Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand that the title of this thread seems odd, but I don't know how else to describe what both my wife's car (2018 Ioniq EV) and my car (2020 Ioniq EV) do.

If when the brakes are applied to slow the vehicle down, and the car goes over a harsh or bumpy patch of pavement, it feels like it sort of skips. For the very brief second, it feels like the brakes have stopped grabbing, then grab and slow down again like normal.

This happens with both vehicles quite regularly.

I'm sorry that I don't know how else to describe this.

Kev

·
Registered
515 Posts
If the traction system senses any type of hiccup, slip, pot hole, sand etc, it switches from Regen brakes to Standard brakes. That’s what you are feeling. They do feel different but both stop the car. In the wintertime, temperature makes these switch much quicker as it assumes there is ice.

..Norm

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the traction system senses any type of hiccup, slip, pot hole, sand etc, it switches from Regen brakes to Standard brakes. That’s what you are feeling. They do feel different but both stop the car. In the wintertime, temperature makes these switch much quicker as it assumes there is ice.

..Norm
Thanks for quick reply.

Can be a little unnerving lol

Kev

·
Registered
2018 Ioniq Electric
58 Posts
Yes, I find mine does break traction while braking more easily than an ICE car, but I have put that down to the fact that all regen braking is done through the two driven front wheels only, rather than a split percentage for regular cars using only friction braking. It can be a little disconcerting as it typically happens on a steeper downhill gradient and the transition from regen to friction when using level 0 is quite marked and you feel like suddenly you lost a bit of braking assistance.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Yes, I find mine does break traction while braking more easily than an ICE car, but I have put that down to the fact that all regen braking is done through the two driven front wheels only, rather than a split percentage for regular cars using only friction braking. It can be a little disconcerting as it typically happens on a steeper downhill gradient and the transition from regen to friction when using level 0 is quite marked and you feel like suddenly you lost a bit of braking assistance.
I agree and it could be a lot smoother, but I believe Hyundai wants to use Regen as much as possible so the transition is pretty harsh . I have a Mach E also and there is no difference in the feel or pedal for braking, but I notice a lot of brake dust on the wheels, which means they may be using both to make it as smooth as possible, sacrificing some efficiency. I have never seen brake dust on my Hyundai wheels.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree and it could be a lot smoother, but I believe Hyundai wants to use Regen as much as possible so the transition is pretty harsh . I have a Mach E also and there is no difference in the feel or pedal for braking, but I notice a lot of brake dust on the wheels, which means they may be using both to make it as smooth as possible, sacrificing some efficiency. I have never seen brake dust on my Hyundai wheels.

How are you enjoying your Mach E?

Kev

·
Registered
515 Posts
How are you enjoying your Mach E?

Kev
So far I am delighted. The efficiency is no way near my Ioniq but going 230+ miles on a charge and having AWD is great. I thank goodness that I have free charging at work. At 70 MPH with adaptive cruise I get 3.1 M/kWh. That's the worse I have seen. That's a 210 mile range on the highway with the AC on. Around town I average 3.9-4.1, yesterday in very slow zones (25-35 MPH) going to Vote, I averaged 5.1 for a 10 mile trip. 45-55 MPH 3.7-3.9 average. 68 kW battery. A long time to charge at level 2 though. I am so glad I did not get the extended battery. At work, I plugged in at 7:00 AM with 35% remaining and it finished at 6:15 PM. That's a long time. As much as the 28 kW Ioniq has a small battery and low range, I absolutely love the charge times. No direct controls of regen and no coast (free-wheel mode) mode like Hyundai which is disappointing. You really cannot hyper-mile it. The Ford ap is pretty good on your phone. It tracks your charging for you, unlike hyundai. You can limit your charge at several different chargers (it logs them via GPS). I have 100% at home, top off before a trip, 90% at work (recommended by Ford for Day to day battery preservation), and 80% at DCFC's.

Zero issues so far, incredible comfort and nice features. Lots of power. Plenty of room for passengers. No charging issues to speak of yet and tested an EVGo fast charger this weekend. A family photo is attached. We are now an all electric family and dependent on kWh's not fossil fuels. I am anxious to see the Winter numbers.

I did test drive a Kia Niro EV the same day we bought the Mach E. There was no comparison to it's ride, noise, interior room, power and interior quality (coming directly from my Wife as well) , and the benefit of AWD, and it's cost was within the same range as the Mach E ($37.7K with incentives). Finally, Ford has a great finance plan called "Options" for EVs. So its a finance plan but you can pick 3-4 years/miles and if you want, turn the car in, just like a lease to Ford Credit at the end and walk away or if you want to keep it, simply continue paying the note for 2-3 years at 2.25% like a loan. They also give you a $2500 rebate to use this program. Pretty sweet and it's titled to you so you can sell it at any time with no penalties. Good protection if there is an defect in the car, Bolt like battery fires, or battery tech that charges in 10 minutes and goes 1000 miles per charge is developed anytime soon, and your car value plummets.

Siblings.jpg

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I love the color of the Mach-E. As with most EV enthusiasts, I root for the success of all car manufacturers with their EVs and I'm not tied to a particular make / model either. If I see a car that I like the look of and it has the features that I want, then that's the car I'm going to get.

The wife and I started this "trek" back in 2014 when we leased our first EV (Smart Fortwo) to replace the wife's ICE car. We loved the car, and it was so roomy despite the appearance of these small units. The torque you got from slamming the pedal to the floor was insane, and none of our subsequent cars seem to achieve that.

After that, and because I was jealous of the wife, I replaced my car with a Volt. This was the best of both worlds and it saddens me that these have ceased production.

Next up, after the smart car lease was up and the wife swore she would never visit a gas station again, we purchased her 2018 Ioniq. I liked it so much, and with the amazing semi-autonomous features of the newer model (and longer range), after my Volt lease was up I leased my 2020 Ioniq.

Now in between, I did put down a deposit for a Telsa model 3 but quickly realized that these were still going to be a little out of my reach financially. When the Mach-E was showcased, my jaw dropped again. Mostly because electric cars have moved away from looking unique and sometimes weird, to resembling any everyday vehicle with style.

The Mach-E appears to be selling extremely well, and I also hope that the F-150 Lightning follows with its own success. I believe once they start electrifying trucks and SUV, the adoption of EVs will take off (in addition to the increases in range we see to help ease range anxiety).

Kev

·
Registered
515 Posts
I love the color of the Mach-E. As with most EV enthusiasts, I root for the success of all car manufacturers with their EVs and I'm not tied to a particular make / model either. If I see a car that I like the look of and it has the features that I want, then that's the car I'm going to get.

The wife and I started this "trek" back in 2014 when we leased our first EV (Smart Fortwo) to replace the wife's ICE car. We loved the car, and it was so roomy despite the appearance of these small units. The torque you got from slamming the pedal to the floor was insane, and none of our subsequent cars seem to achieve that.

After that, and because I was jealous of the wife, I replaced my car with a Volt. This was the best of both worlds and it saddens me that these have ceased production.

Next up, after the smart car lease was up and the wife swore she would never visit a gas station again, we purchased her 2018 Ioniq. I liked it so much, and with the amazing semi-autonomous features of the newer model (and longer range), after my Volt lease was up I leased my 2020 Ioniq.

Now in between, I did put down a deposit for a Telsa model 3 but quickly realized that these were still going to be a little out of my reach financially. When the Mach-E was showcased, my jaw dropped again. Mostly because electric cars have moved away from looking unique and sometimes weird, to resembling any everyday vehicle with style.

The Mach-E appears to be selling extremely well, and I also hope that the F-150 Lightning follows with its own success. I believe once they start electrifying trucks and SUV, the adoption of EVs will take off (in addition to the increases in range we see to help ease range anxiety).

Kev
I did consider Tesla. But having the closest service 5+ hours away and Superchargers 1 hour away made it less than desirable for me. Plus no federal tax credit ($7500), other rebates or incentives. My State only gives efficiency rebates for under $50K MSRP. I can take the Ford 45-60 minutes away for service, which was a great option. The 8 Year 100K Premium care warranty for the Ford is only $1665. That's a bargain and will be my first upgrade. Finally I traded in my 2020 4WD truck, that got 13.5 MPG in the winter and got more than I paid for it. I avoided all sales tax on the Mach E purchase. So many things went well for this purchase, even though I was NOT buying a car until this car bubble bursts, and was planning on maybe early in 2022. Attached is my 1500 Mile efficiency report.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts