Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

81 - 100 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Well, I'm going back to HEV mode to see how the mileage goes in straight Hybrid mode as that is what I'll probably go with when I'm too lazy to plow through the snow to get to the charger this winter. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
66 Posts
RogDogNY. If it is not convenient to drive to a charger, simply charge it while you drive until it is fully charged again. It only takes 52 minutes in charge mode for a full charge and the tiny amount of extra gas used is much cheaper than any commercial charger. Please do not pay any attention to anyone telling you differently as they are simply wrong or do not understand how to use the on-board starter/generator correctly. Some guy in England argued this at great length with me and then I realized that he had absolutely no understanding of U S gas prices. Some guy from Ohio made a fool of himself arguing the same thing yet he does not own nor has he ever driven an Ioniq PHEV. He ranted on and on about something he apparently learned about in his grade 3 physics class that has nothing to do with automobiles. Do not be misled. You own one of the most technologically advanced vehicles on the road and the fun and inexpensive driving you can do is second to none. You own a vehicles that at best in normal commuting may never have the ICE start and at worst, on a long trip cross country you can drive 33 to 35% of your miles in all electric and only 65 or 66 % on gas. At present, only one other vehicle on the planet can do this and all for about 55 or 60 % of the cost of a model T from Freemont, California and you have more than double the range.
Enjoy!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
RogDogNY. If it is not convenient to drive to a charger, simply charge it while you drive until it is fully charged again. It only takes 52 minutes in charge mode for a full charge and the tiny amount of extra gas used is much cheaper than any commercial charger. Please do not pay any attention to anyone telling you differently as they are simply wrong or do not understand how to use the on-board starter/generator correctly. Some guy in England argued this at great length with me and then I realized that he had absolutely no understanding of U S gas prices. Some guy from Ohio made a fool of himself arguing the same thing yet he does not own nor has he ever driven an Ioniq PHEV. He ranted on and on about something he apparently learned about in his grade 3 physics class that has nothing to do with automobiles. Do not be misled. You own one of the most technologically advanced vehicles on the road and the fun and inexpensive driving you can do is second to none. You own a vehicles that at best in normal commuting may never have the ICE start and at worst, on a long trip cross country you can drive 33 to 35% of your miles in all electric and only 65 or 66 % on gas. At present, only one other vehicle on the planet can do this and all for about 55 or 60 % of the cost of a model T from Freemont, California and you have more than double the range.
Enjoy!
BionxJohn, yeah, I agree with you on that. I assume you saw my previous post where I got 214 mpg after 3 months of driving mostly in electric mode. Since most of my driving is local, I didn't use gas much except on a few extended trips. I have no need or desire to hook up to commercial charging stations.

·
Registered
66 Posts
BionxJohn, yeah, I agree with you on that. I assume you saw my previous post where I got 214 mpg after 3 months of driving mostly in electric mode. Since most of my driving is local, I didn't use gas much except on a few extended trips. I have no need or desire to hook up to commercial charging stations.
Glad you are enjoying it and using so little gas. Let me know if you get to do a major cross country trip. I would be pleased to know how your mileage goes. I have driven from Ontario to California twice now and once to Houston, Texas and the results have been incredible.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
One point regarding the PHEV vehicles that I haven't found in any forums is this. It may be possible to end up with a vehicle with 150,000 miles on the odometer, but only 50,000 actual running miles on the ICE. Whatchall think 'bout that???????

·
Registered
66 Posts
I wrote about that exact concept 3 years ago on the Quora forum but it was so full of Tesla fan boy fanatics and cultists that I was insulted repeatedly and told to take my views about PHEVs elsewhere. There is no doubt that with a PHEV, you have purchased 2 completely separate vehicles with the best of both types. You end up in 3 or 4 years with an electric vehicle that has barely had the stater or armature scratched and an ICE that has been shut off every hour or so for 25 or 30 minutes on a highway trip to cool off! I tried to point this out on several occasions and so far, you seem to be the only one to grasp the concept!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
I wrote about that exact concept 3 years ago on the Quora forum but it was so full of Tesla fan boy fanatics and cultists that I was insulted repeatedly and told to take my views about PHEVs elsewhere. There is no doubt that with a PHEV, you have purchased 2 completely separate vehicles with the best of both types. You end up in 3 or 4 years with an electric vehicle that has barely had the stater or armature scratched and an ICE that has been shut off every hour or so for 25 or 30 minutes on a highway trip to cool off! I tried to point this out on several occasions and so far, you seem to be the only one to grasp the concept!
Yep, and I am NOT complaining, just wondering what effect that disparity between high mileage vehicle with low mileage engine might have on resale value. Probably only one way to find out.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yep, and I am NOT complaining, just wondering what effect that disparity between high mileage vehicle with low mileage engine might have on resale value. Probably only one way to find out.
The problem is that I'm not certain it is all that easy to retrieve the engine running hours data to show the low usage.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Well, when I traded my 2018 for the 2020, I really think my dealer hosed me. Then they turned around and sold it for $5,000 more than they gave me within 48 hours. I told the salesman that when I buy a 2022, it is going to be a lot different deal or I walk. I have already got 2 or 3 private buyers lined up and I will not go back to the same dealer again if they give me that B S about resale values on P h E Vs. I don’t care if I go to Ford or KIA or Toyota. I will not stand still for what they did to me last time. I knew I was right and I had to go to the buyer privately to prove it. My dealer and sales rep were ticked that I did that but I don't like being jerked around. Great vehicle or not, car dealers are the most disreputable, lying bunch of SOBs you will ever encounter.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Some guy from Ohio made a fool of himself arguing the same thing yet he does not own nor has he ever driven an Ioniq PHEV.
Nor have I ever owned or driven an apple tree to know that apples fall down, not up, because I aced 3rd grade physics. Helps that my dad was a physics professor and I majored in physics. And you have yet to prove or even state any principle by which burning gas to charge the battery is more efficient than simply converting gas directly to momentum. There are two reasons for that, one is that you can't explain it, the other is entropy. Might be 4th grade physics, but I seem to remember discussions about the sun running out of energy in the 3rd grade.

Physics for Dummies Cheap!

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
I wrote about that exact concept 3 years ago on the Quora forum but it was so full of Tesla fan boy fanatics and cultists that I was insulted repeatedly and told to take my views about PHEVs elsewhere.
Some guy in England argued this at great length with me
Quelle surprise! Despite your thin skin, you like to bring up your losing arguments anywhere you can. Strange indeed.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The problem is that I'm not certain it is all that easy to retrieve the engine running hours data to show the low usage.
It will be more or less apparent in other ways. Just like looking at the brakes on a vehicles with regen braking a mechanic can determine roughly how much the ICE has been used. There also is lifetime data in the car’s computer but you have to know how to retrieve it and a dealer is unlikely to help you with that. He will do it to show to a prospective buyer, but not to you when trading. Your friendly Hyundai dealer at theft, errrr, I mean at work to hep youse!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Nor have I ever owned or driven an apple tree to know that apples fall down, not up, because I aced 3rd grade physics. Helps that my dad was a physics professor and I majored in physics. And you have yet to prove or even state any principle by which burning gas to charge the battery is more efficient than simply converting gas directly to momentum. There are two reasons for that, one is that you can't explain it, the other is entropy. Might be 4th grade physics, but I seem to remember discussions about the sun running out of energy in the 3rd grade.

Physics for Dummies Cheap!
Sun has not run out of energy yet and I prove every day I drive, what I said. But who ever said I was referring to you?? I guess you just don’t get it. It is cheaper to charge while driving than any other way. I do not need to state principles, I just need to state and give results, which you have not and cannot do. There is little point in any discussion with someone who says, “ I have not tried it but I just know it can’t work. Not because I have ever proven it like I do daily but because I am too hammerheaded to accept what someone else says”. I think a couple of the world’s large religions and their whacko beliefs would blend nicely with your so called entropy and 4th grade physics. Both carry about the same level of relativity to actual automotive driving results. I have advised you before to go out and get an Ioniq PHEV, drive it and prove I am wrong but you have yet to do it and more and more Ioniq drivers are doing it every day and confirming that my results are correct. Man, you are some hard headed skeptic living in some phantom world of childhood grade school beliefs that are more deeply entrenched than some nutcase religions from the Middle East.

Get a life. You have been sitting on the side of this site for more than 2 months waiting for me to post more about my results with my Ioniq so you can jump in into the conversation with your nonsensical criticisms regarding something you have absolutely zero knowledge or experience with.
Man, it must be a treat at a neighborhood party with you when the discussion turns to religion or politics and you start to opine!

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Have you taken it up with Hyundai yet that their Sport mode is more efficient than their Eco mode? Send them your results. Perhaps give seminars to ignorant car reviewers. Just think of how you can single handedly can change the world and reduce world dependence on Mideast oil. Imagine all the wealth and fame you will get for this amazing discovery.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Have you taken it up with Hyundai yet that their Sport mode is more efficient than their Eco mode? Send them your results. Perhaps give seminars to ignorant car reviewers. Just think of how you can single handedly can change the world and reduce world dependence on Mideast oil. Imagine all the wealth and fame you will get for this amazing discovery.
Actually I did exactly that last year ticolev with the engineer who designed part of the charging system in Korea. My suggestions and experiment results were the prime reason for the 2020 Ioniq PHEV being delayed 2 months in its introduction last fall. It was intended for release in Sep but was delayed until the Dec LA auto show so they could incorporate the 4th driving mode. My pointers were the prime motivation behind the 4th driving mode being introduced into the 2020 model. That being the “automatic” driving mode added to Sport mode, EV mode and HEV mode. As for what you term ignorant car reviewers, yes I have enlightened several and have received thank you’s from 3 for pointing out something they did not realize. 3 of 5 that I informed were not even aware that the vehicle possssed the ability to recharge itself while driving. They tend to look at tire sizes, plastics used in the interior and prices compared to a Honda or a Toyota rather than technical details. And yes, I did conduct a couple of seminars here in Ontario last year on plug in hybrid vehicles and they were well received. And for what it is worth, I have been handsomely rewarded for my research and have sold the rights to my experiments and notes. So like everything else you have attempted to criticize, you are again far behind and far out in left field. Not being in the Hyundai Circle, you would of course have no way of knowing these things so you are to be excused for your ignorant and ill informed criticism of things quite unfamiliar to you. It was nearly 1and 1/2 years ago that my last e mail from the Hyundai engineer stated and I quote, “ this is incredible. I must speak with my superiors about this”. It is the prime reason I no longer work or accept consulting requests from my former profession.
what precisely do you toil away at? Living on the internet and creating arguments with anyone who knows more than you do about Hyundai PHEVs??
Good luck to you sir, but it will not make you wealthy!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Actually I did exactly that last year ticolev with the engineer who designed part of the charging system in Korea. My suggestions and experiment results were the prime reason for the 2020 Ioniq PHEV being delayed 2 months in its introduction last fall. It was intended for release in Sep but was delayed until the Dec LA auto show so they could incorporate the 4th driving mode. My pointers were the prime motivation behind the 4th driving mode being introduced into the 2020 model. That being the “automatic” driving mode added to Sport mode, EV mode and HEV mode. As for what you term ignorant car reviewers, yes I have enlightened several and have received thank you’s from 3 for pointing out something they did not realize. 3 of 5 that I informed were not even aware that the vehicle possssed the ability to recharge itself while driving. They tend to look at tire sizes, plastics used in the interior and prices compared to a Honda or a Toyota rather than technical details. And yes, I did conduct a couple of seminars here in Ontario last year on plug in hybrid vehicles and they were well received. And for what it is worth, I have been handsomely rewarded for my research and have sold the rights to my experiments and notes. So like everything else you have attempted to criticize, you are again far behind and far out in left field. Not being in the Hyundai Circle, you would of course have no way of knowing these things so you are to be excused for your ignorant and ill informed criticism of things quite unfamiliar to you. It was nearly 1and 1/2 years ago that my last e mail from the Hyundai engineer stated and I quote, “ this is incredible. I must speak with my superiors about this”. It is the prime reason I no longer work or accept consulting requests from my former profession.
what precisely do you toil away at? Living on the internet and creating arguments with anyone who knows more than you do about Hyundai PHEVs??
Good luck to you sir, but it will not make you wealthy!
The gentleman certainly has a flair for twisting the narrative. At no time did I ever suggest that sport mode is more efficient than eco mode. I simply demonstrated that charging in sport mode and then driving in electric mode or using automatic Mode can be more efficient than simply staying in hybrid mode in many many situations. Not all situations but many. It depends on speed and terrain and outside temperature. Hyundai had never tested the method for as many thousands of miles or as many months as I was able to do privately. They also never considered worrying about it with their own testing in Korea or Europe where, unlike the US, gas cannot be bought for $2 a gallon or less for the last few years. It will likely continue to stay low or drop further as electric vehicles proliferate more and more. While this transition is taking place, a PHEV like the Ioniq can be used to take great advantage of the North American situation and provide overall cheaper driving and energy use than most other private passenger vehicles. Consider that a myriad of legacy companies have begun to introduce PHEVs with all electric ranges from 22 miles to 46 miles and every single one of them has an on board charging system to use as needed or wanted where conditions make it super efficient. At this point only Hyundai/Kia and VW are using a fullly geared dual clutch transmission vs a 1 speed constant velocity and it is this that makes it so efficient. Toyota’s Rav 4 Prime has a battery about double the kWh of the Ioniq but gets nowhere near double the range in full electric.
Some of the concepts, ideas and tests that I regularly use would be far too much work and attention consuming for most average drivers who simply want to “drive”very efficiently without switching and playing all over the place as conditions vary but the new automatic mode does a very credible job of coming close. If you have a 2020 model, I suggest you use automatic mode whenever you are driving on non high speed , Non controlled access secondary highways where the speed limits are 55 mph or less. You will easily achieve 35 to 40 miles of electric range. My personal best playing around is about 47 miles. That is 62% better than the 29 miles the EPA rates the Ioniq at. Of course that is in ideal conditions but who would not be pleased with 50 or 60% more of something good, than they were expecting. Unfortunate the gentleman from Ohio is unable to grasp the concept so for the past several months he has taken to sarcastically attacking and criticizing me. Most interesting on a forum where Hyundai Ioniq owners share ideas and personal experiences, to see so much vehemence and nastiness come from someone who neither owns nor has ever sat behind the wheel of an Ioniq PHEV. I believe they generally refer to this on a site as “troll” behaviour.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
At no time did I ever suggest that sport mode is more efficient than eco mode.
What? That wasn't you saying you went further on a tank using Sport mode? Great that I finally won you over. Sorry I wasn't more clear that that was the gist of my issues with your posts.

You are telling me just in time. I was about to concede and say your insightful theories had totally changed my mind about perpetual motion, the flat earth, apples falling up, and the sun running forever (because you said it is running today which blew my mind).

·
Registered
66 Posts
What? That wasn't you saying you went further on a tank using Sport mode? Great that I finally won you over. Sorry I wasn't more clear that that was the gist of my issues with your posts.

You are telling me just in time. I was about to concede and say your insightful theories had totally changed my mind about perpetual motion, the flat earth, apples falling up, and the sun running forever (because you said it is running today which blew my mind).
I don’t have theories. I have actual results which of course you are a trifle short on. But what I don’t have is any more time to waste on a fool who has no car, no experiences, no results and absolutely no idea what he is talking about. Have a great life guy!

81 - 100 of 147 Posts