Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
262 Posts
That's great news, but from the pic, it looks like you have to pull your iPhone out of your pocket to unlock the door. I was hoping that it would work like the fob and I wouldn't have to reach into my pocket.
With my Tesla, I don't use a fob and I can leave my phone in my pocket. Hopefully, Hyundai's version works like that.
Can anyone verify how it will work?

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's great news, but from the pic, it looks like you have to pull your iPhone out of your pocket to unlock the door. I was hoping that it would work like the fob and I wouldn't have to reach into my pocket.
With my Tesla, I don't use a fob and I can leave my phone in my pocket. Hopefully, Hyundai's version works like that.
It does say in the article it’ll unlock on approach so it should work the same I would think

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It does say in the article it’ll unlock on approach so it should work the same I would think
It looks like that is ultra wideband phones to clarify. So iPhone 11 and up I believe

· Registered
345 Posts
you are correct, but it is not for ioniq 5 or at least it is not for 2022 model year. It is for Genesis GV60
The article in question specifically says Hyundai, mentioning genesis and Kia have already been added to whatever this database is they’re looking at.

Androids digital key is already available on some Hyundai models. It’s probably safe to assume this will apply to those models. Tech is essentially the same.

· Registered
84 Posts
I think this might be for limited 2022 potentially, and SEL & Limited 2023, as they are gaining NFC handle chip. Let’s hope.
I don’t think 2022 SE/SEL have the NFC chip in the door handle. I hope I’m wrong, as I’m about to purchase a 2022 SEL. But we’ll see.

· Registered
44 Posts
The article in question specifically says Hyundai, mentioning genesis and Kia have already been added to whatever this database is they’re looking at.

Androids digital key is already available on some Hyundai models. It’s probably safe to assume this will apply to those models. Tech is essentially the same.
Yes, but nowhere does it say it is coming to existing cars. The 2022 IONIQ 5 does not have UWB so it will not support the proximity based digital Car Key. If it gets supported at all, it will only work with NFC which requires you to tap the door like Android or Apple Pay.

· Registered
47 Posts
Yes, but nowhere does it say it is coming to existing cars. The 2022 IONIQ 5 does not have UWB so it will not support the proximity based digital Car Key. If it gets supported at all, it will only work with NFC which requires you to tap the door like Android or Apple Pay.
You have to drill through a couple of links, but there is a list of compatible cars that includes the '22 Ioniq 5:

[deleted] - an article on the site claims to link to a list of car key vehicles, but the list is actually Car Play compatibility.

Make of that what you will, of course--who knows?

· Registered
44 Posts
You have to drill through a couple of links, but there is a list of compatible cars that includes the '22 Ioniq 5:

Make of that what you will, of course--who knows?
Uhh, where does it say that? That is just a list of cars that supports CarPlay. We know it supports CarPlay. We are talking about Car Key.

· Registered
204 Posts
I think this might be for limited 2022 potentially, and SEL & Limited 2023, as they are gaining NFC handle chip. Let’s hope.
I don’t think 2022 SE/SEL have the NFC chip in the door handle. I hope I’m wrong, as I’m about to purchase a 2022 SEL. But we’ll see.
NFC is not sufficient for unlock on approach. It's in the name: "near field communication". NFC requires the distance between the tag and the reader to be about an inch.

True walk-up unlock using a phone key requires either BLE (this is what Tesla's phone key implementation on 3/Y/2022 S/X uses), or UWB (this is what Genesis uses for GV60). Neither the 2022 nor the 2023 Hi5 has been announced to include the required hardware for either of those.

Reactions: zamafir

· Registered
262 Posts
NFC is not sufficient for unlock on approach. It's in the name: "near field communication". NFC requires the distance between the tag and the reader to be about an inch.

True walk-up unlock using a phone key requires either BLE (this is what Tesla's phone key implementation on 3/Y/2022 S/X uses), or UWB (this is what Genesis uses for GV60). Neither the 2022 nor the 2023 Hi5 has been announced to include the required hardware for either of those.
What do Android phones use? BLE or UWB?

· Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 Limited AWD
137 Posts
Neither, they use NFC.
OMG! You have to actually take it OUT of your pocket? And here I was hoping for something more automagic.

FWIW, I enjoy my NFC credit card key when I don’t wish to carry a FOB. iPhone NFC would do the same trick with one less thing to carry. Hopefully it will work through my Otterbox case. I don’t mind taking the phone out of my pocket, but taking it out of the case is more of a PITA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

· Registered
204 Posts
I'm guessing the 2023 may use the same UWB tech that the GV60 uses. That supports newer iPhones and Samsung phones.
It’s not mentioned in dealer spec sheets for MY2023.
So unless Hyundai decided to not announce it for some reason (doubtful, since they specifically called out NFC for SEL trim), it’s not happening.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts