Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wrote Hyundai Motor America to ask if they had any specific date for the Ioniq reveal. The auto press has been saying January but no specific date in Jan. To my surprise, I got a quick reply but not the answer I was looking for. They directed me to the Hyundai Global website with this disconcerting statement: "Unfortunately we are unable to offer any assistance with this vehicle as the Ioniq is not produced for sale or operation in the United States." Is my assumption that this car will be for sale in the US wrong then? Can anyone confirm?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Thank you Jay, I was preparing to post the same source that you cited. I am satisfied that the initial information was in error ..... maybe a translation problem? LOL

BTW, there is a good discussion of the technical aspects (as thus far known) of the Ioniq on the Prius Forum.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I wrote Hyundai Motor America to ask if they had any specific date for the Ioniq reveal. The auto press has been saying January but no specific date in Jan. To my surprise, I got a quick reply but not the answer I was looking for. They directed me to the Hyundai Global website with this disconcerting statement: "Unfortunately we are unable to offer any assistance with this vehicle as the Ioniq is not produced for sale or operation in the United States." Is my assumption that this car will be for sale in the US wrong then? Can anyone confirm?
My guess is you received a response from a random customer support advisor who does not have knowledge on Hyundai future products. I would not read much into that response.

·
Registered
87 Posts
It's also possible that it will first come out in Korea and then be rolled out to North America after. So that might be what it is classified as right now -- "not produced for sale or operation in the Unites States."

·
Registered
323 Posts
I wouldn't be all too surprised since that's typically the case with vehicles launching in their home market. But this time around is special since we have North America that's one of the biggest most competitive markets.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Won't be surprised with a california launch. they seem to be very gung ho recenty with the clean car movement.

·
Registered
323 Posts
That part of the country is indeed the hub for vehicles like this but I have a feeling we might be seeing more than that, they could be spreading their focus to other green car markets as well since now things have ramped up quite a bit.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Southern parts of the U.S. like that seem to have a growing interest in the tech.
But along with that, with the way things are going, it only makes sense that highly populated states and cities get them, like New York. Maybe not years are but things have come a long way now.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In the Los Angeles area, the Prius is a perennial best seller because of the heavy traffic. Heavy stop and go traffic is where hybrids really excel because an ICE will just waste gobs of gas idling and going nowhere (or going somewhere very very slowly). Even drivers that don't care a rat's ass about pollution still buy a Prius because it's such a practical car to get out of downtown LA at quitting time.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Finally a REAL WORLD number since that's what really matters to us, coming in at 105 is not too bad which for most buyers will exceed what they need on the daily.

Starting to think down the road they might offer batteries that extend the range.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Starting to think down the road they might offer batteries that extend the range.
I would hope so. We all have our own reasons and needs. Unfortunately, 105 miles is just a little too short for mine. On this site, some were talking about a range of 200 miles. I was hopeful. A lower number would work for me, but not 105.

·
Registered
176 Posts
PS to the above post:

The new 30 kWh Leaf was revealed at the GSM Mobile World Congress in Barcelona.

Following an online debut last week, the improved Leaf promises a 26 percent increase in driving range, up to 250km (155miles) on a single charge, thanks to the new 30 kWh battery.

In addition to the updated battery, which can be joined by a specially engineered Nordic Pack, a battery heater for customers having to drive in extremely low temperatures, the manufacturer mentioned its NissanConnect EV telematics system, which allows users to control many of the car's features at the touch of a button."

Base on the above, my feeling is Hyundai needs to re-think it's EV range. Just my opinion.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts