Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
  • US ICCU Recall (aka 12V battery failure issue). Please use the following thread, this pertains to all eGMP models. Please do not create duplicate threads on this topic. Thread

Ioniq comes to Australia

12K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  TRT 
#1 ·
The Hyundai Ioniq hybrid, plug-in hybrid and battery electric vehicle range has been expected to be one of the watershed moments for the Australian EV market, mostly because of the expectations that the pure electric version would break the $50,000 barrier and still provide an acceptable driving range.

It turns out that is exactly the case. The full battery electric vehicle (BEV) version will come in at $45,000, with a range of 280km.
Link: Hyundai lets slip pricing for new Ioniq electric vehicle models

Reactions: IsntItIoniq
#3 ·
Full prices released

Hyundai Australia updated their website (finally!) about a fortnight ago with full Ioniq pricing across the range. The $45,000 BEV price looks a little optimistic after taking into account dealer costs and government charges (which vary by Australian State or Territory of registration).

From the Hyundai Australia website (as at 27 Dec 2018), maximum "on the road" pricing -

Ioniq Hybrid $37,885 AUD - $43,648 AUD
Ioniq Plug-in Hybrid $45,253 AUD - $50,561 AUD
Ioniq Electric $49,253 AUD - $54,078 AUD

Each version comes in two models, "Elite" and "Premium", hence the wide range in pricing.

Reactions: bluecar1 and knutsp
#4 ·
Where to see Ioniq in Australia

Of the 173 Hyundai dealers in Australia, only 18 have been designated as "Blue-Drive" dealers, able to sell the Ioniq.
For Australian readers, here is the complete list because it's hard to find on their website.

Hyundai Australia Blue-Drive Dealer list

ACT
Lennock Hyundai, Phillip
NEW SOUTH WALES
Booth's Hyundai, North Gosford
Col Crawford Hyundai, Brookvale
Paul Wakeling Hyundai, Campbelltown
Ryde Hyundai, Ryde
Wagga Motors Hyundai, Wagga Wagga
QUEENSLAND
Gold Coast Hyundai, Southport
Keema Hyundai, Mt Gravatt
Zupps Aspley Hyundai, Aspley
SOUTH AUSTRALIA
Maughan Thiem Hyundai, Cheltenham
TASMANIA
Hyundai Hobart Motors, Hobart
VICTORIA
Baker Hyundai, Wodonga
Doncaster Hyundai, Doncaster
Lakeside Hyundai, Caroline Springs
South Morang Hyundai, Mill Park
WESTERN AUSTRALIA
John Hughes Hyundai, Victoria Park
Osborne Park Hyundai, Osborne Park
Wild West Hyundai, Wangara

#5 ·
Interesting, there is a Hyundai dealer in Doncaster England too.

#8 · (Edited)
Now that it is here can we speculate delivery month and pricing for the 2020 refresh?

I just had a phone call from my dealer advising me that my ioniq premium, order in Jan and due end of May will be no longer built.
I was offered an alternative vehicle in a different colour but was told it was the last one unallocated that will be delivered within our state. Hyundai have basically stopped making the 2019 28kw version for Australia.

Thoughts? Will they concentrate on the kona production now or will we start the new model ioniq delivered in July 2019?

#9 ·
I just had a phone call from my dealer advising me that my ioniq premium, order in Jan and due end of May will be no longer built.
I was offered an alternative vehicle in a different colour but was told it was the last one unallocated that will be delivered within our state. Hyundai have basically stopped making the 2019 28kw version for Australia
My order was January as well. Now I’m worried. Or at least conflicted - I’d be prepared to wait for the bigger battery, but am annoyed at Hyundai Australia’s lack of transparency.

Just want to know what’s happening at this point.

Is anything similar occurring in other countries?

#13 ·
#16 ·
According to financial news, the reason there is a large quarterly dip in Tesla sales is that so much production is currently on ships headed overseas and not delivered to customers. Since Tesla tax credits are expiring in the US, they are shifting sales overseas. Have to wonder what Trump thinks about that! I read in the news yesterday that Australia has a luxury tax on EVs? Perhaps Australia's government would prefer coal burning cars (that don't exist) like Trump.

#18 · (Edited)
I read in the news yesterday that Australia has a luxury tax on EVs
Yeah, it’s a great disincentive. This year the tax is imposed on vehicles costing more than $66,361. That threshold increases each year for vehicles that are NOT fuel efficient. It has moved from $57,180 to $66,361 over the last decade.

There is a higher threshold for fuel efficient vehicles but the luxury tax threshold for these vehicles has barely moved from $75,000 to $75,526 over the same decade.

So no (extra 33%) tax on cheaper EVs, including Model 3s & Hyundais. But other Tesla’s get hit hard.

Australia has virtually no encouragement for electric vehicles. And ironically/bizarrely we have a federal election next week and the government has attacked the main opposition party for its policy of giving concessions to EVs.

Go figure ?

#22 · (Edited)
Yep, confirmed for release in Australia in 2nd half of 2019

https://www.motoring.com.au/hyundai-...lready-118294/

Wait so far = 4 months
Wait for facelift = another 5 months
This reminds me of the situation in Canada about this time last year. Hyundai stopped delivery and those who ordered had to wait additional months (at least 6 I believe) after delivery promises got extended. Anyway, the "new" models (2019) had no range improvements. The Australian situation, if there are actual/real range improvements, sounds a lot better. <fingers-crossed>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.