Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Been following this forum for quite some time. Finally decided to join to feed my curiosity... some of you have been very creative in sharing your experiences and in extracting information from the internet. I'm about ready to purchase a new car this year (USA), but mostly been waiting on Ioniq. For me, the main attractive features involve technology and gas mileage. I agree with everyone else in general that Hyundai's marketing department just plain old sucks.

Regardless, while waiting on the Ioniq, I have been visiting the Hyundai website regularly. Out of nowhere, I noticed the 2017 Sonanta hybrid on their website a couple of days ago. I feel pricing will be similar, technology specs are very much the same. Feel Sonata is more luxurious with the panoramic roof, lower cabin noise, and classier interior/seats. I take a hit on the gas mileage, but still better than what I have now. I didn't want the 2016 Sonata hybrid because it was lacking in technology, but feel the 2017 Sonata has all the bells and whistles.

Can some of you share your thoughts on 2017 Sonata hybrid as an alternative to the Ioniq?

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
can you give us a link to the sonata spec etc. as we don't have that model in the UK

and the Ioniq will be the first hybrid from Hyundai in the UK (we have the IX35 / Tuscon fuel cell only)

Hyundai have announced they will have 20+ models with hybrid / EV powertrains by 2020 so you may be getting some before Europe do

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
can you give us a link to the sonata spec etc. as we don't have that model in the UK

and the Ioniq will be the first hybrid from Hyundai in the UK (we have the IX35 / Tuscon fuel cell only)

Hyundai have announced they will have 20+ models with hybrid / EV powertrains by 2020 so you may be getting some before Europe do
Here you go: m (dot) hyundaiusa (dot) com/vehicles/2017/sonata-hybrid/limited/specifications.html

The forum won't let me post links since I'm nee, but replace the (dot) with actual .

·
Registered
359 Posts
This is one of those times I would even suggest buying used since right away you can save money which is much more rewarding then waiting years before you finally break even and seen the benefit. Great for those short term owners.

·
Registered
260 Posts
The 2016 hybrid Sonata was a major re-design year. I'm not sure what the differences are between 2016 and 2017, but they must be minor compared to changes between 2015 and 2016 model years. My sister has the 2016 hybrid Sonata and I've driven it many times. It's a sweet car. She gets in the low 50s mpg and that's both in town and on the road, so the fuel economy is outstanding for such a huge car. It weighs a whopping 3500 lbs and that's my main criticism of it. It's a big boat of a car and it drives like a big boat. It you like the road feel of a big domestic full-size sedan you'll feel right at home in the Sonata hybrid. I prefer small, lightweight cars. There's enough room for several big gorillas inside. I'm 6 ft. 3" and have no trouble fitting in the front or back.

Build quality is excellent. The fit and finish are flawless. There are two versions in the US, the SE and LTD--the SE being the "stripper" which is what my sister has. Even that model is loaded with all kinds of stuff. I'm pretty sure the Sonata hybrid and Ioniq drivetrains are similar with the exception of the DCT for the Ioniq vs conventional automatic for Sonata hybrid. ICE cut-in and cut-out is completely seamless. I need the gauges to tell whether or not the engine is running.

I test drove the Sonata hybrid's competition also--the Toyota Camry hybrid and Honda Accord hybrid. My favorite of the three was the Accord hybrid. It was the prettiest and had the best road feel, superior handling, superior brake feel. Curse the blasted legroom in the front though. The first thing I tried to do was move the seat back and it was all the way back! There's just no excuse for lack of room in such a big car. Also, it was most expensive of the three by far. Honda had production problems with the Accord hybrid and the price was sky high. The Camry hybrid was OK. It had the best instrumentation of the three but nothing else stood out for me. The Sonata hybrid was roomiest and I liked the transmission best. Didn't like the weird hybrid brake feel and the handling and road feel wasn't nearly as polished as the Accord. The Sonata hybrid was much less expensive than the other two.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The 2016 hybrid Sonata was a major re-design year. I'm not sure what the differences are between 2016 and 2017, but they must be minor compared to changes between 2015 and 2016 model years. My sister has the 2016 hybrid Sonata and I've driven it many times. It's a sweet car. She gets in the low 50s mpg and that's both in town and on the road, so the fuel economy is outstanding for such a huge car. It weighs a whopping 3500 lbs and that's my main criticism of it. It's a big boat of a car and it drives like a big boat. It you like the road feel of a big domestic full-size sedan you'll feel right at home in the Sonata hybrid. I prefer small, lightweight cars. There's enough room for several big gorillas inside. I'm 6 ft. 3" and have no trouble fitting in the front or back.

Build quality is excellent. The fit and finish are flawless. There are two versions in the US, the SE and LTD--the SE being the "stripper" which is what my sister has. Even that model is loaded with all kinds of stuff. I'm pretty sure the Sonata hybrid and Ioniq drivetrains are similar with the exception of the DCT for the Ioniq vs conventional automatic for Sonata hybrid. ICE cut-in and cut-out is completely seamless. I need the gauges to tell whether or not the engine is running.

I test drove the Sonata hybrid's competition also--the Toyota Camry hybrid and Honda Accord hybrid. My favorite of the three was the Accord hybrid. It was the prettiest and had the best road feel, superior handling, superior brake feel. Curse the blasted legroom in the front though. The first thing I tried to do was move the seat back and it was all the way back! There's just no excuse for lack of room in such a big car. Also, it was most expensive of the three by far. Honda had production problems with the Accord hybrid and the price was sky high. The Camry hybrid was OK. It had the best instrumentation of the three but nothing else stood out for me. The Sonata hybrid was roomiest and I liked the transmission best. Didn't like the weird hybrid brake feel and the handling and road feel wasn't nearly as polished as the Accord. The Sonata hybrid was much less expensive than the other two.
Thanks for the great review, Jay. From what I know, I passed the 2016 version because it was lacking on the technology front. The 2017 is a refinement, but now has all the tech as the Ioniq... Things like LKA and what not.

Also, my major issue with the Accord is its inability to fold down rear seats. I'm still contemplating this feature... The Ioniq being a hatchback will more easily fit big IKEA items, but if Sonata's boot is wide enough, then I'm sold on the 2017 version. I'm in CA bay area and the roads being rougher, may mean the Ioniq will be much noiser. Plus I don't know how long I need to wait!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am cross shopping the PLUG IN Ioniq, the Plugin Sonata 2016-2017 and the Kia Optima Plug-in. Does anyone have any additional thoughts or recommendations since some time has passed. Thanks in advance!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts