Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first fill-up on the PHEV was very satisfying. 51.2 mpg. 547 mi and 10.085 gal. Used all modes during this period. Some charging, some Sport mode, a lot of EV mileage. Mostly city and suburban driving and hilly city.

Second fill-up was at 970 mi and after 454.2 mi. 10.194 gal for 46.6 mpg. This time I stayed out of EV mode most of the time and no charging from AC line at all. Tried to keep the power meter between half and three quarters. A couple of times, when the charge got below half, I ran in Sport mode until battery charged to three quarters, then went back to strictly HEV. Some mileage was expressway but 70% was as the first run.

Now I plan to try to use as little gas as possible for this third run. Lots of charging and all EV if possible.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Saving the best for last eh? EV mode is my favorite. It may be awhile before you finally use the next tank full of gas. I'll be (patiently) looking forward to hear what your next mpg is. Good luck and enjoy.

·
Super Moderator
8,213 Posts
@RogDogNY let the car worry about charge level and stay out of sport mode unless needed to accelerate to join traffic from the on ramp of a freeway

using sport mode to charge the battery is very inefficient

gentle acceleration and breaking give best economy, as long as you aren't being a pain in the butt to other drivers

the othe thing with a plugin is "left over charge in the battery is wasted fuel" if you reach the destination with charge left and been running the ICE you have been wasting fuel

the most efficient use of battery charge is low speed and higher speed for ICE use, so if you do a longer run that exceeds EV range use the EV mode in town then switch to HEV for freeway/highway then back to EV at the far end

also seat warmers are more efficient that A/C in cold weather

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Saving the best for last eh? EV mode is my favorite. It may be awhile before you finally use the next tank full of gas. I'll be (patiently) looking forward to hear what your next mpg is. Good luck and enjoy.
Not really best for last. Wanted to get 1k miles on ICE so I could get the 'break in' done before I might need to 'floor it' in some tight situation. Looking forward to 100 mpg. LOL.

Reactions: bluecar1

·
Registered
160 Posts
I get better mileage using a combination of EV,HEV and sport mode and carefully planning when to use each during my trip. That is compared to just using EV till HEV kicks in and then just leaving it in HEV the rest of the trip.
I use EV when I will be driving slower than 60 kph and on descends for regen. I use HEV on level roads at high speeds. And sport mode is great for going uphill with very low fuel consumption as long as you have enough battery to help out.

There is a regular trip I do which is 200km. The best consumption achieved with the EV/HEV (car deciding) modes is 3.2 l/100km. The best with me deciding which mode to use and the same speeds is 2.6 l/100km. Both ways trip ends with around 8-10% battery remaining.

Charging your battery in sport mode could be efficient for the whole trip if you have something EV efficient to use that battery for afterwards like city driving or a long ascend in sport mode. Other than in those cases it is useless to charge in sport mode just to do several kilometres in EV mode. HEV mode does that pretty well.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
June 5, 2020: Follow-up regarding mileage. Filled up tank at 970 miles. Now at 1219 miles and gas gauge still sets at full. Did use some gas today due to driving over 28 miles on EV. Still, even so, gauge has NOT moved off FULL indication.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
June 5, 2020: Follow-up regarding mileage. Filled up tank at 970 miles. Now at 1219 miles and gas gauge still sets at full. Did use some gas today due to driving over 28 miles on EV. Still, even so, gauge has NOT moved off FULL indication.
June 26 now up to 1483 miles or 513 since last fill and gas gauge still says FULL.

Reactions: KevinT and Jonboy

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm still on my cars first tank of gas.
I'm on 3600km, 406km/l. Calculated i used 9 liters of fuel. :)
So that would be a bit over 2200 miles for us metric challenged folks. WOW. Of course it all depends on how far you drive between charging. Any long trips are going to cut into that pretty deep. However, any thing over 40 mpg is better than any vehicle I've ever had. Winter is going to be tough since I'm too lazy to plod through the snow just to plug in my car. Hasn't happened yet, but I know me. LOL. .

·
Registered
14 Posts
So that would be a bit over 2200 miles for us metric challenged folks. WOW. Of course it all depends on how far you drive between charging. Any long trips are going to cut into that pretty deep. However, any thing over 40 mpg is better than any vehicle I've ever had. Winter is going to be tough since I'm too lazy to plod through the snow just to plug in my car. Hasn't happened yet, but I know me. LOL. .
I have 30km to work, and i charge there. And offcourse 30km back home.
Basickly that is what i do monday to friday. I also visit costumers, but so far i was able to charge.

The few times i ran with the ICE, i got 24 km/l. Also verry acceptable.

Yehar, Winter is going to be verry hard! Here in Denmark i will be needing the engine to warm up a lot. I'm wondring why
they dident have elektric heating, when they have elektric cooling. Hmm.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Winter is going to be verry hard! Here in Denmark i will be needing the engine to warm up a lot. I'm wondring why
they dident have elektric heating, when they have elektric cooling.
I really wish that Hyundai had put the heat pump from the top EV trim into the top trim plug-in version as well. It wouldn't help in the middle of Canadian winter, but would have saved me a lot of gas in spring and fall.

Reactions: Ionko

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got over 700 miles since last fill up and gas gauge still says FULL. Wow, I do like this vehicle.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Got over 700 miles since last fill up and gas gauge still says FULL. Wow, I do like this vehicle.
I assume your daily driving is in the EV mode and within the EV range. I am excited to see all the range this car is giving all the PHEV drivers.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I assume your daily driving is in the EV mode and within the EV range. I am excited to see all the range this car is giving all the PHEV drivers.
Yeah Mike that was my goal. I tried and mostly succeeded in staying in EV mode. Once in awhile the ICE would come on, but my gauge hasn't dropped off the full mark and my Gas Station guy has started to send me ' I miss you' cards. However, I have seen enough to satisfy me that this vehicle can save bunches of petrol. I have some distance driving to do soon, so I'm nearing the end of this trial. I was never intending to try setting any records, and I see some members have far exceeded any fuel savings more than I'll ever do. Still, I am pleasantly impressed, and twenty bucks richer. Not counting the 20 cents worth of electric I've used to pump up the battery. (Yeah, but I'm lucky to be on muninciple power.)

·
Registered
31 Posts
@RogDogNY let the car worry about charge level and stay out of sport mode unless needed to accelerate to join traffic from the on ramp of a freeway

using sport mode to charge the battery is very inefficient

gentle acceleration and breaking give best economy, as long as you aren't being a pain in the butt to other drivers

the othe thing with a plugin is "left over charge in the battery is wasted fuel" if you reach the destination with charge left and been running the ICE you have been wasting fuel

the most efficient use of battery charge is low speed and higher speed for ICE use, so if you do a longer run that exceeds EV range use the EV mode in town then switch to HEV for freeway/highway then back to EV at the far end

also seat warmers are more efficient that A/C in cold weather
Somebody posted on here a couple of weeks ago about charging in sport mode and I tried exactly how he described it and I found it worked just like he said.
I drove out 2 full tanks of gas and got about the same 600 miles on each tank but the second way let me drive about 200 miles in all electric snd about 400 miles on gas. Since I charge up in my garage every night, I mostly do not use the gas motor but I don’t think I would ever plug in while on a long trip unless it was right where I was stopped for at least a couple of hours and only if it was free. Gas here is very cheap and so I can’t see the part about inefficient.
thanks to the guy for the tip.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a 2020 Ioniq PHEV and using the automatic drive mode, I have been able to get as high as 46 miles without the motor starting. I was very surprised and pleased since Hyundai only lists it as 29 miles here in Canada. This was in an area where the speed limits are mostly 50, 60 and 70 kilometers per hour and I used the level 3 Regeneration paddle whenever slowing or stopping but still,I was very surprised.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Somebody posted on here a couple of weeks ago about charging in sport mode and I tried exactly how he described it and I found it worked just like he said.
I drove out 2 full tanks of gas and got about the same 600 miles on each tank but the second way let me drive about 200 miles in all electric snd about 400 miles on gas. Since I charge up in my garage every night, I mostly do not use the gas motor but I don’t think I would ever plug in while on a long trip unless it was right where I was stopped for at least a couple of hours and only if it was free. Gas here is very cheap and so I can’t see the part about inefficient.
thanks to the guy for the tip.
Who needs physics when you can depend on magical thinking! Plus plug in miles which completely distorts the experiment. Wonder why Hyundai doesn't recommend leaving cars in Sport mode for better efficiency? Clearly a conspiracy.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Who needs physics when you can depend on magical thinking! Plus plug in miles which completely distorts the experiment. Wonder why Hyundai doesn't recommend leaving cars in Sport mode for better efficiency? Clearly a conspiracy.
Not sure what you mean? Are U suggesting Hyundai has deliberately hid this in a conspiracy?
I was just thanking some guy for a valuable tip.
I read what he said and I went out specifically over the last 2 weeks to try it. No magic. It works. You can actually go about the same 600 miles whichever method you use. Very, very useful to know. As I said, I plug in at home everyday when I am here but on any long trip, why would I stop for 2 hours or more to charge when I can keep moving and charge?
I see it as very simple. My Ioniq will go about 600 miles on 11.4 gallons of gas so it doesn’t seem to matter what proportion or combination of gas and electric and charging while driving I use, the same 600 miles uses 11.4 gallons of gas but that guy’s idea has given me a choice.
I hope he will jump into the discussion but if not, I owe him a big thanks anyway.

·
Super Moderator
2,079 Posts
Not got the PHEV but my hybrid will do 600 miles and more on a full tank . Just begs the question " What's the point of a PHEV ? " , especially in the UK where it's about £8000 dearer than the Hybrid in the UK .
Not a criticism of your post just an observation :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
TLDR: Based on engine efficiency considerations ActionJack was probably right, and it is likely that average fuel economy (after factoring in the gain in electric range) even with the gas engine charging the PHEV battery will end up in the 50mpg range even if the user uses sport mode to charge the battery. On the whole it is probably a slight hit from hybrid mode, but its not as inefficient as I would have initially thought.

For what its worth, I tried it pretty non scientifically on a drive this past weekend for about a 10 minute stretch of driving. The numbers ended up ballpark what Action Jack described, with about ~35mpg in fifth gear in sport mode and ~45mpg in sixth gear in a 50-60mph range ( i was in the Greater Boston area so wasn't a good time to set the cruise).

I did notice that in fifth gear, the engine RPMs in this speed range was around 2000rpm, which is empirically the most mechanically efficient operating region for the engine, while in sixth gear for the speeds I was at, the engine RPMs were in the 1000rpm range which is good for fuel efficiency but not optimal from an engine efficiency/brake specific fuel consumption (BSFC) standpoint. I went from 52.5% SOC to 66.5%SOC during this experiment. I have cumulative energy and cumulative energy discharged readings from my Bluetooth OBD as well and this went from 816.8/789.7 kWh to 819.1/790.6kWh, for a net charge of 1.4kWh into the battery in about 18 minutes. So this actually implies a charge rate of 4.7kW into the battery, or an equivalent of 5.4kW from a charger if 86% charging efficiency is assumed, which once again is consistent with Jack's claims.

In hybrid mode from the same meter in similar conditions I was averaging about 55-60mpg instantaneous. I was trying to keep the rpms of the engine in the 1500-2000 range whenever the engine engaged (pulse and glide operation), although I'm not sure how well I pulled it off.

My conclusion is for optimal efficiency HEV is probably still the right way to go, especially if you take the underlying lesson and try to load the engine whenever it engages (as opposed to cruising at low rpm), basically Pulse and Glide. But if you wanted to gain a reserve of 5-10 electric miles over an open stretch of highway anticipating traffic later this is indeed a viable method.

What you probably don't want to do is charge the battery this way and immediately kick into EV mode at a >70MPH cruising speed though. I have a hard time seeing EV mode operation being as efficient as the gas engine, since EV range degrades significantly at these kinds of highway speeds.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts