Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Ioniq 2018 Hybrid
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up an 18 plate Ioniq a few weeks ago and so far am loving the car.
Went for a drive today and noticed that some roads that were changed a couple of years ago were not shown on the satnav.
I did a bit of digging and from information gleaned on this forum, I have found out the the car firmware and satnav maps are from 2017. This suggests that these have never been updated during the life of the car. I assumed that this would be part of the periodic service (the car came with full service history).

The next service is not due for another 10 months, so I am not sure if I should just do the update myself using the files that are available through this forum.
Do these files upgrade the firmware and the maps together?
What are the risks to doing this yourself? I don't want to end up causing expensive damage to the car. Is there a factory reset for if it all goes horribly wrong?

Thank you.

·
Registered
Hyundai 2017 Hybrid in Marina Blue
29 Posts
I`d get your Hyundai dealer to do it. Its free, certainly for the first 5 years and saves you a lot of hassle and faff. You can request the downloads at any time. Most people assume that when it goes in for a service it gets updated automatically, but it doesnt. It has to be specifically requested. One of the oddies about Hyundai and its dealers. Just book it in and they`ll sort it for you. No hassles.

·
Registered
Ioniq 2018 Hybrid
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies.
As I live about 45 minutes from my nearest Hyundai dealer, I have decided that I will download and install the latest firmware myself.
I have plenty of experience in computers and have hacked many a game console in the past, so I can't envisage this being too much bother.
I'll report back on my experience once I have got around to downloading and installing.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Last week I'd organised an update for maps and software at my hyundai dealers as they were carrying out the 30.000 service on my 2017 HEV.
Paperwork said they'd done it.
Unfortunately after checking my apparently latest system info it showed no updates were done.
I rang them today for an explanation but they told me that my software is upto date.
Below is the software I currently have.
Presumably someone can confirm my software is not upto date.
20210427_121914.jpg

·
Registered
UK spec 2020 1st Edition in Polar White
503 Posts
Your software is all from 2016, so at least 4 years behind!

Reactions: KevinT

·
Registered
516 Posts
Last week I'd organised an update for maps and software at my hyundai dealers as they were carrying out the 30.000 service on my 2017 HEV.
Paperwork said they'd done it.
Unfortunately after checking my apparently latest system info it showed no updates were done.
I rang them today for an explanation but they told me that my software is upto date.
Below is the software I currently have.
Presumably someone can confirm my software is not upto date. View attachment 34007
Normally I would laugh at this, because of the dealers incompetencies. But recently I have found out something about these dealers who says the software is up to date.
Ok hear me out.

Some dealers when you tell them to check for a software update, they take out their gds (global diagnostic system) connect with the their tablet and obd dongle. And check if there are any updates for the car in term of battery, system and such. And NOT infotainment and Navi.

So there is a big misunderstanding for what updating software is. Try and ask your dealer of he has checked for update through the gds system or the HERE map updater tool. :)

·
Registered
Hyundai 2017 Hybrid in Marina Blue
29 Posts
Some dealers when you tell them to check for a software update, they take out their gds (global diagnostic system) connect with the their tablet and obd dongle. And check if there are any updates for the car in term of battery, system and such. And NOT infotainment and Navi.

So there is a big misunderstanding for what updating software is. Try and ask your dealer of he has checked for update through the gds system or the HERE map updater tool. :)
Thats my understanding as well..checking and downloading the system updates is a totally different system from updating the Sat Nav. The former is always part of the service but the Sat Nav update is a seperate issue that has to be put on the job sheet as an extra.Its free but still has to be requested and is done by means of updating the onboard SD card.

When I had my i40 I considered taking it to a Kia dealer (much cheaper) for service who explained that although they could update the Sat Nav they couldn`t do any downloads that the car itself might need.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Just managed to update myself and after leaving negative feedback for my service carried out last week I just received a call from them explaining that they receive on there system updates daily and they can only presume on the day of service the update hadn't yet been put out by hyundai.
Obviously they offered to book me back in.
They did wonder how on earth I managed it myself. Thought I'd best be a little coy on that one.😉😉
Once again thanks to all involved

·
Registered
516 Posts
Just managed to update myself and after leaving negative feedback for my service carried out last week I just received a call from them explaining that they receive on there system updates daily and they can only presume on the day of service the update hadn't yet been put out by hyundai.
Obviously they offered to book me back in.
They did wonder how on earth I managed it myself. Thought I'd best be a little coy on that one.😉😉
Once again thanks to all involved
eheh well done! still they should have the october 2020 update in their system. just people who only know about oil and fluids ..

·
Registered
2019 PHEV Ultimate
1,073 Posts
I just received a call from them explaining that they receive on there system updates daily and they can only presume on the day of service the update hadn't yet been put out by hyundai.
Lol, they're just making excuses. Even if their system didn't have the latest and greatest update, they should at least have had something newer than the 2016 firmware that they left on your car. There's an update every 6 months...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry to be a scab…

Where can I find the update files ? (UK)

mom a fair chick from a dealer, so doing it myself would save me a lot of hassle!

Appreciated

1 - 18 of 18 Posts