Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I reserved a matte grey ionic 5 from my local dealer and it is in transit. Should I stay away? Or is it not as bad as people say? How is it holding off for those who got this earlier in europe/asia?

·
Registered
112 Posts
It looks stunning in person but I saw two today in Florida and both included a Dr. Beasely's matte kit to buff it. How many cars come shipped with such accessory?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I reserved a matte grey ionic 5 from my local dealer and it is in transit. Should I stay away? Or is it not as bad as people say? How is it holding off for those who got this earlier in europe/asia?
I have a Matt grey I5, and love it. I never expected it to be such a head turner! (Shooting Star Grey)

It does lose its sex appeal when it gets dirty, as tha pait effect is hidden behind a layer of road mud, and it does show the dirt, espceially at the back, but I wouldnt have chosen any other colour.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 Ultimate RWD + Tech + Eco GG
205 Posts
Another Matt owner here although gravity gold. If I had the choice again it would definitely be a Matt option without question - it's also easier to maintain as there is no polishing.

·
Registered
Project 45 - Gravity Gold
731 Posts
Matt GG here as well, no problem with it except I'd expected it to look more gold than silver.
You've got to look at it either at sunrise or sunset for the gold to shine through.
Maybe that's why they call it 'the golden hour'

·
Registered
IONIQ 5 Project 45 AWD Ultimate 73 Kw
121 Posts
Matt GG here as well, no problem with it except I'd expected it to look more gold than silver.
You've got to look at it either at sunrise or sunset for the gold to shine through.
Maybe that's why they call it 'the golden hour'
I’d go so far as to say the Matte Gravity Gold really hides the grime. When I hand washed (2 bucket 🪣 🪣 method) my car last week I was surprised by how filthy the car was.
In winter I’d go so far as to say the finish is easier to maintain than a gloss finish.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 Ultimate RWD + Tech + Eco GG
205 Posts
I’d go so far as to say the Matte Gravity Gold really hides the grime. When I hand washed (2 bucket 🪣 🪣 method) my car last week I was surprised by how filthy the car was.
In winter I’d go so far as to say the finish is easier to maintain than a gloss finish.
Couldn't agree more. Every time I think about cleaning it, I take a look and think that it doesn't really need it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Dealer told me it is not the day to day that is worse, but repairing a small scratch easily turn in repainting the whole part which can lead to a whole body repainting because of color shift.

·
Registered
Project 45 - Gravity Gold
731 Posts
Dealer told me it is not the day to day that is worse, but repairing a small scratch easily turn in repainting the whole part which can lead to a whole body repainting because of color shift.
Does that really matter - If damaged it goes into the repair shop - that's what I pay the insurance for to put right :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
In my experience it’s as bad as people say. Takes lots of work to keep looking showroom. It’s a magnet for oily residue. Not that other surfaces doesn’t pick up oil but the Matt finish exacerbates it. After someone leans against the car you’ll know or if you have oily hands you’ll have to be careful as well, worse with kids. Check out Hyundai’s Matt finish care.

If you are leasing the I5, I wouldn’t worry about the damage too much, just make sure you get the XS wear insurance. Hyundai Canada told me that the XS wear insurance is only for dealers use when the car is returned after a lease so I don’t think it will fix any damage to your paint while you have the car on lease.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I’m looking to get Shooting Star. If I do, I’m planning on taking it to get ceramic coated the very same day. That’s a premium of $1000 for matte paint and the same cost for the coating. The hope is that it’s worth the cost

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a Matt grey I5, and love it. I never expected it to be such a head turner! (Shooting Star Grey)

It does lose its sex appeal when it gets dirty, as tha pait effect is hidden behind a layer of road mud, and it does show the dirt, espceially at the back, but I wouldnt have chosen any other colour.
that's great to hear Ticklefoot 5 - I have the AWD Ultimate on its way in Shooting Star Grey - did you do anything extra after delivery like coating or just kept as original on delivery ? Anything special when you do decide to wash it ? Appreciate your comments

·
Registered
29 Posts
I really like the matte finish, but didnt want to deal with looking after it. I have read that its a good idea to get some matte PPF as soon as possible.

·
Registered
71 Posts
that's great to hear Ticklefoot 5 - I have the AWD Ultimate on its way in Shooting Star Grey - did you do anything extra after delivery like coating or just kept as original on delivery ? Anything special when you do decide to wash it ? Appreciate your comments
I also have SSG on the way and have decided to get it ceramic coated. It costs around £500 and gives the car a layer of protection against contaminates and scratches. Best thing you can do is PPF wrap but that costs around £2000 for the whole car but as I’m only keeping it for 3 or 4 years then it’s not worth it

·
Registered
3 Posts
I really love SSG, even considered budgeting for a full Xpel Stealth ppf wrap... just not sure if I can justify the cost and work of keeping it's beauty for the many years I'd plan to keep it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Done just over 1200 miles now in my matte grey I5. Protected it with Dr Beasley products and now easier to wash than my previous gloss cars; hose, foam and hose off; job done. Am aware that minor repairs are likely to be more expensive but that is why i have an insurance excess:)

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 73kw Ultimate RWD, Tech and Eco.
23 Posts
Matte paint has less drag...hence faster and better efficiency!!
Just look at the F1 cars!! :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Another gravity gold owner here. I'm a home 2 bucket washer and I've bought some matt paint shampoo that's more slippery than normal shampoo to reduce the risk of washing "polishing" the paint. I do wonder how easy it'd be to get a repair done if needed.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts