posts

Yeah, my understanding is USA got synthetic. All other countries as far as I know (including us in Aus) got Eco Processed Leather as per post #41 above, at least on top trim Levels. Not sure of Canada though.

Most spec sheets say leather applies to (parts of) seats, steering wheel, arm rests & centre console.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Yeah, my understanding is USA got synthetic. All other countries as far as I know (including us in Aus) got Eco Processed Leather as per post #41 above, at least on top trim Levels. Not sure of Canada though.

Most spec sheets say leather applies to (parts of) seats, steering wheel, arm rests & centre console.
Just double checked, apologies, I think you're right. Hyundaiusa calls it "H-Tex™ leatherette seating surfaces" on the two upper trims (whatever that is exactly). Bummer. Hope the quality doesn't turn out to be a problem.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just double checked, apologies, I think you're right. Hyundaiusa calls it "H-Tex™ leatherette seating surfaces" on the two upper trims (whatever that is exactly). Bummer. Hope the quality doesn't turn out to be a problem.

Another poster already included this image below, but I can attest to what he is showing below. The exterior of the leatherette is paper thin and even the SLIGHTEST grazing by a fingernail or brush with anything innocuous will mark it up. Keep in mind this is the LIMITED/ULTIMATE TRIM, which one would expect to be composed of premium materials. I can also vouch for the area just above this on the door armrest being very sensitive to scratches and marks. Don't even think about having a dog near it or anyone with nails (male or female), jewelry on, clothing that has a zipper, button or fastener, books, paper, or plastics with any measure of a sharp edge. And the marks DO NOT BUFF OUT.
Automotive tire Hood Bumper Automotive design Rectangle

Automotive tire Hood Bumper Automotive design Rectangle

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 AWD
303 Posts
Another poster already included this image below, but I can attest to what he is showing below. The exterior of the leatherette is paper thin and even the SLIGHTEST grazing by a fingernail or brush with anything innocuous will mark it up. Keep in mind this is the LIMITED/ULTIMATE TRIM, which one would expect to be composed of premium materials. I can also vouch for the area just above this on the door armrest being very sensitive to scratches and marks. Don't even think about having a dog near it or anyone with nails (male or female), jewelry on, clothing that has a zipper, button or fastener, books, paper, or plastics with any measure of a sharp edge. And the marks DO NOT BUFF OUT. View attachment 42385
View attachment 42385
That section is paper thin because it is made from paper/paperette.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 AWD
303 Posts
It is unfortunate that it is not more durable.
I agree, there’s too much greenwashing going on with the interior. I’m all for including sustainable materials but only if it’s suitable for purpose. That paper section is there for no other reason than increasing the car’s environmental credentials.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 Ltd AWD
112 Posts
My Ioniq 5 Ltd purchased in SW USA Feb 2022, has the following line in the window sticker:
Leatherette-Trimmed seats; Heated and Ventilated front seats.
Also stated on the window sticker is INTERIOR/SEAT COLOR: DARK GREEN/DARK GREEN
The color choices online are black or 2-tone gray. So, I was expecting a black or gray seats in the "coming soon" I5 I'd put a deposit on. When it arrived, however, the seats are bone white, dashboard top and top of doors is dark green. I've used the seat heater but not the ventilation, yet. For me, the ventilated seats feature has most appeal and the fake leather looks fine. We'll see how it looks in 10 years.
Car Vehicle Gear shift Motor vehicle Plant

·
Registered
386 Posts
I agree, there’s too much greenwashing going on with the interior. I’m all for including sustainable materials but only if it’s suitable for purpose. That paper section is there for no other reason than increasing the car’s environmental credentials.
It's not a question of greenwashing, really (Leatherette is essentially plastic, not exactly green), it's more just the particular material choices made. Obviously time will tell how durable the seat material is, and anyone could have told them that exposed paper was probably not the best idea ever, but since when to corporations always do things that make sense. Everyone who is having issues with it raise a suitable fuss with your dealerships etc and they'll probably revise it if it turns out to be enough of an issue that they'd face a class action lawsuit (or they'll actually face a class action lawsuit of some kind).

This said: Have the materials used made anyone regret their purchase / cause them to advise others to not buy one?

·
Registered
34 Posts
It's not a question of greenwashing, really (Leatherette is essentially plastic, not exactly green), it's more just the particular material choices made. Obviously time will tell how durable the seat material is, and anyone could have told them that exposed paper was probably not the best idea ever, but since when to corporations always do things that make sense. Everyone who is having issues with it raise a suitable fuss with your dealerships etc and they'll probably revise it if it turns out to be enough of an issue that they'd face a class action lawsuit (or they'll actually face a class action lawsuit of some kind).

This said: Have the materials used made anyone regret their purchase / cause them to advise others to not buy one?
I am happy with the car itself - at the moment, but if the interior starts to looks like someone took a fork and scraped the bottom of a Tupperware container with little to no effort after the first year--- for a car that costs nearly $60K in the top trim, then I may rethink my conclusion.

·
Registered
Ioniq5 Ultimate AWD Shooting Star Grey
127 Posts

no regrets

·
Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 AWD LR w. Ultimate (Limited)
48 Posts
It is not "Leather", but leather care products will work just fine (source: I specifically asked the high-end detailing place what they recommend... there is no such thing as "vegan leather cleaning" products).

See my post here for my suggestions for cleaning & care:

41 - 60 of 67 Posts