Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq EV Premium Plus in Intense Blue
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2020 Ioniq Electric and for 90% of the time, I use the car well within the available range and charge at home.

However, occasionally I will take a longer trip and need to charge on the go.

I've done it twice so far and both times it has been very frustrating because Ionity has a great network in Sweden but due to their pricing I am not able to use them. I can't justify 'joining' their little club to access their chargers, and the onboard "Find a charging station" in the car is basically useless because it will invariably try to direct me to an ionity charger.

My question is, given that Ionity were given huge grants to build out their network in Europe for EV owners, how can it be legal for them to then essentially limit access to that network for those of us who won't use it often enough to justify the monthly cost?

Other networks do exist, but the chargers at each site are limited (1 or 2 in the places I've visited) and I have therefore needed to wait. Also my choices for charging locations are now limited as I have to exclude all ionity charging stations.

Is anyone aware of any political involvement in this to force Ionity to rethink their pricing? Given they took public money to build their network, and now it's a private member only club, my feeling is that they should give that money back, or put a stop to this private membership nonsense.

Thoughts?

P.

·
Registered
PHEV 2018
60 Posts
The current system of having to have an app on your phone which attempts to tie you to a single suppler is not attractive to me.

Why not a simple plug in and pay by contactless card.

No phone or app to bother about and easier for us to shop around for the best price.

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq EV Premium Plus
381 Posts
I own a 2020 Ioniq Electric and for 90% of the time, I use the car well within the available range and charge at home.

However, occasionally I will take a longer trip and need to charge on the go.

I've done it twice so far and both times it has been very frustrating because Ionity has a great network in Sweden but due to their pricing I am not able to use them. I can't justify 'joining' their little club to access their chargers, and the onboard "Find a charging station" in the car is basically useless because it will invariably try to direct me to an ionity charger.

My question is, given that Ionity were given huge grants to build out their network in Europe for EV owners, how can it be legal for them to then essentially limit access to that network for those of us who won't use it often enough to justify the monthly cost?

Other networks do exist, but the chargers at each site are limited (1 or 2 in the places I've visited) and I have therefore needed to wait. Also my choices for charging locations are now limited as I have to exclude all ionity charging stations.

Is anyone aware of any political involvement in this to force Ionity to rethink their pricing? Given they took public money to build their network, and now it's a private member only club, my feeling is that they should give that money back, or put a stop to this private membership nonsense.

Thoughts?

P.
I agree. The strange thing is that Hyundai is supposedly a partner of the Ionity charging network since the autumn of 2019. Still, they haven't released any information for owners of their EVs. I expected Hyundai to offer some discounts, or a subscription like the other partners of the Ionity network do.

I even sent an e-mail to Hyundai Sweden Customer Services, asking about their progress. Their answer was that they knew nothing about Ionity. They just suggested me to sign up for their newsletter. Really disappointing.

Personally, I have RFID cards or tags from four different charging networks, plus - for real emergencies - an Ionity account that I can access via the app in my phone. No other charging network is as expensive as Ionity, so I avoid them if at all possible.

I noticed that you're from Gothenburg. If you haven't done so already, you should try Circle K Vädermotet which - if I'm correctly informed - has four bays, and currently offers fast charging for free. Just plug in and enjoy!

Also - if you haven't done so already - please add a pin in the member map!

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq EV Premium Plus in Intense Blue
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tip.
If I still lived in the UK I think I would consider writing to my MP to raise this in parliament. Is there a similar process in Sweden where you can ask a local elected representative to investigate issues such as this?

I actually live in Marks Kommun, a little way out of Gothenburg although i work there (under normal circumstances).

Only charging around here is Borås, Varberg, Jönköping...lots of little 22Kw and 5Kw chargers...but not many fast chargers.

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq EV Premium Plus
381 Posts
Thanks for the tip.
If I still lived in the UK I think I would consider writing to my MP to raise this in parliament. Is there a similar process in Sweden where you can ask a local elected representative to investigate issues such as this?

I actually live in Marks Kommun, a little way out of Gothenburg although i work there (under normal circumstances).

Only charging around here is Borås, Varberg, Jönköping...lots of little 22Kw and 5Kw chargers...but not many fast chargers.
Have you seen the map at plugshare.com? In addition to the cities you mention, I see fast chargers in Kungsbacka, Ulricehamn, Gislaved, Gnosjö, Alingsås, Vårgårda, and of course lots and lots in Gothenburg.

I don't know anything about writing to politicians. I guess we don't have that tradition in Sweden. We usually write to the letters columns in newspapers, and if the issue is interesting enough, a reporter may take it from there. One very potent way to get the attention to a problem is if you can interest the investigative reporters at the TV program "Plus":

You can also try contacting your local consumer advisor or the Swedish Consumer Agency:

·
Registered
2019 Ioniq PHEV
60 Posts
I think our sparse fast charging infrastructure hampers electrification and causes oversized batteries. Only half of the population (or so) is able to charge at home. Frequent charging possibilities should be good for everybody. I guess even the traditional gas stations would benefit from customers buying food and snacks while charging. Don't think they earn a lot on the fuel alone anyway. Our gov. should do something about it, maybe even more important than the 60000 SEK subsid, of which a good deal I suspect pushes up the initial retail prices instead.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts