Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq Electric - Phantom Black
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard of recalls outside of Korea yet? My ioniq was manufactured on November 11, 2019 so is within the window of containing faulty LG batteries but I have not received any notice to limit charge level to 90% from Hyundai Canada (kind of disappointing that they are willing to use us as test subjects)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is the official NHTSA recall notice for US Ioniq's. It implies that all Ioniqs Manufactured between November 8-11, 2019 have defect.

"2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric vehicles produced from November 8, 2019 through November 11, 2019 by Hyundai Motor Company (“HMC”) in South Korea for sale in the U.S. market."

"The subject vehicles are equipped with battery cells manufactured in the LG Energy Solutions China (Nanjing) plant in which the Anode (Negative) tab can be folded. A folded Anode tab in the battery cell could allow the Lithium plating on the Anode tab to contact the Cathode resulting in an electrical short."

Attachments

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
281 Posts
Can't be that many vehicles affected if it's only cars produced in a 4 day period of 8th - 11th November, that doesn't sound right!

Reactions: KevinT

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
281 Posts
Out of interest, if the car did burst into flames (due to the battery pack), would it be the car insurance or Hyundai that cover it?
I'm assuming Hyundai, as you could take them the wrecked shell of a car and say, "fix this please"?!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Out of interest, if the car did burst into flames (due to the battery pack), would it be the car insurance or Hyundai that cover it?
I'm assuming Hyundai, as you could take them the wrecked shell of a car and say, "fix this please"?!
I believe that as soon as the problem was acknowledged by Hyundai then the liability shifted to them - that's why they issue warnings like don't park in garage or charge over 90%. In Canada, I've only heard of Kona owners getting the warning. Was just surprised that the US issued the recall and mine fell on the exact date - worried that I might have one of the unlucky Ioniqs.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kWh Premium
30 Posts
I believe that as soon as the problem was acknowledged by Hyundai then the liability shifted to them - that's why they issue warnings like don't park in garage or charge over 90%. In Canada, I've only heard of Kona owners getting the warning. Was just surprised that the US issued the recall and mine fell on the exact date - worried that I might have one of the unlucky Ioniqs.
I've heard about not charging to full but I've never heard of anyone being warned not to park in the garage. Have Hyundai ever said that?

·
Registered
Red 2019 Ioniq 38 Premium EV
173 Posts
I'm not entirely convinced that very short Nov 8 to Nov 11 is correct! But they seem very sure of the quantities, 2 Ioniqs but 4694 Konas. Maybe the demand for he Konas was so great that just about all the batteries available were going into those rather than Ioniqs? Maybe it's correct, but specificallu applies to USA only.

This post says May 2 2019 - Nov 30 2019, which I find much more believable. But this sounds "global" to me!
Ioniq battery recall in 2021
Was May when they started building the Ionic 38? Mine's registered in UK in Sept 2019, and the VIN/Chassis/Frame No. in my V5 has "JUL" in the middle of it - maybe built in July?

So I'm inclined to take the "global" May 2 to Nov 30 as the largest possible range of dates, until someone reveals country-specific numbers as NHTSA has presumably demanded from Hyundai.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Regarding the VIN; my 38KWh has JUL in the middle of it, but I am certain it was not built in July. More like Nov/Dec, arriving in the UK March 2020 (just at the start of lockdown, so not delivered until Jun 2020).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've heard about not charging to full but I've never heard of anyone being warned not to park in the garage. Have Hyundai ever said that?
Just heard back from transport Canada (our NHTSA) :

“there is a Canadian version of this recall and its reference number is 2021-109.

The build dates you mention cover a wide range of vehicles, but not all vehicles will have the specific battery cells of concern. So, given Hyundai’s response and that we have no awareness of incidents outside the recall scope, I think you should be safe to continue normal use with your vehicle.”

recall link is here:

And the recall does state to not park in garage if your car is affected:

“Hyundai recommends that you should park your vehicle outdoors, and away from other vehicles or buildings until this step is completed. The second step of this recall will be to replace the high-voltage battery. Hyundai will notify you when a replacement battery is available for your vehicle.

·
Registered
162 Posts
The build dates you mention cover a wide range of vehicles, but not all vehicles will have the specific battery cells of concern.
I think this the key statement to clear the mystery of conflicting dates/countries.
The Nanjing plant is probably not the only LG Chem plant building these batteries (NCM622 cells) and Hyundai has to sort out (or screen) the Nanjing batteries and find out to where the affected vehicle went which could be different dates to different countries.

·
Registered
Red 2019 Ioniq 38 Premium EV
173 Posts
Precisely. But it would surely make sense for H to draw up a spreadsheet/doc of some kind and list the VINs, or have a website where you can enter your VIN & see where the battery came from & whether affected or not. Then all the dealers could easily check out their customers etc. And maybe the dealers could tick a box when they've spoken to their customers?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts