Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, like for the Nissan Leaf and some other cars, they haven't specified the load limit for the roof rack on the Ioniq. That doesn't mean it is illegal to have one.
A roof rack or ski box will be detrimental to the aerodynamics and fuel efficiency of the car, which I suppose is why Hyundai is reluctant to the idea.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another reason may of course be the maximum payload of the car at 425 kg, incl. gas, passengers and cargo. That doesn't leave much capacity for a roof load as well.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A discussion over at the Norwegian Ioniq owners forum shows that the local dealers are saying the official roof rack certification test is underway at Hyundai. Indeed, some people are ordering the car absolutely contingent on the roof rack capability becoming available before they will take delivery. Skis, bicycles and kayaks are commonplace over here and the lack of a roof rack would be a deal-breaker for many people.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Guys, I've called Rameder Germany in behalf of this issue, because I've also found these universal roofrack "specified" on the page for the Ioniq. I mentioned that Thule (who I contacted before) doesn't offer a roofrack for this car, because the possible roofloads, specified by Hyundai, are way to low for anny application like this. So the service attendant on the hotline said that it only means these universal racks fit the Ioniq, but due to the statement of Thule she didn't recommend it at all!
So using these racks you risk dents in your roof unless a) Hyundai gives their approval for higher roofloads or b) someone "sacrifices" his Ioniq and tests it...

·
Super Moderator
8,099 Posts
just checked the UK technical specs, they state max roof load 0KG

so at this point Hyundai is saying it is not suitable for roof racks in the UK, it will be interesting to see if the Hyundai Norway roof rack (once approved) will be available in other countries

·
Super Moderator
1,558 Posts
I expect that when in an accident your car ends up upside down, the roof is strong enough to carry the whole car and keep you safe. If the roof is so strong that it can carry the weight of the whole car, what can be the reason that you should not carry some weight on the roof, when you take into account the total allowed load of the car?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well, the structure that has to carry the weight of the car in case of rollover lies beneath the sheet metal you look at. That will be strong enough for sure. But this doesn't mean that the outer shell will carry a punctual load like a roof rack (especially an universal one) without becoming some dents. Perhaps it's strong enough for a light ski-rack. But I wouldn't mount for example two bicycles with rack on a roof with 0kg of load given by the manufacturer.
In case of damages of the roof there will be no guarantee given and in case of an accident with the roof rack involved there will be probably problems with the insurance.

·
Super Moderator
1,558 Posts
Yes, probably the issue is that there are no good attachment points for the rack.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Rameder GmbH has confirmed that the info on their website is faulty:

Hello Kim,

thank you for your inquiry.

You are right, the car hasn’t a roof load, therefore we can’t offer a roof rack for your car.

It’s a failure at our webshop and we will correct that.

We apologize for the inconveniences.

kind regards

Anika Poßner

sales department Munschwitz
Rameder Anhängerkupplungen und Autoteile GmbH

Am Eichberg Flauer 1
07338 Leutenberg / OT Munschwitz
Deutschland

Phone: +49 36734 35 341
Fax: +49 36734 35 315

E-Mail: [email protected]
Web: http://www.rameder.eu

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So, even if not yet officially approved by Hyundai, and as such used at your own risk, the roof rack still fits physically as shown in the attached picture, that was posted by a guy over at the Norwegian Ioniq owners forum.

The roof rack in question may no longer show up in searches for Ioniq at Rameder but is a generic model: F.LLI Menabo Tema Item no. 118791 and EAN 8003168714446 with the corresponding locking set item no. ZB7389 and EAN 800316865307300032900000 . The following link still works: https://www.rameder.eu/roof-rack-f-lli-menabo-tema-118791-36715-9.html

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looks to me an emission and fuel consumption issue, just as the absence of the tow hitch. It will be no strength issue, but because this is a low emission vehicle it falls in lower tax rates in a lot of country's so it must guarantee that it is always within its limits. That is not the case when you brake the dynamics with something on the roof or a weight behind the car. Therefore this is the case with a lot of 'green' cars. It saves the manufacturers a lot of hassle with additional testing and a chance of higher emission ratings if they simply don't allow it.

BTW its the motor hood and the trunk that are made of aluminium not the roof.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Roof Rack

So, even if not yet officially approved by Hyundai, and as such used at your own risk, the roof rack still fits physically as shown in the attached picture, that was posted by a guy over at the Norwegian Ioniq owners forum.

The roof rack in question may no longer show up in searches for Ioniq at Rameder but is a generic model: F.LLI Menabo Tema Item no. 118791 and EAN 8003168714446 with the corresponding locking set item no. ZB7389 and EAN 800316865307300032900000 . The following link still works: https://www.rameder.eu/roof-rack-f-lli-menabo-tema-118791-36715-9.html

Norwegian: What year BMW X3 and what engine etc did you choose as fitting kit for that roof rack?

Maybe a Thule 754 for a Toyota Prius will be within tolerances...?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Norwegian I checked the link you provided to Rameder and a message stated that the rack was no longer in its product list.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, I see that the Ioniq-specific link no longer works on the Rameder site.

The item number 18791-36715-9 was the one that fit the Ioniq. If one searches for item number 18791, the same rack comes up as suitable for 7 other different makes of cars, but the feet seem to differ between these. The feet that fit the Ioniq has the Menabo manufacturer number 000033600000 printed on the box.

I can confirm, however, that the roof of the Ioniq seems every bit as solid as every other car I have owned, and that the rack in question fits very snugly and seems very sturdy.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts