Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered my Ioniq today :)

Not sure if I should mention the dealer name or anything, but had a test drive earlier this morning. In the forecourt, was a metallic grey Premium Ioniq. It had been left on to warm up.
When I got in, it was roasting inside! The sales guy turned it down a notch or two, thankfully.

Anyway, the drive was great. Smooth, relaxed, road noise was fairly quiet. It accelerated very well, quickly and powerfully.
I found the dashboard quite busy, with a lot going on, so that will take a little getting used to. Visibility was good, including out of the back.
I drove it on the motorway, a busy A road, and through a village, and the car handled very well.

The only negatives I had from the test drive were:
- it's not possible to manually engage EV mode, which is a pity.
- the braking is a bit spongy and you need to be more firm to stop in time! My Gen2 Prius has got it spot on in terms of braking, so I hope it'll be possible to update the software of this.

I also learned that you can use Sports mode to change gears up and down, so that is fantastic. My question about the Ioniq's version of the Prius B-mode is answered: if you go down steep, long hills, you can therefore change into Sports mode, and change down gears. I think this will also help in icy/snowy conditions, where my Prius could not drive up the very slight incline of my drive in icy weather!

I also think that the philosophy of Hyundai and Toyota are different in terms of hybrid cars - the Prius is quiet technical and whereas the Ioniq is for those who just want to drive a fun car withe environmentally-friendly credentials without having to shot it out to everyone.

But overall, I was very impressed with the Ioniq, and certainly a step up in all ways over the Gen2 and even the Gen3 Prius.
I didn't play with any of the technology (satnav, bluetooth, etc.), but concentrated on how the car drove. Not used to having a rear view camera - another thing to learn!

So I've made my order for the Premium model, in Marina Blue. Floor mats don't come as standard - they are extra, but the dealer kindly threw them in for me inclusive.
I even got a fair price for my 2004 Prius! I really thought that I would be buying another Prius, but I think Toyota have dropped the ball, and allowed others to catch up.
Hyundai have a real competitor on their hands, and I'm already looking forward to see what else they will come up with.

I've mentioned in another forum on this site, but when the dealer checked, he told me that there were two shipments coming in, on 11 and 28 January, for both blue and blue coloured Premiums, and that he'd try and aim to deliver my car in mid-January.

I can't wait!

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
Regarding your two negative points , you don't really need to manually engage the EV it will choose for you . It takes a light touch on the accelerator once you get up to speed it will do it for you or , in traffic , don't touch the accelerator at all it will creep along in EV unless it's a hill and you need the conventional petrol motor .
The brakes feel a bit spongy but , believe me ,they stop when they have to . Some dickhead tested it for me when he pulled out in front of me and I stopped dead .
Not really tried Sport mode yet, maybe when there's snow on the hills I will .
It's a great car and blue seems to be the most popular colour unsurprisingly :) . Hope yours gets here on the 11th

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks chunga68 for your reply.

My main point about EV mode, is that it would be useful for moving the car short distances, or leaving early in the morning without waking up the household or neighbours.
I do this a lot actually with my Prius, especially at the start of the school run, when I need to move the car to a safe spot to get the kids in, without having the ICE come on and run idly.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I seem to have said 'blue and blue' instead of 'blue and black'. Black was also the other colour I considered (I have a pearl black Prius), but yes, the marina blue is going to be a very popular colour and rightly so.

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
Thanks chunga68 for your reply.

My main point about EV mode, is that it would be useful for moving the car short distances, or leaving early in the morning without waking up the household or neighbours.
I do this a lot actually with my Prius, especially at the start of the school run, when I need to move the car to a safe spot to get the kids in, without having the ICE come on and run idly.
Fair point , but the petrol always kicks in when cold . Initially pulls off in EV but soon kicks in . On the plus side , it's a very quiet car in both modes

·
Registered
176 Posts
Here I am in the USA .... and our local dealer did not even know about the Ioniq. "Never heard of it ... is that a concept vehicle?" (that was a month ago)(The Sales Manager got all excited when I told him about the Ioniq)

Now, I'm reading about the long wait time in Europe and Asia .... what is going on? Does Hyundai just not have the manufacturing capacity to overcome long wait times ...and to get them to the USA?

Lastly .... I love that there are more writers on the forum. Nine comments today ..... back 6 months ago there was just 3-4 of us the made comments. Way to go!!!

BTW .... many of the writers over on PriusChat are in denial. Like democrats, they can't believe that there is another (party, car, group, interest) that is threatening their domination. Way to go Hyundai!!!

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
I have yet to work out exactly how to manually "encourage" it to change into EV mode

you can ease off a bit for 2-3 seconds so the ICE stops and so long as the road is reasonably flat it stays in EV mode

but it seems to change in and out of EV mode at the same places on roads as though it is using information about the terrain from the sat nag

one thing you will find with the reversing camera is things look a lot further in the camera compared to looking in your mirrors, so you get the yellow lines thinking "plenty of room" then look in the mirrors and think S**t, and hit the brakes until you get used to it

I too can confirm the brakes are very good, as I have had several idiots make me test them, to the point I have seen both the amber and red collision warnings, and on day 2 a white van drove at me and the AEB jumped on the brakes just ahead of me

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
What I've found on my route to work is

On my route to work I first have a 3 mile climb up a mountain and the about the same down the other side . Most of the remaining stretch , about 14 miles , is showing as being on EV apart from a few minor hill climbs . I give the accelerator a little nudge to keep my road speed up every now and then and it mostly reverts to EV . Basically much the same way I found to drive my previous car and get the best fuel efficiency , let the momentum do the work

On

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here I am in the USA .... and our local dealer did not even know about the Ioniq. "Never heard of it ... is that a concept vehicle?" (that was a month ago)(The Sales Manager got all excited when I told him about the Ioniq)

Now, I'm reading about the long wait time in Europe and Asia .... what is going on? Does Hyundai just not have the manufacturing capacity to overcome long wait times ...and to get them to the USA?

Lastly .... I love that there are more writers on the forum. Nine comments today ..... back 6 months ago there was just 3-4 of us the made comments. Way to go!!!

BTW .... many of the writers over on PriusChat are in denial. Like democrats, they can't believe that there is another (party, car, group, interest) that is threatening their domination. Way to go Hyundai!!!
I think the Ioniq is pretty popular back home in Korea, so that's probably what is causing whatever shortages there are. Supply and Demand!
Having said that, I've been told that it's a 3-4 month waiting list for a Gen4 Prius. It took me 7 months to get my hands on my Gen2 Prius back in 2004!

I can totally understand why there is so much denial in the Prius forums. There isn't much difference between the two cars for the 'normal driver'. If you're a purist, then you'll probably want the Prius, but I think for most Prius drivers, they will be very pleasantly surprised by how well the Ioniq performs.

BTW, did you get anywhere with your dealer in getting a test drive or even a brochure!?

·
Registered
66 Posts
but it seems to change in and out of EV mode at the same places on roads as though it is using information about the terrain from the sat nag
When you said this I thought to myself "Yes that's quite plausible really! All the info is there for it and I'm not sure if any other manufacturer has tried it....and their infographics also show a cartoon car going up and down hills" so I set about researching.

And seeing as the Ioniq's bigger (fatter) sister is the Kia Niro I came across the following:
8 Cool facts 2017 Kia Niro

Mainly the following:
The On-Board Navigation System Helps You Get Better Gas Mileage
A nice little trick that the 2017 Niro has up its sleeve is that it uses GPS navigation and topography to help you get better fuel economy. That means the car can detect if you’re travelling uphill, downhill, or on level ground, and it will ensure that the hybrid powertrain operates as efficiently as possible depending on the driving situation and your environment.
Which begs another question... If you use the navigation for navigation, does it direct you along different routes compared to say Garmin, Google Maps, or Waze to maximise downhill travel?

Because if not I imagine that will be an update they would be pushing out eventually as that will help more novices get nearer the magical 83mpg without even trying too hard!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi well I ordered mine in October then was told end of Nov then told Dec then 12 the of Jan now yesterday told 24of Jan I'm really brassed of now. I'm now thinking about going for the new i30 might get that sooner just can't believe it

·
Registered
66 Posts
At this rate it'll never be added to the affinity deal :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ordered my Ioniq today :)

Not sure if I should mention the dealer name or anything, but had a test drive earlier this morning. In the forecourt, was a metallic grey Premium Ioniq. It had been left on to warm up.
When I got in, it was roasting inside! The sales guy turned it down a notch or two, thankfully.

Anyway, the drive was great. Smooth, relaxed, road noise was fairly quiet. It accelerated very well, quickly and powerfully.
I found the dashboard quite busy, with a lot going on, so that will take a little getting used to. Visibility was good, including out of the back.
I drove it on the motorway, a busy A road, and through a village, and the car handled very well.

The only negatives I had from the test drive were:
- it's not possible to manually engage EV mode, which is a pity.
- the braking is a bit spongy and you need to be more firm to stop in time! My Gen2 Prius has got it spot on in terms of braking, so I hope it'll be possible to update the software of this.

I also learned that you can use Sports mode to change gears up and down, so that is fantastic. My question about the Ioniq's version of the Prius B-mode is answered: if you go down steep, long hills, you can therefore change into Sports mode, and change down gears. I think this will also help in icy/snowy conditions, where my Prius could not drive up the very slight incline of my drive in icy weather!

I also think that the philosophy of Hyundai and Toyota are different in terms of hybrid cars - the Prius is quiet technical and whereas the Ioniq is for those who just want to drive a fun car withe environmentally-friendly credentials without having to shot it out to everyone.

But overall, I was very impressed with the Ioniq, and certainly a step up in all ways over the Gen2 and even the Gen3 Prius.
I didn't play with any of the technology (satnav, bluetooth, etc.), but concentrated on how the car drove. Not used to having a rear view camera - another thing to learn!

So I've made my order for the Premium model, in Marina Blue. Floor mats don't come as standard - they are extra, but the dealer kindly threw them in for me inclusive.
I even got a fair price for my 2004 Prius! I really thought that I would be buying another Prius, but I think Toyota have dropped the ball, and allowed others to catch up.
Hyundai have a real competitor on their hands, and I'm already looking forward to see what else they will come up with.

I've mentioned in another forum on this site, but when the dealer checked, he told me that there were two shipments coming in, on 11 and 28 January, for both blue and blue coloured Premiums, and that he'd try and aim to deliver my car in mid-January.

I can't wait!
Hi Asfafa
i have placede a order fro a new Ioniq hybrid premium and cannot wait to get hold of it , would love to hear what your experience has been living with the car on a day to day basis , i am trading up from a toyota auris hybris 2010 and would be interested to see how the Ioniq performs in cold winter mornings with ice thick on the windscreen

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
Hi Asfafa
i have placede a order fro a new Ioniq hybrid premium and cannot wait to get hold of it , would love to hear what your experience has been living with the car on a day to day basis , i am trading up from a toyota auris hybris 2010 and would be interested to see how the Ioniq performs in cold winter mornings with ice thick on the windscreen

had a few nice frosty morning down here in the southeast, not had a problem so far, got to be up and out for work tomorrow 7am and we are forecast freezing fog, the car already has a thick layer of ice on it

the heated steering wheel is great when your hands are frozen after de-icing the car, was not something I thought I would use, but its growing on me

heating seems to warm up quickly

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi hybridpaul - welcome to the forums!

I don't have my Ioniq yet, but I will let you all know when there is a firm delivery date.
I haven't contacted the dealers yet but will do so next week.

Have you been given any delivery dates? Colour?

My wife is also on the lookout for a new car, but the Ioniq is too big for her, and so we are looking at a new(ish) Auris Hybrid. If Hyundai could do a hybrid version of the i20/i30, I'm sure it would sell too!

·
Registered
260 Posts
If Hyundai could do a hybrid version of the i20/i30, I'm sure it would sell too!
I think at some point they will do, probably not for a few years until they get real world development feedback on the ioniq. Look at the Prius roadmap, it was a good few years until Toyota went in to different models with hybrid power. I would say the models from 2020 onwards will probably be the next hybrid offerings.

I hope so to, as whilst I am waiting for dates for my Ioniq, my wife quite liked the look of the i20 when she was busying herself in the showroom, and having looked, the new Ines are very impressive spec wise too!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I think at some point they will do, probably not for a few years until they get real world development feedback on the ioniq. Look at the Prius roadmap, it was a good few years until Toyota went in to different models with hybrid power. I would say the models from 2020 onwards will probably be the next hybrid offerings.
You might have missed that Hyundai Sonata HEVs and Kia Optima HEVs have been manufactured since 2011. In 2015, they sold around 30000 Sonata HEVs and in 2016 around 22000. See e.g. here Sales by Model | IR | Hyundai Worldwide

See also their current market share here
November 2016 Dashboard

and for historical sales numbers until 2014 you can get some numbers here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybri..._the_United_States#Historical_sales_1999-2014

Of course they're way behind Toyota but they definitely want to catch up. And they have started the diversification in models with this recent launch of the Ioniq and the Kia Niro. So quite to the contrary to your guess, by 2020 they plan according to this source (http://www.autonews.com/article/20160404/OEM05/304049949/hyundai-kias-grand-electrification-plan) to have a portfolio of 26 models with alternative drivetrains (HEV, PHEV, EV, FCV, whatever) by 2020. And a hybrid i30 would fit perfectly. So I definitely count on that. But to my knowledge there aren't any reliable sources to confirm this.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Sorry, I don't think I have seen any around here in The UK and are certainly not available through the leasing company I am having to use.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
most of the hybrids have been sold in the US, very few in Europe

the i30 is the next model is rumoured to get the hybrid powertrain next, as they are just releasing a new version of the i30 I suspect 12-18 months down the line we may see it

for me the sweet spot for EV's currently would be the smaller family car used for shopping / school runs as short distances and when a petrol / diesel is least efficient, but for that they seriously need to reduce the cost before mass market appeal

1 - 20 of 55 Posts