Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased my new 2020 Ioniq 6 months ago. Now the weather is getting warmer I have been wanting to car camp with it. I did have a Prius and used it to camp in and I'm in a lot of the Prius camping groups on facebook. Has anyone camped in their Ioniq and if you did, how did you do it? I'm interesting in seeing the inside set up. It will probably just be me alone as my husband hates camping. However I do plan on going with family or friends when I do go.

·
Registered
2019 IONIQ HEV Blue Trim | Ceramic White/Charcoal
187 Posts
Welcome to the forum and hope your enjoying your new IONIQ. Take a look at these recent threads here and in this one with my bedboard here. I tested a couple weeks ago and am in the tweaking/am I serious about doing this for some serious National/State park adventuring. I did a test camping trip a couple of weeks ago and I was having issues with the slope of my board and kept sliding towards the hatch so took the rear passenger seat out for a level bed (I'm leaving the rear passenger seat and the bench in for now until I decide they're not useful). Also from that trip, I did an test update of my Mountainsmith Sunshade tarp pitch below so it now extends over the bedroom and dining room/kitchen for rain protection.

Again, this is an ongoing experiment and I will refine as I get out there more to test but pretty much good to go as is.

PS: You may want to add your IONIQ trim and general location to your account setting signature/profile so you get the best replies to your queries.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The first thing necessary is to level the bed, so pop the hatch and pull out the spare tire cover under the “trunk” or rear carpet rug; (It’s light weight and easy to remove.)

Next build a taller stronger and level base (place a 2”x4” cut from front to back about 36” on each side with a small piece of .75” plywood as a surface is plenty strong, but still light weight.) Use the rug as a close estimate for the shape to cut the ply base into (& ask someone with experience for help cutting the correct shape if it is too complicated.) One in place the rug goes back on top... now the bed is flat, not quite level but it’ll be comfy.

When assembled you will notice that this new base creates any area for storage underneath plus it is also easy to remove and put back to normal when you are done; This new base is about 36” x 38” or the size of a medium cabinet door with the two 2x4 for stability on both sides running front to back.

Next fold both front seats forward for easy maneuvering in bed & extra room for the mattress & pillows. Find a comfortable memory foam topper that fits the desired length of your bed. Since you are alone you can use a twin bed matress topper, but a “full” size is better you just gotta squish it around into the back corners lol. If you really want it to be comfortable use two pieces of foam, or fold a king or queen in half; (you can also cut the foam if you’re a perfectionist, but it’s overkill.)

Use extra pillows for behind the front seats and underneath pillows is also a good place to put bags. This will give you the maximum length.

Getting in & out on is easiest on the sides doors and sleeping in an Ioniq works better for short people, like children lol.... but overall you get about 6’ tall x 4’ wide.

*It’s easier to build this base or call it a “subfloor” than it is to take the back seat out. If you do get gnarly and take the back seat out you could maybe get 2.5” extra height... but you still have to make it level and give up that same space for storage underneath. Mostly it just seems so much easier to not mess with taking the seats out.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
If you do get gnarly and take the back seat out you could maybe get 2.5” extra height
More like 4 inches if you also break down the plastic underpinnings of the load floor too. You still have some storage left in the spare wheel area, I keep a sleeping bag in it (which also cuts down on rear tire noise) and a pillow for emergency naps.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The first thing necessary is to level the bed, so pop the hatch and pull out the spare tire cover under the “trunk” or rear carpet rug; (It’s light weight and easy to remove.)

Next build a taller stronger and level base (place a 2”x4” cut from front to back about 36” on each side with a small piece of .75” plywood as a surface is plenty strong, but still light weight.) Use the rug as a close estimate for the shape to cut the ply base into (& ask someone with experience for help cutting the correct shape if it is too complicated.) One in place the rug goes back on top... now the bed is flat, not quite level but it’ll be comfy.

When assembled you will notice that this new base creates any area for storage underneath plus it is also easy to remove and put back to normal when you are done; This new base is about 36” x 38” or the size of a medium cabinet door with the two 2x4 for stability on both sides running front to back.

Next fold both front seats forward for easy maneuvering in bed & extra room for the mattress & pillows. Find a comfortable memory foam topper that fits the desired length of your bed. Since you are alone you can use a twin bed matress topper, but a “full” size is better you just gotta squish it around into the back corners lol. If you really want it to be comfortable use two pieces of foam, or fold a king or queen in half; (you can also cut the foam if you’re a perfectionist, but it’s overkill.)

Use extra pillows for behind the front seats and underneath pillows is also a good place to put bags. This will give you the maximum length.

Getting in & out on is easiest on the sides doors and sleeping in an Ioniq works better for short people, like children lol.... but overall you get about 6’ tall x 4’ wide.

*It’s easier to build this base or call it a “subfloor” than it is to take the back seat out. If you do get gnarly and take the back seat out you could maybe get 2.5” extra height... but you still have to make it level and give up that same space for storage underneath. Mostly it just seems so much easier to not mess with taking the seats out.
I’m 6’2” and wanted the ability to sit up while in bed (using passenger seat as my backrest) and also entry/exit required very awkward contortionist skills so only took out the rear passenger seat back leaving the rear driver side and bench seats. This gave me about 6” of height PLUS no annoying sliding into the hatch due to the angle with a side bonus of removing 30-40 lbs of unused weight. I’ve done several overnights and feel pretty good about my latest adapted bedboard setup per photo. I cutout the board to accommodate the console and the bulge on right rear so the board can easily be slid forward and back for access.

Once I figured out that you only have to undo two bolts in the center bracket between the two seat backs, it’s pretty easy to remove.

My latest trip the other night it rained so having livable space was awesome as I used my plugin electric kettle to boil water for oatmeal and coffee for breakfast.

Also notice in photo I made Reflectix covers for all windows which makes for a very dark sleeping environment plus added a matte black side using adhesive vinyl for a more stealthy presence.

Regarding storage, I’m not sure adding much storage below makes sense with the small amount of space available and stacking, shifting and using cubby hole space have worked well so far - plus, if I can’t see it and get to it easy, not worth it especially as I bought a space saver spare that mostly fills up that space but does support the board better.

·
Registered
2020 "Intense Blue" Ioniq Plugin Preferred
2 Posts
There has been fairly comprehensive coverage of setting up sleeping accommodation and accessories to make camping in the IoniQ functional and comfortable.

I'm in Northern Ontario where nights can get decidedly chilly and there are swarms of insects (mosquitoes, black flies, "no-see-ums") out looking for their evening meal which I'm hoping to deny them.

So, items I'd really like to hear peoples experience with:

1. Chilly nights - if I leave the car "buttoned down" come morning the windows are completely fogged up.
2. Cracking the windows gives me a bit of a cross breeze and an escape avenue for all of the moisture but at the cost of . . .
a). Getting rained on - cured by adding Side Visors?
b) Much more importantly getting eaten alive by the tiny denizens of the night - any practical solutions for screening?
3. I guess privacy is a bit of an issue - tinting back and rear windows? How dark is convenient and how easy is it to see through that stuff? Not a "style" thing at all.

All suggestions most welcome.

·
Registered
187 Posts
There has been fairly comprehensive coverage of setting up sleeping accommodation and accessories to make camping in the IoniQ functional and comfortable.

I'm in Northern Ontario where nights can get decidedly chilly and there are swarms of insects (mosquitoes, black flies, "no-see-ums") out looking for their evening meal which I'm hoping to deny them.

So, items I'd really like to hear peoples experience with:

1. Chilly nights - if I leave the car "buttoned down" come morning the windows are completely fogged up.
2. Cracking the windows gives me a bit of a cross breeze and an escape avenue for all of the moisture but at the cost of . . .
a). Getting rained on - cured by adding Side Visors?
b) Much more importantly getting eaten alive by the tiny denizens of the night - any practical solutions for screening?
3. I guess privacy is a bit of an issue - tinting back and rear windows? How dark is convenient and how easy is it to see through that stuff? Not a "style" thing at all.

All suggestions most welcome.
-Ventilation: Yep, wind/rain deflectors let you crack your windows in the rain. I got the kind with 3M adhesive on eBay for about $25 US and worked well in a decent downpour.
-I can’t speak for the no-see-ums protection but I use window screens that are like a sock that slide over the rear windows including the deflectors. Also worked in the rain.
-See above about the Reflectix window covers I made. With those installed, I can’t even see my hand at night so great for shuteye and of course, offer some insulation. Not ‘pro’ but can be used with the screens and if you have a good fit, can be bent back slightly at the top for ventilation.

I’ve used this setup in temps that got down to the low 40°s F. Below that, I plan on following the Prius camper/dwellers and running the ICE heat along with a CO detector IF I need but more importantly, a good sleeping bag with a liner for backup.
*This photo was taken before I installed and later tested the wind deflectors

Edit: If you don’t want to mess with DIY Reflectix, WeatherTech makes a full sun shade set for the IONIQ for $140 US.

·
Registered
2020 "Intense Blue" Ioniq Plugin Preferred
2 Posts
Thanks HyperIoniQ
Side visors - check
"Window socks" I hadn't thought of. Sounds like a DIY project I can pass on to my sister. She likes doing that kind of stuff. Might be able to make a dual purpose screen and light block . . . have to think about that.
Not familiar with Reflectix. Something to do a search for locally.
Looking forward to actually being able to do some travelling in the next few months.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Thanks HyperIoniQ
Side visors - check
"Window socks" I hadn't thought of. Sounds like a DIY project I can pass on to my sister. She likes doing that kind of stuff. Might be able to make a dual purpose screen and light block . . . have to think about that.
Not familiar with Reflectix. Something to do a search for locally.
Looking forward to actually being able to do some travelling in the next few months.
Just so I’m clear, I bought the window screens from Amazon e.g., these (I did not buy this specific set). The Reflectix covers were DIY and do seem to work with the mesh screens by bending the tops back slightly.

Happy camping and good luck with those Canadian blood suckers seeking their human buffet!

·
Registered
2019 Ioniq blue HEV
239 Posts
i camped once in my ioniq. window screen covers worked great to allow fresh air, but any time other cars or campers drove by, dirt being kicked up made its way into the car. had to super vacuum the next day...

i would do it again, but my only issue was the trunk connector to the back seats stabbing into my back. would love some soft pillow adapter thing to put there versus coming up with crazy contraptions. also getting up to pee in the middle of the night sucks because you cant pop the trunk and crawl out. gotta go out passenger sides

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
also getting up to pee in the middle of the night sucks because you cant pop the trunk and crawl out. gotta go out passenger sides
Empty Gatorade bottle - for men anyway. Preferred brand for long distance truckers to accessorize their 60 oz coffee/soft drink mugs.

·
Registered
2019 PHEV Ultimate
1,135 Posts
When we camp with our Santa Fe we just haul a tent. And a double Seadoo trailer. And mountain bikes. And a kitchen shelter. It's never occurred to us to try and sleep in the vehicle, a sleeping bag on an air mattress in a tent is always level and un-cramped. I'm really surprised at how much I've encountered car camping talk since joining this forum and watching EV videos on YouTube...

Reactions: Ou Boet
1 - 12 of 12 Posts