Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
  • US ICCU Recall (aka 12V battery failure issue). Please use the following thread, this pertains to all eGMP models. Please do not create duplicate threads on this topic. Thread

IONIQ Electric Becomes U.S.’ Most Fuel-Efficient Vehicle

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  ChargedUp 
#1 ·
Hyundai IONIQ Electric Becomes U.S.' Most Fuel-Efficient Vehicle - Knocks BMW i3 Out Of Top Spot

Hyundai released some of the specifications for its upcoming IONIQ Electric, complete with EPA fuel economy ratings showing a 125 MPGe combined efficiency rating.
Previously, the Korean company estimated EPA the range at 110 miles (177 km) on a 28 kWh battery.
And while we know that MPGe isn’t exactly the most loved indicator of plug-in performance in the EV community, it is directly related to the amount of energy (including charging) needed for driving.
125 MPGe translates to some 16.8 kWh per 100 km (62 miles).
The big news for Hyundai is that the IONIQ Electric is now the most energy efficient car, as the “old” BMW i3 (24 kWh) was rated at 124 MPGe – which interestingly is actually 6 more than the new i3 all-electric (33 kWh).

#6 ·
What's funny is as ugly as the Prius looks it will still dominate and stand out because it stands out from the rest visually and that should play out well on paper with the numbers they produce which should be surprising since if your producing a type of product for over a decade by now...you had time to perfect.

#4 ·
Interesting ... but meaningless to me. Sadly, I have grown to doubt most of what government, advertisers and manufacturers tell me. What will really be important to me, is how the one in my possession performs, and what efficiency I obtain. But, it is an indicator.

I overwhelmingly agree, however, pictures I have seen of the Ioniq and the Prius ..... the Ioniq is a resounding winner.

Let's see what they look like when they finally appear in the showroom locally, what performance experience we have, and how willing a dealer is to sell the vehicle.

#5 ·
i was looking for how MPGe was calculated

I found the link below which explains it quite simply

What MPGe Is ? And How To Figure Plug-in Energy Costs

seems logical, but would the other common measure be easier (KW per 100km)

cost per mile or cost per 100km to me are no good, due to constantly changing cost per unit of electricity

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.