Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so we all already know that the USA version of the Ioniq will not have a traditional 12v lead-acid battery to save on added weight. Let's start a discussion on all the other differences we know of/can find for the USA Ioniq!

I'll start with one to add:
No LKAS! Everything, everywhere that I can find across the vast internet points to the very specific "LDW" feature only. In other words, there is a Lane Departure Warning where if you start to veer out of your lane, the car will give you an audible alarm and...nothing else.

LKAS stands for Lane Keep Assist System which will help you correct your steering to at least some degree to help you maintain your position in your lane. Some will actually do a bit of light steering as a limited "autopilot" on the highway. It appears to be in the Ioniq released in other countries across the world. However, this feature seems to be noticeably absent on the USA Ioniq.

Any idea why Hyundai USA would purposefully gimp the Ioniq? The hardware is obviously included and capable, but somewhere along the line it appears to have been decided to turn it off for US customers. Perhaps due to Tesla and the negative press surrounding some accidents in their vehicles lately that Hyundai USA just decided to avoid that headache and the legal issues?

·
Registered
251 Posts
DaveAZ, I suspect it's because the U.S. is possibly the most litigious society in the world, and Hyundai--perhaps wisely--decided to just remove a useful feature that Ioniqs in every other market in the world have in order to limit the company's exposure to lawsuits.

But hey, what do I know???

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe you'd be right. This is the country where you can sue McDonald's (and win!) for burning yourself because you spilled hot coffee on your lap. Imagine that. Coffee is hot. Now they have to put the Caution: HOT! label on everything, just as irons have to warn you not to iron clothing while you are wearing them.

Back on topic though, it is sad to see such a useful (and desired, at least by me) feature thrown out just because 'Murica. Maybe, just maybe, I'll be surprised and it'll be there once I can get my hands on an Ioniq. Or, they decide to update the firmware or whatever it is to turn it back on someday. Hmmm...or could be hacked to turn it on. lol

·
Registered
251 Posts
DaveAZ, I just sent you a private message with a request that you e-mail the PDF brochure that you made, but my browser locked up and I'm not sure if it went out. Did you get it a few minutes ago?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DaveAZ, I just sent you a private message with a request that you e-mail the PDF brochure that you made, but my browser locked up and I'm not sure if it went out. Did you get it a few minutes ago?
It would appear that I did not, sorry. Do you know what the post count must be before I am able to post a hyperlink? I've actually already uploaded the brochure to my Google Drive but can't share the links yet.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found another difference for the USA Ioniq. This time it is something added, not taken away.

Blue Link - This looks similar to GM's "OnStar". I've looked at the Blue Link web site a little bit and this looks pretty cool, actually. It is currently only available in the US. It is complimentary for 1 year with the "Connected Care" package. The "Remote Charge Access" is complimentary for 3 years, but that only allows you to remotely start or stop the Ioniq EV charging when plugged in to a charging station. After this, there is a subscription fee to continue service.

It's not too clear what all exactly comes in the Connected Care package, but you can always upgrade to other packages that include more features. Whether they are all available on the Ioniq also is unclear at this time.

But, here's a list of most of the things possible after you download the Blue Link app to your Android or iOS smartphone: Remotely turn on or off the car, remote start/stop charging (EV only), remote start/stop heating or air conditioning, remote lock/unlock, automatic collision notification, monthly vehicle health reports, emergency roadside assistance, dealership maintenance scheduling, geo blocking (let's you know if your teenager or whoever takes the car out of the area you specify), speed alerts (tells you if your teenager was speeding), curfew, stolen vehicle recovery, destination (navigation) search and send directions to car via smartphone, TPMS monitoring and more.

Also of note, I read on a web site that someone started a lawsuit regarding Blue Link because the service was not used on the vehicle in over a year and Blue Link/Hyundai claim that if it is inactive for a year that the hardware unit needs replaced at a cost of $500 to the customer just so you can reactivate service (and spend more money). I wonder how that will end up. Seems kind of bogus that you'd have to actually replace hardware in a scenario like that.

·
Registered
251 Posts
DaveAZ, sorry, I don't know what post count is required for you to be able to post links, and I think the guys who know are located in the UK and probably fast asleep as we speak.

Hopefully you'll be able to share your brochure very soon.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Got it, DaveAZ. I should have read your other post first!

Right off the bat, I'm disappointed that the Phoenix Orange color doesn't seem to be available. That's not a deal-breaker for me, but it is a major annoyance, since I really HATE dull, nondescript car colors like white and silver.

Oh, well, we'll see what develops.

Thanks for all the effort you put into this!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I guess this is the direction the US market is heading. Gen 3 Prius's Advanced Technology Package had both LKA and LDW. LKA was removed in the Gen 4 leaving the LDW as the only option. I don't know about Hyundai's LDW system but the Toyota's LDW system does more than just warn you. It will steer itself away from the lane divider at the last second if you ignore all the warning beeps. I do wish that Hyundai retain the LKAS and just not advertise it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You're welcome. I agree with you, @sundayt, I prefer something a little different, although my favorite color is blue. My first Prius c (I'm on my 2nd now) was the bright orange/habanero color. After having a black car and people almost hitting it a lot at night, I figured I'd try white. When I did actually get hit in the white car twice from people backing into me in parking lots, I decided I needed something different that says "pay attention, stupid!". They say orange has a psychological effect such as when going through construction zones that force people to slow down and pay more attention and that's why I got the orange Prius c lol. Needless to say, it worked. I never got remotely close to anyone hitting me in that car in the 2.5 years I had it.

Back on topic, the USA is going to be missing these colors:
Phoenix Orange for Hybrid.
Blazing Yellow for EV.
Siena Brown for Hybrid/EV (possibly)? This one is mentioned on this web site, but was absent from the USA brochure. Maybe it's just not popular enough to put in the brochure but will still be available?

Unfortunately, the "popular" colors according to this web site are below for different regions and none of them are very interesting. Do you think they're only popular because that's all most manufacturers are making, or because people actually WANT them? Hmm... From this article:
Global Color Trends by Region
North America
In North America, white remains most popular (23 percent), followed by black (19 percent), gray (17 percent), silver (15 percent), red (10 percent) and blue (8 percent).
South America
In South America, white leads in popularity (36 percent), followed by silver (31 percent), black (11 percent), gray and red (tied at 9 percent each), and blue (2.5 percent).
Europe
In Europe, white remains most popular (31 percent), followed by black (18 percent), gray (16 percent), silver (12 percent) and blue (9 percent).
Asia Pacific
In Asia Pacific markets, white remains most popular (44 percent), followed by black (16 percent), natural and silver (tied at 10 percent each), and gray (7 percent).

·
Super Moderator
1,499 Posts
I found another difference for the USA Ioniq. This time it is something added, not taken away.

Blue Link - This looks similar to GM's "OnStar". I've looked at the Blue Link web site a little bit and this looks pretty cool, actually. It is currently only available in the US. It is complimentary for 1 year with the "Connected Care" package. The "Remote Charge Access" is complimentary for 3 years, but that only allows you to remotely start or stop the Ioniq EV charging when plugged in to a charging station. After this, there is a subscription fee to continue service.

It's not too clear what all exactly comes in the Connected Care package, but you can always upgrade to other packages that include more features. Whether they are all available on the Ioniq also is unclear at this time.

But, here's a list of most of the things possible after you download the Blue Link app to your Android or iOS smartphone: Remotely turn on or off the car, remote start/stop charging (EV only), remote start/stop heating or air conditioning, remote lock/unlock, automatic collision notification, monthly vehicle health reports, emergency roadside assistance, dealership maintenance scheduling, geo blocking (let's you know if your teenager or whoever takes the car out of the area you specify), speed alerts (tells you if your teenager was speeding), curfew, stolen vehicle recovery, destination (navigation) search and send directions to car via smartphone, TPMS monitoring and more.

Also of note, I read on a web site that someone started a lawsuit regarding Blue Link because the service was not used on the vehicle in over a year and Blue Link/Hyundai claim that if it is inactive for a year that the hardware unit needs replaced at a cost of $500 to the customer just so you can reactivate service (and spend more money). I wonder how that will end up. Seems kind of bogus that you'd have to actually replace hardware in a scenario like that.

We Europeans are very jealous on you having this Blue Link option!
Maybe I would even trade in my LKAS for it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We Europeans are very jealous on you having this Blue Link option!
Maybe I would even trade in my LKAS for it.
Oh, you don't even know how amazing the remotely start the air conditioning feature is going to be for me. Coming out of work or shopping and having to sit inside a car that has been outside in 120 degree weather? No thanks! And to a lesser degree (pun intended) starting the heater on the cold days will be nice too. Plus the heated seats!

·
Super Moderator
1,499 Posts
We can only do that by programming the heating or cooling for the planned time of departure at forehand. If you did not program that, then on cold days in the morning after waking up you can still heat the car, but to do that, first you have to dress well and go in the cold outside to enter the car to activate the heater...

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm curious of what happens if you set a daily time to turn on the vehicle but then either you forget that you set it, or your schedule changes and you don't remember to turn the car back off again? Does it only wait so long for it to sense you've opened the door then turn off after a set time period or something? How long do you have before it shuts down if it does something like that?

·
Registered
68 Posts
The other fun bonus of Blue Link is that it works with Amazon Echo and Apple Watch too - I'd love to have a voice controlled car!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just saw DaveAZ's other thread with the US Ioniq brochure and wanted to note these other cosmetic differences I'm seeing:
The electric version seems to have a shiny black plastic grill insert instead of the silver/grey that I've seen in all previous pictures. It also seems to no longer have the copper colored highlights on the exterior and interior. Frankly, this is disappointing, as those bits of additional color added character, and without them the Ioniq will just blend in even more with the mass of other vehicles on the road, esp. since some of the more stand-out colors (Phoenix Orange and the Yellow) seem to have been dropped.

With 4 out of the 5 colors being essentially monochrome, it seems that Hyundai USA is playing it far too safe and doesn't have the confidence to have the Ioniq really make a splash on the road.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good eye on this and the LED interior lighting. I was looking forward to the copper or blue trim highlights. Your never know when/where some of these pictures come from, sometimes prototypes and what not. We might just get lucky.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts