Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked but don't see this discussed, please point out the link if there is another thread

I want to find out if the EV makes any noise or sound when driving in low speed to warn pedestrian when the car is approaching as the EV is silence. What type of sound is it? When does the sound stop?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Here's a YouTube video that I found a while back:

Some have described the sound that activates when under 25 km/h as almost like a spaceship sound.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Can that be turned off though? I very much like and prefer the smoothness of the silence! I think pedestrians and cyclists (often with headphones anyway!) should just use their eyes better. Of course, you always have to approach cyclists, pedestrians, AND animals you pass with great care, as if they were an easily spooked horse. That's what we do with our IMiev anyway. Over time, people will know they cannot just rely on their hearing anymore to know wether or not a car is coming. And animals will adapt too. If you're really concerned the cyclist in front of you may be in danger when you pass him, just open your window and turn your radio on very loudly :)

@TKGDee had a thread about the silence earlier btw: http://www.ioniqforum.com/forum/305...kes/6233-silent-electric-motors-wildlife.html

And here's somebody else who's not thrilled about that almost-broken-down-washingmachine-sound http://www.ioniqforum.com/forum/50609-post14.html , @Johtokunta

·
Registered
725 Posts
Can that be turned off though? I very much like and prefer the smoothness of the silence! I think pedestrians and cyclists (often with headphones anyway!) should just use their eyes better. Of course, you always have to approach cyclists, pedestrians, AND animals you pass with great care, as if they were an easily spooked horse. That's what we do with our IMiev anyway. Over time, people will know they cannot just rely on their hearing anymore to know wether or not a car is coming. And animals will adapt too. If you're really concerned the cyclist in front of you may be in danger when you pass him, just open your window and turn your radio on very loudly :)

@TKGDee had a thread about the silence earlier btw: http://www.ioniqforum.com/forum/305...kes/6233-silent-electric-motors-wildlife.html

And here's somebody else who's not thrilled about that almost-broken-down-washingmachine-sound http://www.ioniqforum.com/forum/50609-post14.html , @Johtokunta
And blind or partially sighted people???????

·
Super Moderator
1,795 Posts
Can that be turned off though?
You can put it off by pressing the button with VESS on it. (VESS = Virtual Engine Sound System). The button is between the steering wheel and your side window.

·
Registered
162 Posts
It might not be possible for us in the US (or even Canada?) to turn the sound off. I think it is legally required?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Is it just one speaker under the hood that is making this noise? Seems like you could just cut the wire eliminating the speaker all together.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Is it just one speaker under the hood that is making this noise? Seems like you could just cut the wire eliminating the speaker all together.
I've seen step-by-step instructions on how to do this for my eGolf. Required putting in resistors to prevent the car's electronics from detecting the speaker was disconnected. More work than it seemed worth...

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've seen step-by-step instructions on how to do this for my eGolf. Required putting in resistors to prevent the car's electronics from detecting the speaker was disconnected. More work than it seemed worth...
It figures that they would have some system monitoring this. I agree with one of the other posters here.This VESS is not necessary. In time, people will adapt to these EV cars since eventually there will be more of them in the future and one day they will out number ICE's.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Lol!! Love it. "Can I just turn it off?" F*ck the pedestrians and cyclists. Lol! I like it.
I would only feel bad for animals though.. they don't understand poor things. I have had to seriously adapt how I drive in my village and in countryside.. birds, being the most common on the road, just don't hear me at all :( still haven't had a reply from anyone about the 'wildlife whistles'... luckily I haven't had any more near misses..

·
Registered
105 Posts
It might not be possible for us in the US (or even Canada?) to turn the sound off. I think it is legally required?
Looks like the US, Japan and the EU have made it a legal requirement, but a legal requirement for the car manufacturers to include a sound. I don't see any mention anywhere of it being illegal of turning it off. That said, there is some controversy on whether or not an owner should be able to turn off the sound. There could be laws in the future that require drivers to leave the sound off.

From the Wikipedia entry:
A 2009 study conducted by the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration found that crashes involving pedestrians and bicyclists have higher incidence rates for hybrid electric vehicles than internal combustion engine (ICE) vehicles in low-speed vehicle maneuvers such as reversing or leaving a parking zone. These accidents commonly occurred in zones with low speed limits, during daytime and in clear weather. The study found that a HEV was two times more likely to be involved in a pedestrian crash than was a conventional ICE vehicle when a vehicle is slowing or stopping, backing up, or entering or leaving a parking space
Also the study found that the incidence rate of pedestrian crashes in scenarios when vehicles make a turn was significantly higher for HEVs when compared to ICE vehicles. Similarly, The NHTSA study also concluded that the incidence rate of bicyclist crashes involving HEVs for the same kind of maneuvers was significantly higher when compared to conventional vehicles.
When I took the Ioniq electric for a test drive, I noticed how quiet it was and didn't notice the low speed sound at all.

·
Super Moderator
1,795 Posts
You have to do your very best to hear it. I wanted to show it to a friend, but I had to turn it on and off for at least 4 times before she finally heard it.

·
Registered
254 Posts
If you want to turn the VESS off, you need to do it everytime you switch the car on. It cannot be permanently switched off.

I personally live in a place with many (small) kids. I wouldn't be happy (understatement) to be in a situation in which I hit a kid without having done everything to prevent it. So I leave the VESS on. I can't hear it inside the car anyway.

·
Super Moderator
1,795 Posts
The same for me.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Well either I can't hear it in my EV or mine's does not work as I have never pressed the VESS but don't hear anything while edging around in car parks etc. I do hear an inoffensive beeping when I go into reverse but thats about it.... so now I am wary that if I press the VESS button to try it the car will suddenly know it is meant to make a sound and start bugging me from then on :)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts