Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Curious on how fair you thought this discussion was. Couple of things I noticed:

1) He claims they are tied in availability, even though the Ioniq EV is already heavily in production, available overseas & expected next month in the US. The Model 3 hasn't even started production yet, and if you reserve now, you won't be getting one until late 2018 or 2019.

2) He claims the price is $32.5k for the Ioniq, when it really starts at ~$30k.

3) Comparing 0-60 times & top speeds are better performance indicators than horsepower, which doesn't take into consideration weight. The Tesla will be much heavier, so those horsepower numbers exaggerate the difference in performance.

4) Why not talk about the Ioniq's strengths, like efficiency?

Tech of tomorrow vs. tech of today... can you really say you are getting the "tech of tomorrow" if your Model 3 isn't coming until late 2018 or worse?

·
Super Moderator
1,795 Posts
Indeed a very biased 'comparison', you are even mild in your comments given what they offer. It just looks more like an advertisement for the Model 3 instead of a serious comparison.

Talking about efficiency is a taboo for Tesla as their efficiency is very poor, 30% worse than for the Ioniq and also worse than for almost every other BEV car. They also deny that there are already thousands of Ioniq EV's happily driving on the roads in many countries worldwide, and the Model 3 still is not being produced. Suggesting that the Ioniq EV could be discontinued is ridiculous.

By the time in 2019 that the masses can get a Model 3 the Ioniq also will have a 200 mile version of the Ioniq EV on the market, so their 'arguments' about range also do not make sense. Also the claim that the Ioniq EV is only for city driving does not make sense, even for the current version.

The fact that they feel they need so many lies to have the Model 3 look better, reveals that they actually believe that the real difference is not that much and are quite afraid for the competition with the Ioniq.

·
Registered
189 Posts
That guy looks like the biggest douche I've ever seen. I didn't even hear his voice or watch the video. Just a few random single frames and I want to punch him in the face.

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
That guy looks like the biggest douche I've ever seen. I didn't even hear his voice or watch the video. Just a few random single frames and I want to punch him in the face.
No talk of violence in the forum please :D

·
Registered
278 Posts
Comparing an apple with a pear and stating the pear does not make a very good apple. Duh.

Like others have said. It's more of an advert. Wondering how much they got paid by tesla for that.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
How you can even begin to compare the 2, I don't know. They are completely different classes!
He would take the Prius over th Ioniq just because Toyota has been doing it longer? That's stupid.
And the bmw i3, Nissan Leaf etc are all hideous.

The Tesla ranges are for people with money.. until the prices come down, which I hope they do because I want one badly. So of course with its price tag you would expect more hp and more technology. That doesn't mean that the ioniq is crap, it's just affordable and in my opinion delivers everything I need.. for now.

·
Registered
278 Posts
How you can even begin to compare the 2, I don't know. They are completely different classes!
He would take the Prius over th Ioniq just because Toyota has been doing it longer? That's stupid.

The Tesla ranges are for people with money.. until the prices come down, which I hope they do because I want one badly. So of course with its price tag you would expect more hp and more technology. That doesn't mean that the ioniq is crap, it's just affordable and in my opinion delivers everything I need.. for now.

Well said.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts

thing is there are not many EV's in the market, we could be honoured they think the Ioniq is the closest thing to competition to the Tesla 3 ?

and if Hyundai can get the 200 mile EV out next year then I think the tesla 3 could have some serious competition

·
Registered
64 Posts
I think a major flaw in comparing Tesla 3 to the Ioniq is that the alleged $35,000 price for the Model 3 is for the most barebones version, of which there will be very few actually available (especially initially). You can see how with the Model S, the majority of vehicles sold are the higher end models costing tens of thousands of dollars more, not to mention the $20-30k in options that most owners end up getting. So it's not a valid comparison on the basis of price point alone.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Certainly a lot of false statements. To name a couple:
Not available. Currently on sale in Europe.
Prius is a better value. Not!

The one decent point he made is that Tesla products are upgradeable and there is the option for future new safety features, not necessarily even requiring new hardware. But Tesla is completely unique in this regard, so it is the only option right now. Of course, the Model 3 is complete vaporware, but might be a car (when available) to future proof your investment like no other car (other than the Model S).

·
Registered
62 Posts
Certainly a lot of false statements. To name a couple:
Not available. Currently on sale in Europe.
Prius is a better value. Not!

The one decent point he made is that Tesla products are upgradeable and there is the option for future new safety features, not necessarily even requiring new hardware. But Tesla is completely unique in this regard, so it is the only option right now. Of course, the Model 3 is complete vaporware, but might be a car (when available) to future proof your investment like no other car (other than the Model S).
Model 3 isn't vapourware. Unlike the Faraday Future, they actually have working prototypes. The Beta Prototypes are currently in production and are being tested. Tesla says they're on schedule for the launch this summer. There's been nothing to gainsay that. How quickly they'll be able to ramp up production when they do start full production is another question.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Vaporware are any products you cannot buy or touch. The Model 3 has been in that category for almost a year, and based on past Elon predictions, 2018 may be the earliest that one lands in a consumer's hands. If you are interested in a Model 3 and didn't pay for a reservation a year ago, you are probably looking at 2019 or 2020 to get one.

·
Registered
62 Posts
No, vapourware is a product that has been announced, but is never actually manufactured or canceled. The Model 3 doesn't fall into that category.

The Farady Future does.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Announced and never manufactured is the current status of the Model 3. Model S was announced in 2008 and after four years and a number of delays, the first ones were delivered. They are still working on getting the S up to full production after 8 plus years. No rush of course as they lose money on every one. Model X announced in 2012, first one delivered in late 2015. They are getting better, barely. Presumably things will continue to scale. No one knows if the Model 3 will compete well with the now available Bolt as it doesn't exist yet.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Tesla makes a reported $20K profit per Model S. They're not losing money per car.

What is happening is they're spending more than they're taking in on building their company. They're building 2 GigaFactories, building out the Supercharger network, building stores and service centres around the world, and ramping up for the Model 3 production. That all takes money. Once they start selling the Model 3s in quantity, then they can start paying down the debt, and make a net profit.

This is the same as all businesses go through. You have to spend money building your company up, before you start making money.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Indeed. But that is losing money, or burn through in startup talk. They are spending investors money to grow at a current net loss in hopes of future real profits.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts