Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here in Phx, we have 6 or 7 Hyundai dealerships - only 2 are independent, the rest all owned by one company/person/whatever.

I went to one of the independents in mid/late Nov, as my wife was looking at a Santa Fe, so I asked about Ioniq...they had no idea what it was. Hadn't even heard about it.

I went to one of other dealers in Dec, the one that owns most of the ones in Phx...which maybe makes it a bigger player as a combined entity, in terms of total car sales. I went specifically to ask about availability, and the salesman told me that they had just recently went through training on the cars. He didn't know a ton about the car, but he knew what they were, that there were 3 models, and some general info about the cars - probably less than most people here know, who have done a bunch of research :). But at least he knew about the cars. One thing they do not know yet is pricing - at least exact pricing, he knew the approximate range.

he went and checked with the inventory manager, and confirmed that the cars had loaded onto a ship from Korea, and would be arriving in the States - LA port (probably Long Bitch), in a couple of weeks. Add a couple weeks for customs clearance, a couple of weeks for shipping and dealer prep...and he said he would expect them to be available around Feb or so.

He said they don't take orders, as in you cannot custom order a car with the options you want - i guess that is standard Hyundai even on their regular gas cars - you simply buy off the lot, and they can check inventory from other dealers if they don't have exactly what you want.

Anyway, looks like roughly Feb for availability of the Ioniq. Anyone have better/different info? I am simply assuming the salesman wasn't BS'ing me...

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
Welcome to the forum Easteraz

this is good news that US dealers are getting training, and they are aware of the Ioniq and prepared to talk about it

in the UK my dealer got the training the day before the launch !!!

hopefully late jan / early feb launch then

Which Ioniq are you considering, ball park figures I saw last year for US seem to indicate starting price of around $25,000 for base hybrid up to $30,000 for the top of range hybrid, not seen any prices for the EV version

does that tie in with the ball park figures from the dealer?

·
Registered
5 Posts
In southeast US...

Dealer today quoted "Late Jan/early Feb" for best guess on receiving Ioniq Electric or hybrid in the Southeast. No idea on the PHEV version though. FWIW!

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
welcome edawg

good to see we now have several US dealers giving the same estimates for receiving the Ioniq

you say south east, can you give us the state?

which are you looking at the EV or hybrid?

were you given any estimates on price of each model?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Our Phev isn't meant to be coming until late Feb/Early March I've heard, so I imagine you guys wont get sight of it until around May?
(I just added the 3 month delay from our launch until our guess date of arrival onto your Feb date)

·
Registered
78 Posts
...the cars had loaded onto a ship from Korea, and would be arriving in the States - LA port (probably Long Bitch), in a couple of weeks. Add a couple weeks for customs clearance, a couple of weeks for shipping and dealer prep...and he said he would expect them to be available around Feb or so.
It doesn't take that long to get here unless there's a huge shipping difference between So. Korea and Japan. At most I give it 1 extra week for the few hundred miles farther from the US. My Prius was built on June and I bought it first week of July.

·
Registered
260 Posts
...Anyway, looks like roughly Feb for availability of the Ioniq. Anyone have better/different info? I am simply assuming the salesman wasn't BS'ing me...
How can you tell if a salesman is BS'ing? Their lips move.

I'm looking at the Niro and Ioniq. The Niro was supposed to launch the last quarter of this year and the Ioniq the first quarter of next year, but here it is Jan almost and the Kia website isn't even fully updated with specs. It is still regarded as a "future" vehicle. However, there is a display model of the Niro at "select" dealerships (none anywhere near me) where people can press their face against the glass and oooh and ahhh but not buy. My local Kia dealer says Niro is coming in Spring. His lips were moving when he said that, though.

Ah well. I probably wouldn't be able to make my mind up between the Niro and Ioniq without seeing and driving both so I would have to wait till both models are available. My worry is that we have a president-elect taking office in about 3 weeks that's vowing tariffs and trade wars. Can Hyundai/Kia not see how things are shaping up in this country? They had better have boatloads of these cars on the way and arriving before Jan 20.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
How can you tell if a salesman is BS'ing? Their lips move.
snip...
Ah well. I probably wouldn't be able to make my mind up between the Niro and Ioniq without seeing and driving both so I would have to wait till both models are available. My worry is that we have a president-elect taking office in about 3 weeks that's vowing tariffs and trade wars. Can Hyundai/Kia not see how things are shaping up in this country? They had better have boatloads of these cars on the way and arriving before Jan 20.

I looked at the Niro, and took a dislike to it without test driving it, just didn't like the exterior and it seemed small from the outside, that combined with the aerodynamics of a brick compared to the Ioniq, and 17" wheels that really hurt the economy, which is the most important thing for me, let alone the need to add the safety pack and the £2000 additional cost made it a complete non starter for me

as to what a certain president elect is promising / likely to do re imports it would likely take several months to get through the system before they take effect.

I do feel for you guys as looking at it from the coverage we got in the UK you needed a "none of the above" box to veto both candidates as it seemed from what i saw it was a choice of the least worst candidate

·
Registered
260 Posts
I agree that the Niro is ugly. The Ioniq is much prettier inside and out. The Niro is 5" shorter and 3" taller than the Ioniq. It's tough to make interior volume comparisons because the specs aren't out for both in measuring methodologies that are compatible. The Niro has 6.3" ground clearance with less front and rear overhang which is a plus in snowy Idaho. The roof racks and easier entry and exit give it more utility. What really gives the Niro extra utility is the 1300kg (!) towing capability vs 0 for the Ioniq.

Lots to think about and weigh. I'll need to test drive each.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks bluecar1... Responses in line below...

welcome edawg

good to see we now have several US dealers giving the same estimates for receiving the Ioniq

you say south east, can you give us the state? Georgia (Atlanta area)

which are you looking at the EV or hybrid? (hybrid or PHEV)

were you given any estimates on price of each model? Nope. Was obvious the sales team hadn't been trained on the car yet as they didn't know the trim packages or basic details that us "enthusiasts" already know. :D

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
I agree that the Niro is ugly. The Ioniq is much prettier inside and out. The Niro is 5" shorter and 3" taller than the Ioniq. It's tough to make interior volume comparisons because the specs aren't out for both in measuring methodologies that are compatible. The Niro has 6.3" ground clearance with less front and rear overhang which is a plus in snowy Idaho. The roof racks and easier entry and exit give it more utility. What really gives the Niro extra utility is the 1300kg (!) towing capability vs 0 for the Ioniq.

Lots to think about and weigh. I'll need to test drive each.

in the UK the Niro has NO towing capacity on any of the models, strange it can tow in the US but not in the UK?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Odds are it might have to do with regulation and what's required for safety and what ever else would impact a decision like that.
I bet if someone here were to look into then that might prove to be true.

·
Registered
344 Posts
If they're structurally the same, same driveline, suspension, etc. I can't see why not other than it being safety standards. Every region has different standards to follow by so that's really the only thing that makes sense.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
it can get event worse in country

I used to have a 2012 skoda fabia greenline II estate, this was exactly the same structurally the same as every other fabia estate which were rated for towing, but the GLII was not rated for towing, it was the only fabia you couldn't specify a spare wheel as these didn't fit with its eco image, yet they fitted it as standard with drag inducing roof rails as standard

go figure

·
Registered
3 Posts
In Colorado here, and really hoping the early Feb. timeframe is accurate. I'm eager to switch over from an ICE vehicle and I think the Ioniq is improved enough over the LEAF to convince me to make the jump to EV before the Model 3 arrives.

·
Registered
260 Posts
in the UK the Niro has NO towing capacity on any of the models, strange it can tow in the US but not in the UK?
Google "towing capacity for kia niro" and get dozens of hits, mostly from European and UK websites, that discuss towing capacity for Kia Niro as 1300kg for a braked trailer. This is with the optional towing kit that includes a tow bar.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
UK brochure (http://www.kia.com/content/dam/kwcm...new-niro/specification/Niro_specification.pdf pages 4-5) list 0kg for braked, unbraked and towball weight, so UK Niro is not rated for towing

confirmed here Kia NIRO 1.6 GDi Hybrid 3 5dr DCT estate Online Internet Deal weights and capacity list N for braked and unbraked

no option for tow bar listed in options or accessories

but several towbar manufacturers list it with a braked weight of 1400kg

only way to be certain is see the sticker on the door pillar with the kerb, gross train weight etc. and see if its rated for towing

if not rated for towing and a towbaris fitted it can invalidate your insurance

1 - 18 of 18 Posts