Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening everyone,

I want to share what is happening with my ioniq, now at 3000km.

a few weeks ago, after parking for 5 days, I turned on the car. As soon as I hit the "D" button, I heard a loud click on the front brakes: Explanable with a "sticking" of the pads on the disc due to the temperature and humidity diff between day 1 and day 6 (my explanation). Following this, noise of licking which disappeared after a few km: Explicable with rust which was removed with the bearing (my explanation).

As a consequence of this "click" phenomenon, I noticed a significant drop in braking power during regeneration.

Let me explain: by taking your foot off the accelerator, even at high speed and with regeneration at level 3:

1- the braking starts with a slight delay vs before "the click"; before, braking started immediately

2- the braking is greatly reduced (felt 50% vs before "the click")

3- the blue regeneration display curve (curve on the left, white color when energy flow is battery -> motor and blue when energy flow is motor -> battery) does not go beyond 50% of the blue curve ( when I hit the brake, on the other hand, reaches 100%)

4-the white curve of the km recovered (curve at the top right showing the distance recovered) shows a very slow recovery vs before "the click"

I made the step to make an appointment with Hyundai in concession, which not only did not detect a breakdown (I can accept) but told me "everything is normal, the car is perfect, the regeneration goes down to 50% as in all the other electric cars (that, I cannot accept) (I left emptied because I wanted to react badly and I controlled myself ......).

However, gentlemen owners of ioniq38, could you please confirm if I am dreaming (and therefore points 1, 2, 3 and 4 above are void as related only to my feelings, and the blue curve never goes down beyond 50% even in your cars and therefore the gentleman at the Hyundai dealership workshop was right) or if I do well to trust my feelings? in the latter case, advice?

THANK YOU

Sergio

·
Registered
56 Posts
"After parking for 5 days".... and on subsequent occasions when you felt regen braking was reduced in effect - was your traction battery fully charged? If yes - that is one possible explanation. As far as I can work out (from experience only) in any given set of circumstances - temperature and battery SOC - the amount of charge the battery is "safe" to take may be limited. In the same way that the car will reduce its charge speed as it approaches full on a rapid charger, I suspect that, likewise when it's almost full, and depending on how cold, the car may restrict the amount of regenerative power it can feed back into the battery. Which, of course, affects the retarding effect.

·
Registered
2017 Hyundai IONIQ Electric Premium
739 Posts
good point if the traction battery is full on a HEV/PHEV it drops to engine braking

on a EV not sure
EV drops to more, or in the end only mechanical braking. But I never experienced it in the 28kWh EV.

Annother cause could be the temperature of the converter causing the same effect to prevent overheating. Also the temperature of the battery pack (to high or to low) would limit regenerative power levels. This would also give a signal on the dash when active I guess. Same as the driving power being limited at low battery temperature.

The active power levels (driving and regenerative) and limits can be readout with BT OBD dongle. (Search the forum)

I guess if pressing the brake pedal makes it going to 100% no limits are active.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yes if battery is fully charged or above about 90% then the regenerative braking is reduced, a warning flashes up on the dash if you are for example going down a hill. If you watch the detailed power consumption screen you'll see it only offers about 2kw at full charge and regeneration braking will be very diminished until battery is below about 85%

·
Registered
9 Posts
Good evening everyone,

I want to share what is happening with my ioniq, now at 3000km.

a few weeks ago, after parking for 5 days, I turned on the car. As soon as I hit the "D" button, I heard a loud click on the front brakes: Explanable with a "sticking" of the pads on the disc due to the temperature and humidity diff between day 1 and day 6 (my explanation). Following this, noise of licking which disappeared after a few km: Explicable with rust which was removed with the bearing (my explanation).

As a consequence of this "click" phenomenon, I noticed a significant drop in braking power during regeneration.

Let me explain: by taking your foot off the accelerator, even at high speed and with regeneration at level 3:

1- the braking starts with a slight delay vs before "the click"; before, braking started immediately

2- the braking is greatly reduced (felt 50% vs before "the click")

3- the blue regeneration display curve (curve on the left, white color when energy flow is battery -> motor and blue when energy flow is motor -> battery) does not go beyond 50% of the blue curve ( when I hit the brake, on the other hand, reaches 100%)

4-the white curve of the km recovered (curve at the top right showing the distance recovered) shows a very slow recovery vs before "the click"

I made the step to make an appointment with Hyundai in concession, which not only did not detect a breakdown (I can accept) but told me "everything is normal, the car is perfect, the regeneration goes down to 50% as in all the other electric cars (that, I cannot accept) (I left emptied because I wanted to react badly and I controlled myself ......).

However, gentlemen owners of ioniq38, could you please confirm if I am dreaming (and therefore points 1, 2, 3 and 4 above are void as related only to my feelings, and the blue curve never goes down beyond 50% even in your cars and therefore the gentleman at the Hyundai dealership workshop was right) or if I do well to trust my feelings? in the latter case, advice?

THANK YOU

Sergio
i haven’t seen it go lower than 50% into the blue
however I must say I haven’t experienced any of the other things you mention

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yes if battery is fully charged or above about 90% then the regenerative braking is reduced, a warning flashes up on the dash if you are for example going down a hill. If you watch the detailed power consumption screen you'll see it only offers about 2kw at full charge and regeneration braking will be very diminished until battery is below about 85%
Another good reason to charge only to 80%, good for the battery, good for economy.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Another good reason to charge only to 80%, good for the battery, good for economy.
Agreed, it's a lease so not concerned about the battery as such, but I only charge to 100% if I actually need the range for a long journey. I try not to drop below 50%, as I charge on the 10amp charger, but at 50% I know it's only a 9 hour overnight charge if for some reason I need to use the car for a long journey the following morning.

·
Registered
2019 Hyundai Ioniq Electric
18 Posts
I’ve seen my regen break bars go to I believe 4 blue bars, 1 short of the max, on a few occasions usually when getting off the freeway and need to brake sooner than expected. I have never seen it full regen, though it will definitely go above 50%. Disclosure though, I use eco mode with level 3 regen brake so my braking regens a little harder.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts