Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was wondering at what temperatures the battery is charged in wintertime. For example, is it just above the freezing point or much higher? The graphs below show it for some points during charging at a 50 kW rapid charger, for an outdoor temperature at the freezing point 0 °C. At the start of the charging the battery temperature was already between 10 and 15 °C because of the driving, but it still was increased in temperature to between 15 and 30 °C, which would not be very different from what you get in summertime. So, the Battery Conditioning System really works. A question remains what happens during normal or slow charging. Will the temperature even be increased more because of the longer duration? Or does the 'rapidness' of the charging contribute to the increase in temperature? These graphs are from this German forum, and the measurements make use of this and this.

Attachments

Reactions: DaveAZ

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hi Jan,

I am planning to use Torque to follow a.o. the battery temperature during charging. Just ordered the ODB2 adapter but it takes some weeks before it arrives. If I can make it working (I have no IT background ;)) I will report the results on this forum. Maybe someone else has already measured it? What about the German guys?

·
Super Moderator
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That would be nice. Hopefully there will still be some low temperatures at the end of this month. If your experiences are good, maybe I will also consider to order such an adapter.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The battery pack is cooled by electric fan. The user manual say that there is air intake under the back seat and do not block air flow, so i assume intake duckt is in passanger side of the cabin.

Attached picture shows the battery pack heater grill. It is electric. Also there can be seen grey cooling air intake duct in the front of battery pack and cooling air exhaust duct in the back of the battery.

No liquids involved on the heating nor cooling.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now the temperatures get higher here I am wondering when exactly the battery conditioning system will work under higher outdoor temperatures. Some things I was not able to find out; do others know:

• Is the battery conditioning system only working when the car is plugged in or driving, as may be concluded from the manual?
  • Or does it also work when the car is parked without being plugged in while the battery has enough charge?
  • At what temperatures does it start working?
  • So, when is it better to leave it plugged in?

Reactions: blownb310

·
Registered
124 Posts
At what temperatures does it start working?
A summary of the battery fan BMS data on the Soul EV we surmised last summer. The values for Fan Status, Fan Feedback and the temps at which they come on are
It would be great if someone could do the same for the Ioniq.
Code:
Status    Feedback [Hz]          Temp[C]
Level 0                0                  < 31
Level 1                 42                 31C - 33C   
Level 2                50                 33C - 36C 
Level 3                58                 36C - 39C
Level 4                67                 39C - 41C
Level 5                75                 41C - 43C
Level 6                85                 43C - 45C  
Level 7                88                 45C - ???
Level 8                95                 ?
Level 9                100                ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts