Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.

So my head unit got bricked due to a software update and I had 3rd party apps installed. I didn’t know I had to factory reset it before software update. Either way it’s not covered by the warranty.

Does anyone know or have a link where I can read about reflashing the headunit? Read somewhere that you can solder on the pcb and reflash the system and the Android is too.

Thanx

·
Registered
83 Posts
Sorry I can't help, but for people who can it would be helpful if you said exactly which version it is. I know that UK and US versions differ and there are at least two different units on different current models in the UK, with some older ones too.

·
Super Moderator
1,827 Posts
Maybe disconnect the fuse for the head unit ( if you can find it ) , leave it it about 30 minutes or so and reconnect the fuse ?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe disconnect the fuse for the head unit ( if you can find it ) , leave it it about 30 minutes or so and reconnect the fuse ?
I am not that familiar with car hardwares :p any idea how I can find it ? I can tell that I have had the car run out of 12 v battery and it had to be jump started. If that’s anything like a fuse reset?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok i found the instruction manual and the section about fuses,
found this;

FUSE: IG3 2 10A IPS Control Module, Main Battery Charging Switch, Charge Lamp, PTC Heater, A/V & Navigation Head Unit, Instrument Cluster, A/C Control Module, Audio

it wont damage anything if i found it and took it out and in?

·
Super Moderator
1,827 Posts
but in another note. they have ordered a new head unit for me, delivery in 2-3 weeks or something.
In which case I can see no harm in pulling the fuse for a little while . If it works you'll be OK until the new head unit is fitted . End of 2016 and beginning of 2017 Hyundai identified a fault with the head unit . They recalled mine and fitted a new one even though I'd had no trouble with it

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In which case I can see no harm in pulling the fuse for a little while . If it works you'll be OK until the new head unit is fitted . End of 2016 and beginning of 2017 Hyundai identified a fault with the head unit . They recalled mine and fitted a new one even though I'd had no trouble with it
Ok! Mine is from 2019 though.

However I will see if I can find the fuse ? Apparently there are 2 fuse boxes . One at the odb port and one bigger one in the next to the 12 v motor.

I will try and look at it tomorrow .

Cheers

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
tried, and no help.

gotta wait few weeks for a new one i guess. well didnt leave it for 30 mins though. just 5-8 mins.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Look, I'm working on software for the HU of another brand of cars. When we wanted to do a recovery of a bricked HU, no one involved with development knew what to do. The usual procedure was to take it back to the supplier of the HU (Harman).

Eventually, someone read too much and discovered that when two pins of a given D9 plug in another ECU were shunt, the HU would boot into an emergency recovery version of Linux and we could flash from there.

My point is that it is very hard for someone outside Hyundai or the supplier of the HU (maybe also Harman) to be able to help you. This is very complicated, it may involve many ECUs at once, not just the HU... Can you even discover the IP address of the other ECUs that work?

You really must take it to Hyundai, and it's a PITA for them too, because it's complex and tricky, and they can't simultaneously be experts on oiling your doors, and cleaning the AC ducts and flashing your HU.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Look, I'm working on software for the HU of another brand of cars. When we wanted to do a recovery of a bricked HU, no one involved with development knew what to do. The usual procedure was to take it back to the supplier of the HU (Harman).

Eventually, someone read too much and discovered that when two pins of a given D9 plug in another ECU were shunt, the HU would boot into an emergency recovery version of Linux and we could flash from there.

My point is that it is very hard for someone outside Hyundai or the supplier of the HU (maybe also Harman) to be able to help you. This is very complicated, it may involve many ECUs at once, not just the HU... Can you even discover the IP address of the other ECUs that work?

You really must take it to Hyundai, and it's a PITA for them too, because it's complex and tricky, and they can't simultaneously be experts on oiling your doors, and cleaning the AC ducts and flashing your HU.
thanx for the reply my dude.

and yes hyundai will replce it with a new one, and its gonna cost me around 300 euros. i accept it.
just thought maybe there were some way to reflash it. someone wrote on a comment on youtube regarding bricked HU, that a russian guy was able to solder on the pcb board and reflash the system and androoid system too. so yea too much of a hassle. few more weeks and hopefully a new HU will be delivered to me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i FREAKING FIXED YOU GUYS!!!
Sorry i had to create a new account, i just couldnt remember which email i used for my SonicSpinner account.
anyways! i saw a post on reddit on some dude writing that you can connect a usb keyboard to the car and press ALT + PRINt + E, it will then bring your a failed update message screen. then diong CTRL + ALT + DEL few times, brings your erro messages and at the end an option to revert the update back to its original fw!
i have all my 3rd party apps and eveything in tacts. all working! even hyundai dealer didnt know S*** about this.,
OMG ii am so pumped. 2 months without a head unit! no music no nothing, finally back!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Wow you were lucky there! Well done for your perseverance. Maybe start a new thread titled "What to do if you brick your head unit" with step by step instructions of how to fix it.

Really pleased for you. It's an expensive brick on wheels otherwise. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanx buddy! perhaps i will create a new thread for that. Thing is, that its kinda difficult to do a detailed step by step, since you cant properly see the screen. but its possible for sure.
uff i am so pumped. even connected my jailbroken iphone and unlocked the carplay to the fullest. no restriction, all nativ apps showing on the infotainment etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i FREAKING FIXED YOU GUYS!!!
Sorry i had to create a new account, i just couldnt remember which email i used for my SonicSpinner account.
anyways! i saw a post on reddit on some dude writing that you can connect a usb keyboard to the car and press ALT + PRINt + E, it will then bring your a failed update message screen. then diong CTRL + ALT + DEL few times, brings your erro messages and at the end an option to revert the update back to its original fw!
i have all my 3rd party apps and eveything in tacts. all working! even hyundai dealer didnt know S*** about this.,
OMG ii am so pumped. 2 months without a head unit! no music no nothing, finally back!
I can't believe this, this is so exciting man Thanks for showing this. I knew there had to be a safe way to go back but was hidden. Good job!!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I can't believe this, this is so exciting man Thanks for showing this. I knew there had to be a safe way to go back but was hidden. Good job!!!
everything is hidden in this car. lol. in the 2 months of HU abscene, i have prepared my iphone with jailbreak and installed the carbridge tweak. it unlocks the full carplay. no restriction, no limitation. you can add any app from your phone directly to your HU. when i connect my phone now to the HU with the usb cord, my HU shows me, movie apps, msuic streaming, full safari browser, full maps, google maps, sygic maps. full youtube, full imessage. etc. So the builtin hidden menu for apk installation is kinda useless now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
everything is hidden in this car. lol. in the 2 months of HU abscene, i have prepared my iphone with jailbreak and installed the carbridge tweak. it unlocks the full carplay. no restriction, no limitation. you can add any app from your phone directly to your HU. when i connect my phone now to the HU with the usb cord, my HU shows me, movie apps, msuic streaming, full safari browser, full maps, google maps, sygic maps. full youtube, full imessage. etc. So the builtin hidden menu for apk installation is kinda useless now.
I want more is a ves to the canbus of the car through the HU. It knows when the car is in reverse and so on. So it must now a lot other things. That's the fun part. Also, I have Android tho :(

1 - 20 of 28 Posts