Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple of reservations for the Limited RWD. It's been bare bones, but I've been willing to wait 3-6 months to see if things change before giving up and going for something else. It now sounds like things are going to be a lot worse than that. Is that true, for the US as well? I could probably go AWD if it helps availability, but don't like the drop in range.

Is 3-6 months for the Limited RWD a ridiculous thing to hope for? Do I bite the bullet and go for the EV6, or even a PHEV at this point? I need the Limited trim, and I prefer range to speed to the RWD just makes sense.

Help! If it's a pipe dream I'd like to pull the trigger on other options while there's still hope.

·
Registered
140 Posts
With the way things happen world wide, I don't think one can be picky. If you get anything that's close to what you want for a good price (there is still lots of price gouging out there) you should also buy a lottery ticket.

I wanted a limited in shooting star gray with light interior, I got a white with black interior for just a little over MSRP. Another dealer told me he'd order my version for me and it would only be a month or max two. I didn't risk it and I'm glad I didn't. I actually have the car I wanted and I'm ok with it being white and even the black interior isn't as bad as I thought it would be due to the big sunroof lighting up the inside.

I'm a happy camper and would do it again the same way.

So, don't give up. Search for what you want and if you find something that close enough so you feel good about it, go for it.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have a couple of reservations for the Limited RWD. It's been bare bones, but I've been willing to wait 3-6 months to see if things change before giving up and going for something else. It now sounds like things are going to be a lot worse than that. Is that true, for the US as well? I could probably go AWD if it helps availability, but don't like the drop in range.

Is 3-6 months for the Limited RWD a ridiculous thing to hope for? Do I bite the bullet and go for the EV6, or even a PHEV at this point? I need the Limited trim, and I prefer range to speed to the RWD just makes sense.

Help! If it's a pipe dream I'd like to pull the trigger on other options while there's still hope.
What do you mean by a couple reservations for the Limited RWD? You have your name on the list at multiple dealerships for when one of them gets a Limited RWD allocated to them or multiple dealerships told you they will order one specifically for you?

The Limited RWD is my preferred configuration as well. To date only a handful of Limited RWD have made it to the US and all are on the west coast. The api data still only shows Limited AWD coming to the east coast.

I have other EV options for 2022 tax credit purposes so I plan to wait until 2023 for Limited RWD at which time I hope supply has improved to get rid of these markups and to have Limited RWD available on the east coast!

·
Registered
2022 Preferred AWD LR Ioniq 5
325 Posts

The 20" rims and consequently larger tires are a bigger drop in range than the AWD if you're driving in eco mode. The reason all AWDs look bad is because Hyundai only tested the limited AWD in normal mode (the normal mode part is required by EPA testing). So all AWDs are rated with the limited AWD range. Don't buy a RWD limited for range.

·
Registered
76 Posts
from what I’ve read the doom and gloom on reservations being cancelled is only in Canada. US likely has way more cars coming in than Canada did/does. I haven’t heard of any reservations being canceled

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 20" rims and consequently larger tires are a bigger drop in range than the AWD if you're driving in eco mode. The reason all AWDs look bad is because Hyundai only tested the limited AWD in normal mode (the normal mode part is required by EPA testing). So all AWDs are rated with the limited AWD range. Don't buy a RWD limited for range.
Can you elaborate?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What do you mean by a couple reservations for the Limited RWD? You have your name on the list at multiple dealerships for when one of them gets a Limited RWD allocated to them or multiple dealerships told you they will order one specifically for you?

The Limited RWD is my preferred configuration as well. To date only a handful of Limited RWD have made it to the US and all are on the west coast. The api data still only shows Limited AWD coming to the east coast.

I have other EV options for 2022 tax credit purposes so I plan to wait until 2023 for Limited RWD at which time I hope supply has improved to get rid of these markups and to have Limited RWD available on the east coast!
One dealership told me he would order one specifically, but I don't believe it. I think it's a priority list thing. Still, $500 refundable deposit why not.

The other said it was a priority list. He was very open and honest, said 2-8 months. I called today and he had forgotten to put my name on the list, forgot to charge me. I should have asked for a receipt at the time, but I got busy. So I'm quite annoyed.

I don't know if any of this means anything. My wife says if we don't have a new car by the end of the summer she'll go buy a Ford Escape. I don't want a Ford Escape, lol. So I have to figure this ish out.

·
Registered
71 Posts
US RWD are surprisingly being shipped with the 19" wheels

·
Registered
530 Posts
I don't know if any of this means anything. My wife says if we don't have a new car by the end of the summer she'll go buy a Ford Escape. I don't want a Ford Escape, lol. So I have to figure this ish out.
ha ha.. It is ME who is scaring my wife with threat to buy Mustang Mach-E. (I am luke warm about it, my wife HATEs that car).

But she wants Limited AWD but she does not like shooting star or black or the blue. (I know, she IS picky)
I am trying to get her to like shooting star, but oh well. I do have couple of dealers that tells me that they can do custom order for $500 refundable deposit. That said, if you are going this route, do confirm they do NOT charge any mark ups as they can order and when the car comes in, they can tell you $5k mark up, take it or leave it.

·
Registered
321 Posts
One dealership told me he would order one specifically, but I don't believe it. I think it's a priority list thing. Still, $500 refundable deposit why not.

The other said it was a priority list. He was very open and honest, said 2-8 months. I called today and he had forgotten to put my name on the list, forgot to charge me. I should have asked for a receipt at the time, but I got busy. So I'm quite annoyed.

Ha ha...any Ioniq 5 trim is better than an ICE! Your best bet by end of summer is to get on lists for Limited AWD if you need Limited.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’m on the East Coast. Called dealership mid-March. They said they had a limited awd shooting star on the way. I gave my 1000 deposit. Received the car last week. I had no idea this was such a nightmare and don’t understand how I walked in and got one so easily

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I’m on the East Coast. Called dealership mid-March. They said they had a limited awd shooting star on the way. I gave my 1000 deposit. Received the car last week. I had no idea this was such a nightmare and don’t understand how I walked in and got one so easily
What dealership? I'm about ready to plump for an AED at this point, as long as it is MSRP

·
Registered
772 Posts

Before I bought my I5 I placed a deposit on a mustang mache, this was 2 months ago. After a month the dealer said it could be 9 to 12 months. Today I get an email from ford with a build date of may 6th and a vin number so don't give up hope

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 SE AWD
249 Posts
We placed a reservation deposit on a VW ID4 in August 2020. At that time the estimated delivery was April 2022. In February 2022 VW notified us that delivery was likely to be somewhere between August and October 2022. About the same time we found an Ioniq 5 SE AWD at a dealer 65 miles miles away and after a week of back and forth with the dealer we bought it. So far so good. We did cancel the ID.4 reservation and VW did promptly refund our deposit. We're still awaiting a refund from the Toyota dealer for a deposit for a RAV4 Prime.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 Ltd AWD
117 Posts
Before I bought my I5 I placed a deposit on a mustang mache, this was 2 months ago. After a month the dealer said it could be 9 to 12 months. Today I get an email from ford with a build date of may 6th and a vin number so don't give up hope
I'll add my contrasting data point here. I looked at available and "coming soon" BEV late last year. I ordered a Ford Mach e. Around 2 months into the "wait", I looked at agreeable alternatives to that order, mainly "arriving or on the lot" BEV Ford MME, Kia EV6, Hyundai Ioniq 5, VW ID.4, and waitlisted at multiple dealers. I expected to wait even more. I was surprised to be offered the "perfect" Ioniq 5 teal/green Ltd, but with $4K markup. I took the deal, using my trade-in markup to offset the dealer markup. I am quite satisfied with the way it played out for me. I have held onto the Ford MME order but don't expect to see it until this summer/fall the way Ford is going. (I'm 19 weeks into waiting for this order, without "a biuld date". There is much perceived unfairness/arbitrariness and poor communication in Ford's ordering system.) IMHO, the Ioniq 5 is every bit as good a BEV, with a few better qualities than the Ford.
Automotive parking light Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Grille Car

·
Registered
772 Posts
I'll add my contrasting data point here. I looked at available and "coming soon" BEV late last year. I ordered a Ford Mach e. Around 2 months into the "wait", I looked at agreeable alternatives to that order, mainly "arriving or on the lot" BEV Ford MME, Kia EV6, Hyundai Ioniq 5, VW ID.4, and waitlisted at multiple dealers. I expected to wait even more. I was surprised to be offered the "perfect" Ioniq 5 teal/green Ltd, but with $4K markup. I took the deal, using my trade-in markup to offset the dealer markup. I am quite satisfied with the way it played out for me. I have held onto the Ford MME order but don't expect to see it until this summer/fall the way Ford is going. (I'm 19 weeks into waiting for this order, without "a biuld date". There is much perceived unfairness/arbitrariness and poor communication in Ford's ordering system.) IMHO, the Ioniq 5 is every bit as good a BEV, with a few better qualities than the Ford.
View attachment 41721
what i like about the I5 is that it was a clean sheet of paper

·
Registered
772 Posts
We placed a reservation deposit on a VW ID4 in August 2020. At that time the estimated delivery was April 2022. In February 2022 VW notified us that delivery was likely to be somewhere between August and October 2022. About the same time we found an Ioniq 5 SE AWD at a dealer 65 miles miles away and after a week of back and forth with the dealer we bought it. So far so good. We did cancel the ID.4 reservation and VW did promptly refund our deposit. We're still awaiting a refund from the Toyota dealer for a deposit for a RAV4 Prime.
I just got my tesla truck deposit and my frisker deposit back less the 25 bucks frisker stole from me so much for 100% refundable

·
Registered
2022 IONIQ5 Limited AWD Cyber Gray
1,128 Posts
View attachment 41721
It rides soooo much better and the interior! Same, paid a hefty markup, haven't not been delighted with this car every time I drive it, also interest and questions only seem to increase over time lol.

Plus it came with a charger :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts