Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Yes, I agree that all laws of physics are no longer valid because you sir, a random internet nut, have completely convinced me it must be so. Because you have agreed with your own numbers, and apparently convinced someone else. Read it on the internet, must be true! Happy?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Hi guys,

What is the estimate km when the tank is full? Not including the EV range.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I last filled up in March, and the indicator showed 599 miles of gas range, or about 964km when the tank was full

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes, I agree that all laws of physics are no longer valid because you sir, a random internet nut, have completely convinced me it must be so. Because you have agreed with your own numbers, and apparently convinced someone else. Read it on the internet, must be true! Happy?
Don’t tell me. Tell Mr Wang. tell Mr Jack. Tell Hyundai.
why all the nasty name calling on such a friendly forum place? Just because you were mistaken? Vicious name calling insults like that may get you banned from this site.
Tsk, tsk, tsk! Such a strong reaction to being shown to have been in error about something!
I believe several of the people were saying something about keeping an open mind? It is a very good idea and you will find it helps you grow and learn things in life from places like this forum.
Hi guys,

What is the estimate km when the tank is full? Not including the EV range.
Hi Mike.
You should be able to manage 52 to 53 mpg in hybrid mode at 65 mph. As the maximum speed here in Ontario is 62 mph on most of the 400 series heys, this should present no problem. With an 11.4 gal fuel tank, this will give you about 570+ miles with a .4 gal reserve left and your electric miles also yet to be used. My 2020 Ultimate (slightly heavier) did not start giving me this hybrid mileage until after about 5000 miles. The first week I had the car in Feb, on a trip from Sarnia to Houston Texas and return I only averaged about 47 mpg. I now have just over 8000 miles and it is easily getting 52+ in hybrid mode but I seldom use it. I prefer the new automatic mode until the battery pack is depleted, then I recharge the battery.
Good luck. oops , I just noticed you asked in km. About 918 Km at 52 mpg

·
Registered
412 Posts
Don’t tell me. Tell Mr Wang. tell Mr Jack. Tell Hyundai.
why all the nasty name calling on such a friendly forum place? Just because you were mistaken? Vicious name calling insults like that may get you banned from this site.
Tsk, tsk, tsk! Such a strong reaction to being shown to have been in error about something!
I believe several of the people were saying something about keeping an open mind? It is a very good idea and you will find it helps you grow and learn things in life from places like this forum.

Hi Mike.
You should be able to manage 52 to 53 mpg in hybrid mode at 65 mph. As the maximum speed here in Ontario is 62 mph on most of the 400 series heys, this should present no problem. With an 11.4 gal fuel tank, this will give you about 570+ miles with a .4 gal reserve left and your electric miles also yet to be used. My 2020 Ultimate (slightly heavier) did not start giving me this hybrid mileage until after about 5000 miles. The first week I had the car in Feb, on a trip from Sarnia to Houston Texas and return I only averaged about 47 mpg. I now have just over 8000 miles and it is easily getting 52+ in hybrid mode but I seldom use it. I prefer the new automatic mode until the battery pack is depleted, then I recharge the battery.
Good luck. oops , I just noticed you asked in km. About 918 Km at 52 mpg
Thanks BionxJohn.

My car is still at the dealer. Am picking it up tomorrow. I am tracking the car using blue link. I see the dealer just fill the gas tank and it says gas mileage of 886km. Battery is not fully charged yet. Only sitting at around 30% charge.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks BionxJohn.

My car is still at the dealer. Am picking it up tomorrow. I am tracking the car using blue link. I see the dealer just fill the gas tank and it says gas mileage of 886km. Battery is not fully charged yet. Only sitting at around 30% charge.
Glad you are having fun with the Blue Link. Mine seemed to have required 4 or 5 days of “break in” driving until several readings were totally accurate. After you get some break- in done, don’t forget to try driving it at a constant speed between 50 mph and 65 mph in sport mode and 5th gear after your battery has been depleted and post back if you find it fully recharges to 100% in 50 to 55 minutes. I would be interested to hear how many other people can do this. I have now recommended it to 4 who have reported they can do it and still get 35+mpg while charging. If you have some slower speeds then to use the new charge on, you can get up to 35+ miles driving in all electric and any plug in charging you can throw in on top of that starts netting you well in excess of 60 mpg average. Many days, I take (I am retired), a 150 to 175 mile drive with walks and picnics and come home with the car displaying gas mileage average for the day in the mid 70’s.
Many of us will be waiting to hear how you are finding your new Ioniq.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Glad you are having fun with the Blue Link. Mine seemed to have required 4 or 5 days of “break in” driving until several readings were totally accurate. After you get some break- in done, don’t forget to try driving it at a constant speed between 50 mph and 65 mph in sport mode and 5th gear after your battery has been depleted and post back if you find it fully recharges to 100% in 50 to 55 minutes. I would be interested to hear how many other people can do this. I have now recommended it to 4 who have reported they can do it and still get 35+mpg while charging. If you have some slower speeds then to use the new charge on, you can get up to 35+ miles driving in all electric and any plug in charging you can throw in on top of that starts netting you well in excess of 60 mpg average. Many days, I take (I am retired), a 150 to 175 mile drive with walks and picnics and come home with the car displaying gas mileage average for the day in the mid 70’s.
Many of us will be waiting to hear how you are finding your new Ioniq.
Amazing!!! I will give it a try and let you know. I am planning for a longer trip sometime in Aug so that will be the best time to try it out.

I am going to miss my EV so much. Today is my last day with my 2017 EV. It has served me well in the past 2 plus year.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Amazing!!! I will give it a try and let you know. I am planning for a longer trip sometime in Aug so that will be the best time to try it out.

I am going to miss my EV so much. Today is my last day with my 2017 EV. It has served me well in the past 2 plus year.
Great! By the way have you figured out any way we can get out of Ontario?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well I'd like to think I have a fairly solid physics based argument for this though :)

·
Registered
412 Posts
Great! By the way have you figured out any way we can get out of Ontario?
Sorry, I didn't understand what you mean.... Get out of Ontario?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sorry, I didn't understand what you mean.... Get out of Ontario?
Well you said you were soon going on a long trip and I am finding it difficult to drive anywhere out of Ontario with all the darn COVID restrictions. We can%to get to the Maritime bubble or into Manitoba without 14 days isolation and of course the US border is closed. Quebec is about it without isolation and my French is not good enough for 14 straight days.
where to go with our new Ioniqs???
🤷🤷🍺

·
Registered
412 Posts
Well you said you were soon going on a long trip and I am finding it difficult to drive anywhere out of Ontario with all the darn COVID restrictions. We can%to get to the Maritime bubble or into Manitoba without 14 days isolation and of course the US border is closed. Quebec is about it without isolation and my French is not good enough for 14 straight days.
where to go with our new Ioniqs???
🤷🤷🍺

lol, I am driving to the Niagara Fall :)

It's not really long road trip back and forth a little over 320 km for me.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My first fill-up on the PHEV was very satisfying. 51.2 mpg. 547 mi and 10.085 gal. Used all modes during this period. Some charging, some Sport mode, a lot of EV mileage. Mostly city and suburban driving and hilly city.

Second fill-up was at 970 mi and after 454.2 mi. 10.194 gal for 46.6 mpg. This time I stayed out of EV mode most of the time and no charging from AC line at all. Tried to keep the power meter between half and three quarters. A couple of times, when the charge got below half, I ran in Sport mode until battery charged to three quarters, then went back to strictly HEV. Some mileage was expressway but 70% was as the first run.

Now I plan to try to use as little gas as possible for this third run. Lots of charging and all EV if possible.
If you drive in automatic mode until charge is depleted, then switch to sport mode, 5th gear, and drive for 52 minutes you will be 100% recharged. The ratio is roughly 2 to 1. For every 2 miles you drive in 5thgear sport mode, you will regain 1 mile of all electric. So on a 900 mile trip you will really drive 600 miles on gas and 200 miles on electric. City driving, mountains and other use of level 3 regen will even improve on the above. While driving for these 52 minutes in charge mode you will burn .39 of 1 US gal more than if you drove in hybrid mode. At $2.15 a gallon average in the US, this .39 gallon will mean it cost you about 90 cents to recharge and you keep driving while you do it. If you stopped at a commercial level 2 charger, it will take about 2 hours and 15 minutes and cost $3 to $4 to charge. Don’t let anyone tell you that charging in sport mode while driving is inefficient. That is nonsense! Plus of course you shut your ICE engine off for 25 or 30 minutes every 52 to 55 minutes so you can drive in electric again.
Good luck and enjoy your Ioniq PHEV.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Not sure I understand your conflicting statements here. "Don't let anyone tell you that charging in sport mode is inefficient", and "While driving for these 52 minutes in charge mode you will burn .39 of 1 US gal more than if you drove in hybrid mode". Sounds less efficient to me to burn more gasoline. This also pollutes more as well, not what most green vehicle owners were going for.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Not sure I understand your conflicting statements here. "Don't let anyone tell you that charging in sport mode is inefficient", and "While driving for these 52 minutes in charge mode you will burn .39 of 1 US gal more than if you drove in hybrid mode". Sounds less efficient to me to burn more gasoline. This also pollutes more as well, not what most green vehicle owners were going for.
If you own a plug in hybrid, part of the time you are going to burn gasoline. Otherwise buy an all electric vehicle. Perhaps you missed the part about comparing this cost of .39 gal vs cost of electricity anywhere to accomplish the same thing. The price of gas at Beaverdam, Ohio this morning is $2.10 at Flying J. So .39 gal is about 89 cents. Is there anywhere in the world where you could plug into a commercial level 2 charging outlet for 2 hr and 15 min for 89 cents?? Of course not. When you talk efficiency, I also consider the value of my time as worth far more than $$. I really do not think you have ever gotten the picture of what I have presented. Driving around town every day and plugging in at home between trips and overnight is unquestionably the best procedure and use of a PHEV and it may be many days or even weeks that the ICE does not start. But when travelling across the country on an extended trip, it would never be efficient to stop and charge a PHEV.
And now I do not understand your point about burning more gas. Once and for all, can you please understand that my Ioniq PHEV can travel about 600 miles on its 11.4 gallons of gas. You can do this 2 ways. Drive 30 miles on electricity and 570 miles on gas or you can drive 200 miles on all electric and 400 miles on gas and you can do anywhere in between as you choose.
There was NO conflicting statement. It simply does not make any difference how you choose to consume your 11.4 gallons of gas Each tankful on a long trip. You still go the same 600 miles. My way simply allows me to use all electric in places where I consider it better or environmentally more friendly.
The premise is simple. The Ioniq will allow you to recharge as you drive at a ratio of slightly better than 2 to 1. That is, 2 miles on gas gives you 1 mile of electric charge. You seem to keep ignoring that after you burn that .39 gallon extra in the 52 to 54 minutes to recharge, you then burn no gas for the next 27 minutes and you pretty much recover in average mpg what you gave up during those 52 to 54 minutes. What could anyone find inefficient about that? It is a cheaper way to recharge when travelling cross country plus you continue to drive versus stopping to charge.

·
Registered
727 Posts
While driving for these 52 minutes in charge mode you will burn .39 of 1 US gal more than if you drove in hybrid mode.
Yes, but when you got to a city after a long trip you'd have a full battery to do all the annoying stop and go in EV mode instead of inefficiently and noisily rowing through the gears burning more than .39 gallons of gas doing it. Depending how long you'll be in that city and how much driving you'll do there (especially if you couldn't plug in) that would be worth it. I wish I had done this on my Ottawa trip last year, I got there with just 10 km of EV range left and nowhere to plug in for free/cheap, so ended up burning a bunch of gas farting around town.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes, but when you got to a city after a long trip you'd have a full battery to do all the annoying stop and go in EV mode instead of inefficiently and noisily rowing through the gears burning more than .39 gallons of gas doing it. Depending how long you'll be in that city and how much driving you'll do there (especially if you couldn't plug in) that would be worth it. I wish I had done this on my Ottawa trip last year, I got there with just 10 km of EV range left and nowhere to plug in for free/cheap, so ended up burning a bunch of gas farting around town.
Exactly my point! When on any trip and you know you are about 50 miles out from a large city, switch to charge mode and arrive with a full electric charge for city driving. I usually get 35 to 38 miles of EV range in a city making maximum use of level 3 regen. I just now 1/2 hour ago, arrived home from a 117 mile, 3 hour fun outing in the local countryside. Couple of walks, snacks and 2 beers on local conservation area hiking trails. Two lane paved roads with 50 to 55 mph speed limits. I left my house with a full charge and arrived home with 1 mile of range left. I fully recharged twice in the 3 hours and my average mpg was 87.6. This, someone would call inefficient??? I burned 1.33 gallons (US) of gas. $4.34 for gas for a 3 hour outing where our gas price here at the local Indian reserve gas bar is 86 cents a litre? That is $3.27 Canadian for a US gallon. My gas engine was running less than half the time. Duh?? Somebody Says I am doing something wrong, inefficient or stupid??? If I was driving in the US with US $$ and paying $2 a gallon it would be a joke not even worth discussing. Unfortunately the border is still closed but when it reopens, I will be off to California to visit my daughter and family and the efficiency of the Ioniq easily pays for 3 motels each way. I know because I did it twice in 2018 and 2019 with my old 2018 Ioniq.

41 - 60 of 82 Posts