50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The spec sheet says the following:
Leather appointed seats
Leather appointed steering wheel
Leather appointed centre console armrest w/real stitching
Leather appointed door armrests w/cloth inserts & real stitching

then in the fine print it says the following:
"Finishes specified as leather may contain elements of genuine leather, polyurethane leather (leather substitute) or man-made materials, or a combination thereof."

I don't mind what it's made of - I just want to know which is the best leather protection (or artificial leather protection) product for these seats/steering wheel etc
Any thoughts or in depth knowledge appreciated.

Kits - All DIY Products | COLOURLOCK Australia

·
Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 AWD Balance Vision
862 Posts
The spec sheet says the following:
Leather appointed seats
Leather appointed steering wheel
Leather appointed centre console armrest w/real stitching
Leather appointed door armrests w/cloth inserts & real stitching

then in the fine print it says the following:
"Finishes specified as leather may contain elements of genuine leather, polyurethane leather (leather substitute) or man-made materials, or a combination thereof."

I don't mind what it's made of - I just want to know which is the best leather protection (or artificial leather protection) product for these seats/steering wheel etc
Any thoughts or in depth knowledge appreciated.

Kits - All DIY Products | COLOURLOCK Australia
The used leather is Vegan leather so artificial and the best treatment is like you already showed is COLOURLOCK, advised by most professionals.
See COLOURLOCK Kunstleder Pflegeset | Lederzentrum - Spezialist für Lederpflege, Lederreparatur, Beratung
For quick cleaning of small dirty areas, best is to use simply baby wipes. This works the best.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 AWD
303 Posts
According to the Norwegian brochure all the main leather is real;

“Seat cover in environmentally friendly treated leather” and “The seats are upholstered in organically processed leather that is dyed and treated with vegetable oil extract from flaxseed..”

“Leather steering wheel with heat”

You can’t call something “leather” here without it being real.

·
Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 AWD Balance Vision
862 Posts
According to the Norwegian brochure all the main leather is real;

“Seat cover in environmentally friendly treated leather” and “The seats are upholstered in organically processed leather that is dyed and treated with vegetable oil extract from flaxseed..”

“Leather steering wheel with heat”

You can’t call something “leather” here without it being real.
We mean with real or natural leather, leather produced from the skin of animals, so the seats of the Ioniq 5 are mostly made of plastic bottles, which may be called synthetic or artificial leather.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I have no reason to think that the leather in my Ultimate did not come from a cow. That said, all mass produced leather these days is heaviliy treated with chemicals, dyed, and coated, so the outer face probably has more polymer molecules than cow dead cells... and BTW, I too recommend Colourlock leather products, not cheap but very effective, in my experience.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 AWD
303 Posts
We mean with real or natural leather, leather produced from the skin of animals, so the seats of the Ioniq 5 are mostly made of plastic bottles, which may be called synthetic or artificial leather.
Sorry, I’m not understanding your reply (and I don’t mean to disrespect you in anyway). If you have the seats in cloth, then yes the seat material is made from recycled bottles.
If you have the leather seats, then the leather is real (animal product) and the back of the seat is covered in material made from recycled bottles.

Vehicle Land vehicle Car White Motor vehicle

Cloth area made with recycled bottles.

I think there’s some confusion with the term “vegan leather” in the IONIQ 5. I know there where some articles in the beginning of the year (before the final production was finalised) stating it will use “vegan leather”. I think this was a “lost in translation” where the processing of the real leather is technically “vegan” and some people mistook this as vegan leather being used in the IONIQ 5

·
Registered
39 Posts
It depends on the market. In Canada ( and I believe the USA) it is called "leatherette".
This is another way of saying vinyl seats. In my humble opinion, fake leather is a downgrade from cloth.
If you are a vegan, and won't wear leather shoes or belts, I get and respect that.
Otherwise, it's just plain cheap, covered up by virtue signaling.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 - AWD
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK now I am really confused... haha

in the first video she says -
"these plush leather seats are made with an eco-friendly processed leather that uses flaxseed oil instead of animal products"

in the second video he says -
"Fabric made from the recycled plastic bottles is used on the Ioniq 5's seats and door armrests. When the seat leather is dyed, flaxseed oil is used instead of animal oil."

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 AWD
303 Posts
OK now I am really confused... haha

in the first video she says -
"these plush leather seats are made with an eco-friendly processed leather that uses flaxseed oil instead of animal products"

in the second video he says -
"Fabric made from the recycled plastic bottles is used on the Ioniq 5's seats and door armrests. When the seat leather is dyed, flaxseed oil is used instead of animal oil."
Both statements are true, if you have the leather seats, then the seat front and sides are covered in leather and the backs in recycled cloth.

·
Registered
954 Posts
It depends on the market. In Canada ( and I believe the USA) it is called "leatherette".
This is another way of saying vinyl seats. In my humble opinion, fake leather is a downgrade from cloth....
Hyundai may have decided to use real leather in some markets but not in others.... just as we in the UK can't get the Vision glass roof :(

·
Registered
Project 45 - Gravity Gold
1,025 Posts
Good - I bought it on the understanding that the seats were REAL leather, & it always pissed me off when they said other parts of it were made from old plastic bottles!
If I wanted my transport to be Green - I'd get on the Bus {even if they're all diesel around here}

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt, waiting for Ioniq 5
816 Posts
So far in the US we don't get any seats - real or fake leather. Still waiting for prices and availability. :mad: Our Features sheet clearly states for the US we will get Leatherette (Artificial Leather) Seats on the SEL and Limited model - maybe, sometime, whenever ??????????????

·
Registered
179 Posts
So far in the US we don't get any seats - real or fake leather. Still waiting for prices and availability. :mad: Our Features sheet clearly states for the US we will get Leatherette (Artificial Leather) Seats on the SEL and Limited model - maybe, sometime, whenever ??????????????
I suspect we'll know something on the 17th when the driving impression moratorium is lifted from the San Diego press event.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts