Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Ioniq EV 2019
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, I've been a happy owner of a 2019 Ioniq for exactly one year and my car has just developed a problem in the last couple weeks. In each case I've been driving over smooth road (my daily drive), typically not breaking, and the battery has been between 20-80%. What happens is a sudden change in regen level that does not show up on the dashboard as a change. I first noticed it as a sudden jolt to what felt like level 3 (high regen) while I was actually in level 0 and coasting. The whole aberration lasts under a couple seconds each time it has occurred and consists of irregular changes from high to low level regen (or completely off). In one case it happened when accelerating from a stop and after two seconds the car shut itself off and I coasted to the side of the road. It subsequently started up fine. When the behavior occurs, I see no change in the regen level indicator on the dash but a red light flicks on and off quickly (happens too fast to see which one it is). My question is, has any one else experienced something like this and does anyone have a good enough idea about the regen mechanism to know what may be causing it? My uneducated guess is that it must be electrical, control system or software error.

A little backstory in case someone asks... This started happening in the last week of Aug and I took it to my local dealer where I bought my car. They said it hadn't tripped any errors that they could see but there was a TSB (#19-01-036H) for the water pump which they said was leaking. They claimed this was the cause and they replaced it. I had two weeks of very light driving with no episodes until yesterday. I drove it today for 10 miles without issue and my dealer says there is not much they can do unless they can reproduce it driving. My worry is, if they have no way to independently check the electrical and software control system, how are they going to find the problem. Incidentally, I did open a case with Hyundai Customer Care and they said they would step in after two failed attempts by the dealer to fix. Sorry for the long post!

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq Electric
27 Posts
Is there any chance you’ve enabled the adaptive regen? I’ve left it off because I prefer to keep my regen at level 3, but I understand that according to Hyundai it will adjust the regen level according to conditions.

·
Registered
Ioniq EV 2019
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've never heard of that. Do you have a reference for that in the manual?

·
Registered
Ioniq EV 2019
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your reply. Very interesting, this is not in the 2019 manual, but I will see if this is available on my car tomorrow. Still seems strange that there would be any mode that operates so abruptly on a fairly flat road (not to mention shutting off the car).

·
IONIQ Electric, SE (w/ CCP) 2018.
748 Posts
Matt, what you're describing sounds annoying at best and downright dangerous at worst. You can't have the vehicle doing things it's not supposed to. If you have another dealer in the vicinity, I'd try them for a second opinion. Unfortunately in this semi-early adoption period, not all service centres are equal when it come to EVs.

·
Registered
Ioniq EV 2019
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Ou, I have another dealer in my area that sells quite a few EV's so I'm taking it there on Monday. The fact that this behavior has not been reported on this forum (or apparently to Hyundai) makes me believe this is very rare and may be hard to diagnose. I wonder if an OBD logger would be able to catch enough useful information to diagnose the cause? If nothing else, I'm going to try to record it on video which will at least show the state of the dash display as it occurs. I'll report back when I find more.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Not sure how useful it would be, but it would at least be interesting to know if the brake lights light up during these events. I mean this would tell if the car itself think it's decelerating.

·
Registered
Ioniq EV 2019
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Status update: I haven't had any more incidents the last few days but I'm now constantly video recording the dashboard with my phone in hopes of catching it. On Sat, the EV warning light came on when I started the car to come home from an errand and stayed on the whole time. Unfortunately, after taking the car to a new dealer this morning, they found no errors and nothing they could replicate in a test drive. Their only suggestion was that I leave it there for a few days and they will keep taking it out for drives. Since they do not cover a loaner/rental car if they can't find a problem, I decided to take it home to see what the Hyundai Customer Care would now say. After calling, they elevated my case to the national level and someone else is supposed to call in the next few days. My hope is that they can give me an OBD data logger and that there would be enough real time information to see where the issue is.

·
Registered
2019 Ioniq Executive EV 28kWh
14 Posts
Were you driving with the ACC engaged by any chance? It might be that the radar thinks there's traffic ahead and slowing you down. My car does this sometimes when I'm going through a 2 lane bend at which point I overtake a car on one lane which is turning off the road. It does this without any indications and seems to do it more when the car is dirty.
Maybe this helps?

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
On Sat, the EV warning light came on when I started the car to come home from an errand and stayed on the whole time. Unfortunately, after taking the car to a new dealer this morning, they found no errors and nothing they could replicate in a test drive.
No codes thrown by the error light means there is an error in the error light! Whenever I see an idiot light my first thought is the light is broken. I once drove on a trip for 400 miles with an alternator light on. Turns out the light was right. Eventually I didn't have enough battery power to turn the radio on without the engine dying. Was driving up the desolate Natchez Parkway around 1980, made it to Atlanta from south Louisiana and found out the alternator brushes needed replacing.

·
Registered
Ioniq EV 2019
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the thoughts folks.

SpongRob - By ACC, are you referring to the Smart Cruise Control? I have not actually used the cruise control at all, and other than testing I've never seen the cruise control light on. In fact, I'm not even sure if it has SCC as this is the base model Ioniq EV. That does bring up a couple related systems like the Forward Collision Avoidance, Lane Following Assist, etc. Under the "User Settings" menu there is no "Driver Assistance" sub-menu so I'm assuming I don't have those. I will follow up to make sure as it would be nice to rule out any action the control system is trying to take based on these sort of road detection systems. Out of curiosity, when your system goes off as you described it, can you tell what level of regen breaking it goes to? I would find that very disconcerting to have it randomly going to level 3 breaking while I'm driving and if there are that many errors in detection, it really seems like Hyundai should provide a way of deactivating the feature.

yticolev - I said the same thing to my representative. He was not surprised however that it did not record the error, but I'm anxious to talk to an engineer since to me that seems like a design error if it does not record every time an indicator goes off!

·
Registered
2019 Ioniq Executive EV 28kWh
14 Posts
I think that when mine does that it sometimes certainly slowes down quite hard like regen level 2, maybe even level 3.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
yticolev - I said the same thing to my representative. He was not surprised however that it did not record the error, but I'm anxious to talk to an engineer since to me that seems like a design error if it does not record every time an indicator goes off!
Yup. What's the point of all the sensors and warnings if they are unusable? Simply driver distraction and anxiety stimulus?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts