Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe an admin can move this to the News section of the forum?

From this web site article (emphasis added by me):

Besides luxury, another segment where Hyundai seeks to make a bigger splash is alternative powertrain.

It retails hybrid and plug-in hybrid versions of the Sonata, but next week it will launch U.S. sales of its new Ioniq hybrid and all-electric cars. O’Brien is bullish on their potential.

“Our focus was on developing a great compact car that happens to be electrified,” he says. “There were around 1.1 million buyers who shopped for an EV last year, but because of cost or maintenance or durability...or that they felt the car was too underpowered…they didn’t buy one.

“We are offering a no-excuse electrified vehicle that measures up to compact vehicles in the segment,” he says, noting a full marketing launch for the cars begins in March.

Sales targets are not being announced for the Ioniq lineup, which includes a plug-in hybrid due on sale in September. HMA’s former CEO Dave Zuchowski told WardsAuto last year the cars may need to be incentivized sooner than later due to low fuel prices in the U.S. that have hampered green-car sales.
“With gas at $2 a gallon there isn’t much natural demand for an alternative-fuel vehicle that’s going to generate terrific mileage,” he said in March.

However, O’Brien says Hyundai “will wait to see how the market receives the cars.”

The Ioniq hybrid is expected to sell the best of all three variants, thanks to having the highest fuel economy of any vehicle sold in North America without a plug – 58 mpg (4.0 L/100 km). “Which is 2 mpg (0.9 km/L) higher than (Toyota’s) Prius. And the Prius, as you know, is in its fourth generation,” he says.

However, O’Brien says Hyundai’s target market is neither the Prius nor other hybrid and electrified vehicle owners. “That’s not enough to make a business case.”

By 2020, Hyundai will have five hybrids, four plug-in hybrids, four EVs and one fuel-cell vehicle on the market. It already leases its Tucson FCV on a limited basis in California.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have to believe that Hyundai is going to announce more information during their "Super Bowl Documentary" which is a 90 second commercial they are filming live during the actual Super Bowl. That to me seems like the perfect moment in the US to start talking up the Ioniq and Hyundai in general. Those ads don't come cheap! So, here's hoping for some real information to start coming out on February 5th-7th (companies love announcing stuff the following week on Tuesdays a lot it seems).

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have to believe that Hyundai is going to announce more information during their "Super Bowl Documentary" which is a 90 second commercial they are filming live during the actual Super Bowl. That to me seems like the perfect moment in the US to start talking up the Ioniq and Hyundai in general. Those ads don't come cheap! So, here's hoping for some real information to start coming out on February 5th-7th (companies love announcing stuff the following week on Tuesdays a lot it seems).
Confirmed! Hyundai will be talking about the Ioniq during the Super Bowl ad tomorrow according to this article.

Hyundai wanted to do something different this time around, and bringing the Super Bowl to U.S. troops fits the bill. The new Hyundai Ioniq hybrid will be part of the marketing campaign, but according to Evans, Hyundai’s vehicles are secondary for this ad.

“I’m a big believer that we want the message to be pure on that day,” he said.

I think it's nice they're giving the U.S. troops overseas a special way of experiencing the Super Bowl. Hooah!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well goes to show you that you can't believe everything you read on the internet. Color me disappointed. No visuals of the car and no info (yet). This article shows the Super Bowl ad and says we'll get to see some behind the scenes footage showing the Ioniq soon though.

But other campaign content will feature some metal. The military families were brought to the stadium in the new Ioniq, so consumers will get to see the hatchback in behind-the-scenes footage online.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts