Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone, I am interested in Ioniq HEV however i have some question before i buy the car.

A friend tell me, ¿can this car climbing long mountain? because if the hybrid battery is fully expended you will get a 1500 kg car with 105 cv and 170 Nm of torque. Maybe the car has problem to climb the rest of mountain.

¿ ECO-DAS system will be abailable in europe por HEV in some software upgrade?

·
Registered
776 Posts
RTFM. An Ioniq is just like another car with a conventional engine. Climbing a mountain the DCT will automatically switch to a lower gear with EV assisting as long as the hybrid battery is sufficiently charged. When it drains the ICE takes over the full load of transmission and charging the battery. Do you really believe the 1.6 l 4 cylinder Kappa engine is not capable of doing that?? The computerized motor management does it better and more efficient than the clumsy driver behind the wheel. Driving downhill is also not a problem. In general you need the same gear as climbing up. When the battery is full ( around 2/3 of its charging capacity) charging stops.
The hybrid motormanagement is taking care of everything you should not worry about. Buckle up and keep your eyes on the road!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now I am more calm in that aspect after your answers.

Thank you very much for your responses.

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
Depends how long a mountain climb it is I suppose . Every morning I have an approximate 3 mile mountain climb , with no pulling power problems , hitting 50 to 60 mph sometimes though generally at a steady 45 mph . One thing that I noticed , and it surprised me , was that a couple of times last week I did the first quarter mile in EV . On those occasions though I was early the road was quiet and I was doing about 30 mph at the time . Most days it's like Whacky Races and driving it 30 is not an option :) . The battery has never dropped below a quarter full and regenerates down the other side to about three quarter full by the time I reach the bottom

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have a large 7% 1220' grade climb that is in my daily commute. My ride down is an awesome battery filler - EV mode for the rest of my trip. On the way home, no EV going up the grade - The good news is that I'm not holding up traffic, it climbs beautifuly, it just reduces the overall mpg. The best I've found yet is to just put in in cruse control and let it manage everything when possible.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts