Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes the US spec sheet specifically says "Leatherette (Artificial Leather)". As for other areas? The maintenance manual has this:
Leather (if equipped)
• Features of seat leather
- Leather is made from the outer skin
of an animal, which goes through a
special process to be available for
use. Since it is a natural product,
each part differs in thickness or
density.

The 'made from the outer skin of an animal' is unambiguous so apparently there are some places that have cars with real leather seats.

·
Registered
954 Posts
As a long time Mercedes Benz owner.... we have Artico, that Mercedes Benz formally describes as 'Man-made leather', and second-hand car dealers just describe it as 'leather'..... it's not that bad actually, but it's... plastic. Not leather.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 - AWD
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Does the local marketing material down-under refer to it as 'leather', or 'leatherette'?
The Aussie Spec Sheet says the following:
Leather appointed seats
Leather appointed steering wheel
Leather appointed centre console armrest w/real stitching
Leather appointed door armrests w/cloth inserts & real stitching

then in the fine print it says the following:
"Finishes specified as leather may contain elements of genuine leather, polyurethane leather (leather substitute) or man-made materials, or a combination thereof."

·
Registered
954 Posts
Leather appointed seats

"Finishes specified as leather may contain elements of genuine leather, polyurethane leather (leather substitute) or man-made materials, or a combination thereof."
This reads as real leather to me... well some real leather, anyway.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 AWD 73
349 Posts
The used leather is Vegan leather so artificial and the best treatment is like you already showed is COLOURLOCK, advised by most professionals.
See COLOURLOCK Kunstleder Pflegeset | Lederzentrum - Spezialist für Lederpflege, Lederreparatur, Beratung
For quick cleaning of small dirty areas, best is to use simply baby wipes. This works the best.
Ioniq 5 with the higher trim seats with footrest has natural leather, not plastic or vinyl. You can feel it immediately as well, and it is especially easy to see on the perforated seats.
How someone could think it is artificial is beyond me...

Probably unpopular opinion, but it's also much better this way. I'd much rather have cloth seats than faux plastic leather made from petroleum products (new word "vegan" to make "plastic" sound better). This faux stuff just doesn't breathe and you end up with swamp ass.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5, Ultimate, Galactic Grey
172 Posts
My previous Tucson had real leather seats, and I could smell that it was real. My understanding is that the Ioniq 5 also uses real leather, although it may well be a combination product where a thin layer of real leather is bonded to a manmade base layer. I would be happy with that. I'm also happy with the idea of other materials being made from recycled bottles - much of my sports clothing is made from such materials and they have excellent properties.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I do believe that the leather in my UK-spec Ultimate is real leather, but on a general note, it isn't very difficult to treat fake leather with chemicals that smell like real leather, so going by smell alone can be misleading. You can even buy yourself one of these and 'freshen-up' any old vinyl-clad car:

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 AWD 73
349 Posts
exactly LOL I am almost certain there is no cow hide on these seats .But I have had leatherette many times and on a BMW it wears way better than most leathers out there. The only leather I would say is great is full grain leather
My Ioniq 5 is very much cow hide, I can assure you. The whole seat cover is made from it.
It also says so in all the leaflets/materials for the car as well. You get in trouble in the EU if you call a synthetic material "Leather". You can't even say "Almond Milk" here on the packaging, you have to say "Almond Drink".

·
Registered
MY22 Ioniq 5 AWD
843 Posts
Leather appointed seats

As with EU it is illegal in AUS to describe something as leather when it is not. The phrase “leather appointed” should guarantee that some part of the seat, steering wheel, etc will be leather. As to which part I have no idea.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 - AWD
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I really appreciate everyone weighing in on this question. Love this forum. Unfortunately we are far from a consensus.
I have asked colourlock directly if there is going to be any huge issues if I use the ARTIFICIAL LEATHER & VINYL Kit on actual genuine Leather and the CLEAN & PROTECT KIT For New Leather on artificial Leather. We shall see what they say.
Has anyone on here used "Leather" Protection on their Ioniq 5? If so what have you gone for?

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq EV Premium Plus
121 Posts
Regardless of whether it is a cow (vegan or not - cows dont eat meat!) at the base or old PET bottles, all leather upholstery in cars (except the most luxurious ones) is mostly a bycast always covered with some top paint layer or PU coating or similar. So treat the surface as vinyl or other plastic. A mild cleanser and then conditioner / balm, no lether grease/oil as the surface is not as absorbent as a bare leather.

Leather types
Aniline
is a through-dyed leather without topcoat or surface varnish. Natural marks such as manure stains and barbed wire marks remain on the leather to retain as much of the natural feel as possible. Aniline has extremely high comfort and breathes a lot, but is also sensitive to spills and stains. If you own a piece of furniture in aniline leather, it is extra important with maintenance so that the leather always has full protection and ages beautifully.
Semianiline is an aniline leather that has been surface treated with an extra protective layer to increase resistance to stains. The natural marks found on an aniline leather are in some cases also present on a semianiline. This leather generally has a good comfort and good breathability.
Cover-colored leather has, as the name implies, additional protection and color on the surface. Breathability and comfort are somewhat limited by the surface treatment, but it instead provides a resistant and durable leather.
Bycast is a split leather that first applies a polyurethane surface, ie plastic. Bycast is shiny and very modern. The leather is usually resistant to stains but has limited comfort and breathability.
Nubuck is polished aniline leather that is completely open. It has a suede-like feel and is extremely sensitive to spills. Nubuck is not a suitable material for a piece of furniture that is used frequently.

An example;
Note: For use on automotive leather only, unsuitable for household leather and clothing.

Reactions: Yardankerty

·
Registered
Own Lucid Blue RWD 73KW Premium Ioniq 5
111 Posts
Is a veggie burger a burger? Is a soy steak a steak? Is vinyl leatherette leather?
Depends whose dictionary and what country your in but generally - the first two - Yes, the last - No.

Burger describes a style of meal (a patty between two slices bun), the word in front describes what the patty is - hamburger, beef burger, turkey burger, veggie burger - Steak used to associated to be meat but normally there is a word in front which describes which cut of meat it was - sirloin, ribeye etc but the word steak is now extended to mean a thick slice of a cut of 'something' so turkey steak, soy steak - so Soy is the food the 'cut' is made, again the word in front describes the 'material' - but in the third both words describe the material - Vinyl leatherette is an artificial material made of a completely different material to leather which is made of an animals skin - manufacturers playing with words to make themselves look green is daft and probably fools nobody. What it is treated with doesn't change from the underlying material being an animals skin (unless it isn't in the first place)! Must admit I read that the Hyundai seats are NOT leather (eg animal skin) but some sort of artificial material which is made to look and sound like leather but isn't.

Sorry - couldn't resist it :) - I just hate the level of playing with words companies now use to make themselves look 'good guys' and try and please all the people all the time - and in the process say nothing but confuse the customer. Of course it will never get as bad as buying a bag of peanuts which has a warning that says 'May contain nuts'!

·
Registered
81 Posts
My Ioniq 5 is very much cow hide, I can assure you. The whole seat cover is made from it.
It also says so in all the leaflets/materials for the car as well. You get in trouble in the EU if you call a synthetic material "Leather". You can't even say "Almond Milk" here on the packaging, you have to say "Almond Drink".
Thanks for that info . I know in north america that they try to fool you into thinking you are getting something you are not by naming it something very similar.. veggie leather for example .. Now someone has said europe gets real leather and and north America gets leatherette in top spec models. I am fine with that if it good quality leatherette.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Depends whose dictionary and what country your in but generally - the first two - Yes, the last - No.

Burger describes a style of meal (a patty between two slices bun), the word in front describes what the patty is - hamburger, beef burger, turkey burger, veggie burger - Steak used to associated to be meat but normally there is a word in front which describes which cut of meat it was - sirloin, ribeye etc but the word steak is now extended to mean a thick slice of a cut of 'something' so turkey steak, soy steak - so Soy is the food the 'cut' is made, again the word in front describes the 'material' - but in the third both words describe the material - Vinyl leatherette is an artificial material made of a completely different material to leather which is made of an animals skin - manufacturers playing with words to make themselves look green is daft and probably fools nobody. What it is treated with doesn't change from the underlying material being an animals skin (unless it isn't in the first place)! Must admit I read that the Hyundai seats are NOT leather (eg animal skin) but some sort of artificial material which is made to look and sound like leather but isn't.

Sorry - couldn't resist it :) - I just hate the level of playing with words companies now use to make themselves look 'good guys' and try and please all the people all the time - and in the process say nothing but confuse the customer. Of course it will never get as bad as buying a bag of peanuts which has a warning that says 'May contain nuts'!
Thats funny (may contain nuts ) This is also funny ."Finishes specified as leather may contain elements of genuine leather, polyurethane leather (leather substitute) or man-made materials, or a combination thereof." . What in gods name could this be LOL My bet is leatherette.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 Premium 2021
42 Posts
The spec sheet says the following:
Leather appointed seats

I don't mind what it's made of - I just want to know which is the best leather protection (or artificial leather protection) product for these seats/steering wheel etc
Any thoughts or in depth knowledge appreciated.

Kits - All DIY Products | COLOURLOCK Australia
I used Renapur Leather Balsam sparingly on my steering wheel and it gives a great feel. Details here....https://renapur.com/car-interiors/

21 - 40 of 67 Posts