Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think Hyundai Ioniq deserved the prestigious red dot design award for outstanding design in the coveted Vehicle category.

I personally love the Ioniq design both on the exterior and interior. I gotta admit one of the best looking eco-friendly car out there.

They offer different options too:

Quote:

"Officially launched at the Geneva Motor Show in March and due to be released in selected international markets during 2016, the IONIQ takes a new approach to green motoring. Rather than commit to a single combination of energy source and drivetrain, the groundbreaking Hyundai offers three different powertrain options within a shared vehicle architecture. These include parallel petrol-electric hybrid, where both engines work together to move the car; plug-in petrol electric hybrid, which offers a limited range using electric power, supplemented by a petrol engine for longer journeys; and a fully electric option for pure zero emissions motoring."

:D

·
Registered
87 Posts
I think that the design is pretty great though I am not completely sold on the EV grille. I'll have to see that in person. It's hard for me to think of all the vehicles it would be competing against too. There must be some pretty tough competition out there though. Hyundai is likely quite pleased given that they haven't really done much with green cars in the past.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Indeed. I couldn't think of which other vehicle I could compare it to as a EV.

What don't you like about the grille?

I know for the plug-in, I don't like the grille:

But the EV is not too shabby:

·
Registered
323 Posts
Color scheme plays a big role and i'm not sure if they plan on doing to the Ioniq EV what they did to the Soul EV, done right, I won't mind it:

Just maybe not in the exact same color scheme, but some color scheme that pops far more than what's seen above.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's actually a nice color scheme.

I do hope the ioniq becomes created with their colors and not just the gray scale dull colors.

2 tone or a lighter more colorful tone :)

·
Registered
323 Posts
The colored roof is one thing I like, if they give us a black roof that would be cool, even better if we get a panoramic roof like what tesla is doing. On the EV model it will be perfect.

·
Registered
176 Posts
"if they give us a black roof that would be cool"

I think you are using the word "cool" in a different context other than creature comfort or the environment. Black is hot as H***.
I live in the high desert southwest, and black is avoided as much as possible in the summer. Ever wonder why the Los Angeles PD cruisers are black and white but the roof is white?

·
Registered
169 Posts
While the IONIQ is a step forward in the eco-friendly car segment, I don't think it would win the Product Design Red Dot Award if nominated. The IONIQ isn't really groundbreaking nor is it the 'best of the best' as far as electric and hybrid vehicles go.

There are three red dot distinctions and if they factored in the cost of a vehicle, then maybe the IONIQ could win but there are a lot of expensive cars out there that outperforms the IONIQ .

Red Dot: Best of the Best The Red Dot:
Best of the Best is awarded for groundbreaking design and is the top prize in the Red Dot Award: Product Design. This prize is reserved for the best products in a category.

Red Dot
The Red Dot is the prize for high design quality. The international jury only awards this sought-after seal of quality to projects that set themselves apart significantly from comparable projects thanks to their excellent design.

Honourable Mention
The Honourable Mention is provided by the Red Dot jurors for a particularly well-executed aspect of design work. Products which impress with a well-thought-out detail solution are awarded this honourable mention

·
Registered
176 Posts
To be honest, I really do not care about the "Red Dot." In all likelihood, I would not agree anyway.

I have discovered that I am very opinionated, I know what I like and dislike, and I am not swayed easily by others. I am an architect, and accustomed to dealing for forms, shapes, and 3-dimensional spaces. Looking back over the past 60 years of cars, the 56 Chevy Belaire, the 57 Ford Thunderbird, the 300SL Mercedes, the older BMW Z3's and the new Chevy Corvette all take my "Red Dot" award. Plus others that I did not mention. In addition, I believe that politics is more important than true design quality. The coveted "Car of the Year" awards are bought by the manufacturers.

Personally, based on pictures of the Ioniq, I find it very attractive, much more appealing than the new Prius. Naturally we have no idea about its other qualities (efficiency, ride, comfort, handling, fit and finish and etc). Thats my opinion.

·
Registered
323 Posts
To be honest, I really do not care about the "Red Dot." In all likelihood, I would not agree anyway.

I have discovered that I am very opinionated, I know what I like and dislike, and I am not swayed easily by others. I am an architect, and accustomed to dealing for forms, shapes, and 3-dimensional spaces. Looking back over the past 60 years of cars, the 56 Chevy Belaire, the 57 Ford Thunderbird, the 300SL Mercedes, the older BMW Z3's and the new Chevy Corvette all take my "Red Dot" award. Plus others that I did not mention. In addition, I believe that politics is more important than true design quality. The coveted "Car of the Year" awards are bought by the manufacturers.

Personally, based on pictures of the Ioniq, I find it very attractive, much more appealing than the new Prius. Naturally we have no idea about its other qualities (efficiency, ride, comfort, handling, fit and finish and etc). Thats my opinion.
i know what you mean, the criteria for the Red Dot award is 'ground breaking' design, and the Ioniq is not anywhere near ground breaking by the criteria i've been used to judging that by. And my knowledge in the automotive industry and overall familiarity is quite big.

Even just looking at this segment alone... the Ioniq looks good, but not groudbreaking.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Awards like these are more for those who are on the fence about what they want to buy and the presence of one helps them make the final decision. I don't care much for awards but I do read up on reviews because it's from people who have tested the cars and spent time driving around in them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts