Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a test drive on Saturday and I was impressed. I tried adaptive cruise control, LKAS, parking senses/reversing camera, regeneration paddles, media system (Spotify), maps, and some highway overtaking. Not so impressed was my wife, especially with the price tag. She was in the passenger seat and didn't drive the car.
In New Zealand, there is no subsidy for hybrid or electric vehicles, so the price of the elite is $66k and the standard model is $60k. The dealership sales staff still have to have their training, later this month. The sales person told me the car can do 0-100km/h in under 5 seconds and I told him that was not the case, but he was really sure blah blah blah :) I told him it was around 10 seconds and he said that's because you didn't put your foot down hard enough. Once he has been educated, he will no doubt change his thoughts.
I didn't try out the AEB or the airbags, didn't have the balls to do that! I have been wanting this car since September, but I need to somehow get one more (unlikely) approval before I buy.

·
Registered
Ioniq EV SE 2017 (UK spec)
972 Posts
Getting any expense, other than a fashion dress, accessories or makeup past SWMBO is always difficult. My approach was pointing out the money that would be saved on running costs with a BEV and how much of the aforementioned that could now be afforded while still leaving some change for me to get a beer or two. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
Getting any expense, other than a fashion dress, accessories or makeup past SWMBO is always difficult. My approach was pointing out the money that would be saved on running costs with a BEV and how much of the aforementioned that could now be afforded while still leaving some change for me to get a beer or two. Good luck!
this is where you own knowledge of your SWMBO comes into its own, always a problem when you need the home finance managers approval for a new toy, especially one as expensive as a new car

the running costs are a good start, but swmbo will need something for herself if similar to mine, just sit, listen and see if you can pick up any hints, just turn off the normal wife talking filter from your hearing that we all develop when we get married :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Free parking (and charging) near shopping malls. Admiring gazes of other swmbo 's?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SWMBO has a company car, so I can't even buy this for "her" and then use it myself sometimes. I have done plenty of research and prepared a all the merits of using an electric car, right down to not having to breath in butane fumes while refilling a petrol car at a petrol station as well as trading in her company car for a car allowance in order to buy an Ioniq.
I'm not giving up though, eventually I will be such a pain to be around she will just agree...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hyundai New Zealand has updated their website with more information about the Ioniq, brochure is coming soon, they're only stocking the EV at the moment no HEV yet or PHEV.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
SWMBO has a company car, so I can't even buy this for "her" and then use it myself sometimes. I have done plenty of research and prepared a all the merits of using an electric car, right down to not having to breath in butane fumes while refilling a petrol car at a petrol station as well as trading in her company car for a car allowance in order to buy an Ioniq.
I'm not giving up though, eventually I will be such a pain to be around she will just agree...
You're going to try a reasoned argument on SWMBO?

Good luck with that ! >:)

I normally just pay mine off...:p

Reactions: bluecar1

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
I used the lower fuel costs (leading to less tax) argument, bigger car so she could take more if we went on holiday etc with my home finance manager, then explained it would be a quieter life for her if I got the car and stopped talking about it :)

in the end I wore her down and got the agreement (only took a couple of weeks) :) :)

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I just paid for her a/c recharge... and then took her out to dinner.
And bought her a new SatNav...

And now she likes driving the Ioniq.

Go figure.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well her company car is a Hyundai Santa Fe, so I can't use the bigger argument. We just came back from a 4541 km road trip, which we do annually. It does make the argument a lot tougher because the Ioniq is going to struggle with that distance (numerous recharging) and the luggage capacity is going to be an issue as well. I am actually hoping more for the PHEV version though, the recharging will be a non-issue and her company car lease expires in 3 months (I have been hinting at the car allowance, which will enable her to buy a car rather than get given one).

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
yep, I use my car allowance to pay for my Ioniq Hybrid,

so the EV seems to be out of the question due to your annual road trip (unless you decide to just hire a car for that annual trip)

then it comes down to the normal journey profile and government incentives as to whether the hybrid or the plugin are the best ( assuming the plugin will be available at the time)

trick is to make her think it is her decision, that's the key

1 - 16 of 16 Posts