Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I actually meant to post about this when I first got the car but forgot.. although I'm reminded now because.. it's still there.. despite my efforts, it still stinks. Yes, stinks.

I don't know how this compares to other new car smells, the Ioniq is my first brandnew car, but I have found the odour unpleasant from the start and unfortunately haven't been able to get rid of it.

Am I alone in this? Is it different to other new cars? Is it a side effect to the materials used in the interior?

Inquisitive minds must know!

Also tips on getting rid would be good. I feel like clothes smell of it now. :|

·
Registered
251 Posts
It'll diminish over time as the glue, plastic, rubber and other interior materials outgas the volatile compounds used in their manufacture. It might be a couple of months before the smell completely goes away--although my three-year-old Ford Focus ST still smells new on the inside, and I kinda like it.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Think I worded my question wrong.. I know the smell is due to the interior materials but what I have been told by friends is that it smells different to their new car for example.. and I'm wondering if the unique smell of the Ioniq is because of its unique materials.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Ah--okay, sorry I misinterpreted your question. I'm supposed to test-drive an Ioniq tomorrow, so I'll let you know if it smells different than all the other new cars that I've bought over the years. Maybe it's that sugarcane and volcanic lava...

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whatever it is.. it's unpleasant. :/

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
Whatever it is.. it's unpleasant. :/
The Ioniq hasn't got the typical new car smell ,but I can't say it's unpleasant . Are you sure a cat hasn't stowed away under the boot on the long boat ride from Korea ? ;)
P.S. mine was ex demo with 320 miles on it

·
Registered
51 Posts
I actually meant to post about this when I first got the car but forgot.. although I'm reminded now because.. it's still there.. despite my efforts, it still stinks. Yes, stinks.

I don't know how this compares to other new car smells, the Ioniq is my first brandnew car, but I have found the odour unpleasant from the start and unfortunately haven't been able to get rid of it.

Am I alone in this? Is it different to other new cars? Is it a side effect to the materials used in the interior?

Inquisitive minds must know!

Also tips on getting rid would be good. I feel like clothes smell of it now. :|
I'm driving a 2017 Ioniq Electric, and the smell is slightly different than what I'm used to for a new car: it's a little more "rubbery" (which I like). Everyone who's sat in the car has remarked how much they liked the smell, as it wasn't over-powering, and it smelled a bit like Canadian Tire (for non-Canadians, it's more than a hardware store, it's an institution, and it smells amazing when you first walk in, like new tires). Hopefully you're not over-sensitive to one of the materials they've used... you should leave it outdoors on a sunny day with the windows (and maybe even the doors) open for a few hours to air it out. It's also possible that what you're smelling may be coming from the A/C vents...

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
snip..
you should leave it outdoors on a sunny day with the windows (and maybe even the doors) open for a few hours to air it out.

only problem is we are in the UK,

sunny day? whats that :) we get a couple a year, but not many

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@mariospants I used to live in Canada, I know Canadian Tyre.. this doesn't smell like it.
@chunga68 mine was box fresh... I was the first driver. Definitely not an organic smell. It's not rot or mould or anything like that. It's just got a sharp chemical smell. I wouldn't even say rubber.. it's weird.
@bluecar1 haha no sh*t.. I think I saw some of this 'sun' last weekend... I haven't seen it since..

Also, I have aired it out, drive with windows down sometimes, I've smoked in it (although I vape now), I used essential oils defuser, fabric spritz, still there...

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ewwwwwwww! I'm pretty sure only blokes do that, and FYI guys.. that's fukin strange. Don't. Lol!

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Are you saying I smell BC? Because I'm French? Ur not funny... :p

I'd say it's what's coming thru the vents but it's not coz it smells more strongly after it's been sat closed up over the weekend for example if I haven't driven him.

·
Registered
725 Posts
It may also explain Tess' other thread about how she keeps slamming the brakes on at 75.....she is trying to get more airflow through her car :D

·
Registered
725 Posts
i used to get a strange fishy type smell only very occasionally when the car was shut up and it was gone a few seconds after i started the car and fans blew fresh air inton the car, but don't seem to get it now

never did work it out ??
The pressure you applied to the dealer to get your car so it was rushed off the boat super quick??

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
The pressure you applied to the dealer to get your car so it was rushed off the boat super quick??
you mean it was brought over from korea on a fishing boat instead of a normal car carrier? and there was me thinking it was one of my jealous nieghbours hiding a bit of fish in the engine bay :)

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i used to get a strange fishy type smell only very occasionally when the car was shut up and it was gone a few seconds after i started the car and fans blew fresh air inton the car, but don't seem to get it now

never did work it out ??
Ew? :|
No that's definitely not the smell!

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It may also explain Tess' other thread about how she keeps slamming the brakes on at 75.....she is trying to get more airflow through her car :D
Hilarious! You guys should be comedians.. ;)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts