Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm amused by how the Ioniq hybrid electric vehicle gets a sportier, more aggressive-looking steering wheel than Hyundai's own sports coupe, the Genesis Coupe. :D

·
Registered
176 Posts
Dr. T, this is not to contradict your opinion.

I'm having trouble defining "sporty." I'm not sure what make the Ioniq wheel more aggressive looking, or sporty. Likewise, the new Prius is said to be more "sporty."

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dr. T, this is not to contradict your opinion.

I'm having trouble defining "sporty." I'm not sure what make the Ioniq wheel more aggressive looking, or sporty. Likewise, the new Prius is said to be more "sporty."
Please feel free to challenge my opinions -- sometimes I'm off. :D

- The flat-bottom steering wheel is a race-inspired touch, usually seen in sporty vehicles like the Audi R8

- Pronounced cutout around the thumb area, which presumes a sporty approach to driving, usually seen on sports models

I suppose when I deconstruct the criteria for a sports steering wheel, the Ioniq's wheel is not that much more sporty than other vehicles. But the initial impression, from the two elements listed above, was a sporty impression. Either way, I like the wheel and can see myself driving it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The flat bottom wheel is quite sporty. It is an interesting observation. More against the Genesis Coupe than anything. That wheel is ugly.

·
Registered
323 Posts
To me sporty when it comes to driving will come down to how its get up and go is off the line and taking over other vehicles. Then how it steers, body roll, etc.

I think the Bolt turned out being 'sporty'. Lots of reviews out there covering it for anyone interested.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The electric engine should provide plenty of torque which should give you that "get up and go". People nowadays do like the sporty look without anything that comes with it sometimes. It's strange but true.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Still can't get over that FLAT BOTTOM STEERING WHEEL, makes me feel like i'll be buying an Audi RS4 or BMW M4, or something like that Lol.

Hyundai has come a long way and its little things like this that go a long way.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Maybe a new trend with Hyundai? That steering wheel does give it that sporty look and I'm pretty sure it doesn't cost Hyundai much to do something like that to all of their future models.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Maybe a new trend with Hyundai? That steering wheel does give it that sporty look and I'm pretty sure it doesn't cost Hyundai much to do something like that to all of their future models.
I hope so and its a shame they didn't do anything even close to it in the Veloster Rally Edition of all Hyundai's out there:

·
Registered
169 Posts
I guess it could be dependent on the car too? Not quite sure how their deisng department operates when it comes to small things like the shape of a steering wheel or other sporty elements.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I just don't see the Ioniq attempting to be sporty. it is not attempting to be a performance EV, it is a family vehicle, a commuter car that is purposed for everyday use.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I agree with you Strobe. I've had this discussion over on PriusChat, and didn't convince anyone. But to me, "sporty" is more than the shape of the steering wheel, loud exhaust, or "racing stripe" over the hood, roof and trunk.

I find nothing wrong with advertising the Ioniq as a quality family vehicle that is comfortable, quiet, fuel efficient, with adequate performance in a well-engineered, safe chassis. Not to mention a great warranty. It need not be "sporty" in addition to all of the above.

But .... ""sporty" to one means something different than to another. My 1941 Ford had rear wheel "skirts." Boy was it "sporty."

·
Registered
87 Posts
Sporty styling, and sporty performance are two different things. Some people just want the look, and some people just want the performance, and some people want both.

I think that the Ioniq really isn't sporty in either way. Maybe the steering wheel gives that look, but that is about all I see.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I guess the worst case scenario we can do something custom ourselves. Hyundai has their N-Peformance brand coming up, so we can even pull some colors from that and onto our Ioniq's, for me it would just have to be subtle.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I guess the worst case scenario we can do something custom ourselves. Hyundai has their N-Peformance brand coming up, so we can even pull some colors from that and onto our Ioniq's, for me it would just have to be subtle.
I assume you mean sporty as in looks then. What kind of color choices are you hoping for?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Love the blue lines to the seats, makes the color pop out at you.

The ioniq does give off as a bit of a sportier look. I definitely would choose this over the genesis coupe.

What I love about the ioniq too is that the exterior body is a unique a bit sporty to me :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts