Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is it just me or do you find that driving your Ioniq actually feels calmer than other cars or is it simply the EV function that has slowed and relaxed my driving style more than other non-EV cars in my past?

I've always considered myself a confident, good and safe driver. Assertive certainly, yet not an excessive speeder nor slug-slow or erratic or a nervous driver either. I watch traffic signals and other cars reactions well beyond just the vehicle(s) directly ahead of me and I use my mirrors judiciously.

However with my Ioniq, especially in EV mode, I feel that I'm somehow a bit calmer driver as well and so far without attracting angry horn honking chastisement from other drivers either.

Even in dense stop and go city traffic conditions, it's like this car has an almost ethereal, OM-like effect (or should I say Ohm-like effect?) and I happily find myself feeling more relaxed, yet driving with even more forethought to my car, the road around me and other variables than I've experienced in any other vehicle.

The Ioniq is my first ever EV variant, so is this it?

Regardless, it's a good thing to me!

What are your thoughts on your Ioniq driving experience?

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
On spot. I have the same thoughts.

I have driven a car regularly since 1977, but never had such "zen", or relaxing, experience. There is something "magic" about the car that make me feel at ease and drive smoothly, safely and fully observant on traffic.

Even on a bright and dry summer day, coming to a fine straight piece of road, I don't feel any urge to press pedal, just to "feel it" or get my adrenalin level higher. That feels very unnecessary. Just except a very few times when I have been a bit curious of what the car can do, like a demanding mountain uphill.

My son has a brand new Tesla Model 3 Performance. Can't say more than "wow". The difference in foot pressure on the pedal between a smooth drive and a rocket feeling is so small. Even the brakes feel like they can brake from any speed to zero in second. I was tempted all the time, "wow, what a car", giving me easy adrenalin kicks.

Ioniq has more zen response to pedal and everything, especially in ECO mode as I I'm always in. To make it perform, you have to really kick down. But the whole car has an "aura", look and feel, for the driver especially, that makes you be moderate. Driving is not, should not be, about adrenalin. Not on a daily basis, at least.

As said hundred times, love this car. Love it's a PHEV, exactly as I wanted when purchased in 2017. It's like a perfect butler, makes you relax, does what you want, when asked, even the more extreme things, if you really mean it and ignores the slight hesitation and lifting of eye brows of the good butler.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
On spot. I have the same thoughts.

I have driven a car regularly since 1977, but never had such "zen", or relaxing, experience. There is something "magic" about the car that make me feel at ease and drive smoothly, safely and fully observant on traffic.

Even on a bright and dry summer day, coming to a fine straight piece of road, I don't feel any urge to press pedal, just to "feel it" or get my adrenalin level higher. That feels very unnecessary. Just except a very few times when I have been a bit curious of what the car can do, like a demanding mountain uphill.

My son has a brand new Tesla Model 3 Performance. Can't say more than "wow". The difference in foot pressure on the pedal between a smooth drive and a rocket feeling is so small. Even the brakes feel like they can brake from any speed to zero in second. I was tempted all the time, "wow, what a car", giving me easy adrenalin kicks.

Ioniq has more zen response to pedal and everything, especially in ECO mode as I I'm always in. To make it perform, you have to really kick down. But the whole car has an "aura", look and feel, for the driver especially, that makes you be moderate. Driving is not, should not be, about adrenalin. Not on a daily basis, at least.

As said hundred times, love this car. Love it's a PHEV, exactly as I wanted when purchased in 2017. It's like a perfect butler, makes you relax, does what you want, when asked, even the more extreme things, if you really mean it and ignores the slight hesitation and lifting of eye brows of the good butler.
Glad it's good for you too! 🙏

·
Registered
22 Posts
😊👍 Zen it is........New marketing campain!

Have you experienced Zen in your car? If not drive a Hyundai Ioniq and be at peace with your travels. LOL!

·
Registered
266 Posts
There's a definite peaceful quality to it when it's in EV mode. I try only to use HEV mode once I'm up to speed on the highway and the engine can maintain constant rpm, or if I can't avoid it, turning on HEV before merging onto the highway so I can get up to speed quick enough to cleanly merge.

I ran out of electrons in the city once and it fell back to HEV mode, noisily rowing through the gears as I pulled away from stop signs and traffic lights. I did not like it Sam-I-Am, I did not like that clattery jam.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
😊👍 Zen it is........New marketing campain!

Have you experienced Zen in your car? If not drive a Hyundai Ioniq and be at peace with your travels. LOL!
Yes.... plus your first drive is free!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ran out of electrons in the city once and it fell back to HEV mode, noisily rowing through the gears as I pulled away from stop signs and traffic lights. I did not like it Sam-I-Am, I did not like that clattery jam.
I haven't noticed quite that experience so far, mind you by comparison my other car is a noisy little British sport car. ;)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I don't know about Zen?
But its EV and eco mode all the way for me.
Out of London for 9 years, but the Ioniq PHEV has made my life tranquil on the road.
Thats why I do not turn off Lane assist, as I may just get too spaced out soon.
By the time I hit 1k miles I will consider driving it to be more relaxing than a hot bath and a glass of whisky( Irish).
:sleep::cool::love:o_O(y)

·
Registered
266 Posts
I haven't noticed quite that experience so far, mind you by comparison my other car is a noisy little British sport car. ;)
My previous car was a 2012 Genesis Coupe, the 3.8 GT Manual with dealer installed axle back exhaust and cold air intake kits. That was the year before Hyundai switched to GDI engines, and it made glorious noises under power. I do miss flooring that car in tunnels with the windows down and sunroof open but that was another life, the sunroof was already broken and disabled when I traded it for the Ioniq. 1.6 liter 4 cylinder GDI noises are a clatter versus that MPFI 3.8 liter V6 with the variable valve timing...

Mr Horse: "No sir, I didn't like it."

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My previous car was a 2012 Genesis Coupe, the 3.8 GT Manual with dealer installed axle back exhaust and cold air intake kits. That was the year before Hyundai switched to GDI engines, and it made glorious noises under power. I do miss flooring that car in tunnels with the windows down and sunroof open but that was another life, the sunroof was already broken and disabled when I traded it for the Ioniq. 1.6 liter 4 cylinder GDI noises are a clatter versus that MPFI 3.8 liter V6 with the variable valve timing...

Mr Horse: "No sir, I didn't like it."
Nice car Kevin, I can well imagine the handling too, especially with the giddy-up factor a pretty respectable 0-60 MPH in under 6 secs!

My dear old MG is a ton of fun to drive, however far less refined and looks much faster than it actually is with 0-60 in a vague 11 secs. Even warmed up, what with the solid lifters, it sounds a bit like an old Singer sewing machine, but with a lovely burbling exhaust note.

Overall the Ioniq has much more grunt and is way, way quieter, not to mention greener! Ooops.... mentioned it.

Vive la différence!! 🥂

·
Registered
16 Posts
Same experience. I have always been an enthusiastic driver, not to say competitive in my younger days. Now, after only 1,000 miles, I am relaxed in town and on the open road, well, 60 odd mph is fast enough isn't it?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Same experience. I have always been an enthusiastic driver, not to say competitive in my younger days. Now, after only 1,000 miles, I am relaxed in town and on the open road, well, 60 odd mph is fast enough isn't it?
About the only thing that keeps me from being completely zoned out is wondering when I am going to get my first punctured tire and having to use the puncture goo in the tin and the mini compressor.
I think this is something the dealer should show how to do, say once a month for new owners of the EV and PHEV.
Or do I just push that red button in the roof above the rear view mirror and let BlueLink take the strain?

RELAXED

·
Registered
212 Posts
Had same Zen feeling in old 2008 Prius at highway speed. Smooth, quiet floating feeling. Huge windows for panoramic views front and sides. Combined with defensive driving to max space around car on all sides, it was almost like flying down private highway ☺

Wonder if any hybrid or EV can be like that, not just Prius and Ioniq.

·
Registered
204 Posts
About the only thing that keeps me from being completely zoned out is wondering when I am going to get my first punctured tire and having to use the puncture goo in the tin and the mini compressor.
I think this is something the dealer should show how to do, say once a month for new owners of the EV and PHEV.
Or do I just push that red button in the roof above the rear view mirror and let BlueLink take the strain?

RELAXED
Have you had many punctures on your previous cars? I'm not all that worried.

After some 10 cars and 43 years of driving, I can remember only one real puncture. That was on my very first car which I bought used. It came with very suspicious retreaded tires which weren't even properly balanced.

Other than that, I have had a snow tire that leaked air very, very slowly, so that I had to top it up once every eight or ten days. That leak was so small that I had plenty of time to take the car to a garage to have it fixed. No need for a spare tire or a repair kit.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Have you had many punctures on your previous cars? I'm not all that worried.

After some 10 cars and 43 years of driving, I can remember only one real puncture. That was on my very first car which I bought used. It came with very suspicious retreaded tires which weren't even properly balanced.

Other than that, I have had a snow tire that leaked air very, very slowly, so that I had to top it up once every eight or ten days. That leak was so small that I had plenty of time to take the car to a garage to have it fixed. No need for a spare tire or a repair kit.
You are quite right most of the tyre punctures I have had have been slow.
Most punctures were probably due to being on building sites and or taking rubbish to the local recycling tip.
Retired now so building sites are a thing of the past, Ioniq not suitable for a rubbish run.
One puncture was a very large tree thorn (slow leak).
The only bad tyre failure in 40 + years was the inside side wall of a tyre getting cut and instant deflation, Traced to metal embedded in road edge.

It's going to be the AA or BlueLink that fix the tyre or transport me to the dealers repair yard from now on.
So Zen is high.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Electrical engine comes with far less noise and vibration, that's definitely a true difference, the Zen alike environment.
But this not necessary good thing for every drivers, as some may found this will make them drowsy and sleepy.

Definitely a good thing for passengers.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have tried to analyse why I feel chilled even in slow heavy traffic in my bev Ioniq. I put it down to the excellent auto cruise where 99% of the hassle is handled for me. The tiny effort involving my right index finger to resume movement in such traffic is a thing of beauty. When stopped I can observe the outside world with indifference rather than having to be ready to move hands and feet at a moments notice. On the open road, it allows me to plan ahead better to avoid being boxed in and is so much better than a dumb cruise system as it adjusts for slower cars in front so that an overtake can be better planned without having to drop out of cruise. That, linked to the serene experience, should be enough for even the most hardened hooligan to relax and enjoy the drive rather than get stressed.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I think it changes your driving style dramatically. The goal is getting the most mileage with the least amount of energy. I think the Michelin Green X lends to a more leisurely driving style too. However after gettting a set of grippy winter tires, the driving dynamic is completely different. I used to be able to coast and creep from stand still. Now it won't do any of that. It stops too quickly, turns too sharply and barely creeps forward. Its handling feels sporty but now the car feels underpowered. It darts in and out of corner too well and encourages you to give it more gas. I'm curious about how anyone with BEV think about snow tires and how it's changing the feel of your car.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sport or manual shift mode, versus auto eco mode, I know there are other threads that cover this.
BUT.
I used sport mode for the first time today with my PHEV, the ZEN chilled out factor dropped away to zero.
First there is a lot of growl from the engine and second I am having to think about gear changes.
I was using the flappy paddles on the steering wheel rather than the stick shift.
At least I now know how to use engine braking going down steep hills, and thats about as far as I want to go with sport mode.
Zen was back to normal by the time I arrived on the house drive in auto eco mode.:):):):)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I think it changes your driving style dramatically. The goal is getting the most mileage with the least amount of energy.
Sport or manual shift mode, versus auto eco mode, I know there are other threads that cover this.
BUT.
I used sport mode for the first time today with my PHEV, the ZEN chilled out factor dropped away to zero.
First there is a lot of growl from the engine and second I am having to think about gear changes.
I was using the flappy paddles on the steering wheel rather than the stick shift.
At least I now know how to use engine braking going down steep hills, and thats about as far as I want to go with sport mode.
Zen was back to normal by the time I arrived on the house drive in auto eco mode.:):):):)
I know, huh guys?
That Manual Sport mode does have a purpose though, even if it does burn a bit more gas IMO. If I pay attention and keep just ahead of the shift to keep the revs minimum, that extra Sport charge goes back into the battery for EV city use.
I generally go Sport mode on the highway if going a longer distance since I would be changing to HEV anyway, but I figure RPM-wise, the 6th gear should be the same between HEV and Sport mode, so might as well send the most electrons back into the battery and Sport does do that. Plus to me, the steering feels a bit tighter.
I also find the console shifter more functional for manual shifting, more natural & less brain work for me anyways and yes, like you fellas I like to chill in auto EV mode once my highway journey is done. :):):):)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts