Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i enter the vehicle - key is not detected - it asks me to start car by pushing start button with key - then it starts, after system check i get check brakes fault - it sounds like brakes are locked or something similar...
I recorded it here ->

Anyone knows how to reset car cpu(plug off + on 12 battery for few seconds) or something like that?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
1,798 Posts
This might point at a weak 12V battery.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How can it be with 1,5k km on it? ... it turned on now so i hope it will turn on in morning to go to garage to check it out...

·
Registered
776 Posts
Perhaps key fob battery is low as key is not recognized?
Push your key fob against the start button, press the brake and push startbutton. If your TFT display is flickering the 12V battery is drained. A short charge is sufficient to start the car. Suc6.

·
Super Moderator
1,798 Posts
How can it be with 1,5k km on it?
You don't know what happens between leaving the factory and the moment that you get it. Probably many weeks without being used. Using the car maintains the 12V battery, not using does not.

Reactions: Peter

·
Registered
776 Posts
When the ECM gets insufficient power from the 12V battery all perifical systems go complete bananas. Key not recognized, brakes, sensors, etc.etc. I see on your video that the rightsize HEV battery charging gauge has a number of red low level indicators. That could indicate ECM power is too low.
I encountered the same phenomenon picking up my hybrid on delivery. Some mechanic had been working on the satnav update for more than 1 hour. Next morning my electric system was dead. Recipe was very simple. 5 minutes on a 5 Amp charger and everything went normal. Car started promptly and no problems occurred so far.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I managed to talk to sales man (so at least thats a +) . He said the same thing after talking to service guy... Probably low 12v battery. I'll go to garage tommorow so they can run diagnostic and replace battery if needed...
I went to car now and it started! So i drove for 15 minutes to get some juice to 12v batt so i can drive to service tommorow... (i turned everything off that i dont need to drive includin lights... its local road no traffic...)

I'll check back when i get results...

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
776 Posts
Ok, no thanks. Probably you resolved the problem yourself already. Perhaps Hyundai could have made the error handling somewhat more comprehensible. Instead of a random number of errors 1 overruler when the aux batt is low.>> Charge your battery!
These types of defaults scare the living daylights of every driver not familiar with the Ioniq, myself included but of course I had the guilty mechanic next to me

·
Super Moderator
1,798 Posts
I went to car now and it started! So i drove for 15 minutes to get some juice to 12v batt so i can drive to service tommorow... (i turned everything off that i dont need to drive includin lights... its local road no traffic...)
You do not really need to drive for this. The important thing is that the the car is fully on. That connects the traction battery, which then automatically charges the 12V battery. If you only have "accessories" on, then you are in danger, as that feeds the car's electric system from the 12V battery while the traction battery is disconnected and cannot charge the 12V battery. And the 12V batteries of hybrids and EV's are usually kept small as they do not need to provide power for starting an ICE.

Sometimes technicians are not aware of this and work on the car for a longer time without having the car fully on, thereby spoiling the 12V battery. For the same reason, when standing still for some time, waiting and listening to the radio, better have the car fully on; you also get a warning for that if you don't.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@Jan Treur
if i listen to music lets say while cleaning car - i always have it turned fully on (i turn lights off offcourse and ventilation too) exactly because it warns me that battery will get discharged. I did that 2 times in my 3 weeks of ownership - had it fully turned on.
I get diagnostic tommorow so we will see what they figure out - the guy said it's a potentially faulty 12v battery and they will change it.

·
Super Moderator
1,798 Posts
I don't think the problem is in your cleaning parties, but something at the dealership...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Car had extensive 2 hours of testing in garage... the error was saved but they couldn't find the cause... fisicaly everything was fine. They checked every connection on 12v battery and what makes it charge and it was fine. Battery was fully charged and in good condition - if i wanted them they would change it but as i said that was not the problem.
So actually we didn't fix anything we are just waiting if the problem happens again and was asked not to touch anything in that case just call assistance so they get it in "broken" status...
At least i got a good coffie and red all magasines there :)

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Yeah, on my first trip after collecting the car I got a warning over the ABS system and the car went into safe mode or something. I pulled over, switched it off and on again and it hasn't happened since in 14,000 miles. Nothing else either.

The cars spend 4 weeks on the water, get driven on and off the carrier and then get a standard pre-delivery inspection from the dealer, you do get glitches as the electronics get more and more sophisticated. But what you had sure sounds like a classic battery glitch.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think the problem was in settings -> other features -> Aux. battery saver+ this setting should be checked its factory setting by def. on and i don't know how i managed to uncheck it or somebody else did in garage before i got it. Since i turned this back on i had no problem but to be honest i didn't test if same problem happens with setting off and i'm not going to try :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
After not using my car for 2 days, I started the car and it had a message saying battery saving mode was activated or something like that. I think the 12v battery was automatically charged using the EV baterry...thoughts?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Aux. battery saver+ does exactly that... i think it had 72 hour interval or something like that - its written in manual.

·
Registered
2017 Hyundai IONIQ Electric Premium
791 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts