·
Registered
443 Posts
It will probably cost £40000 if it ever reaches UK dealerships

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
From CNN:

“The $35,000 Tesla Model 3 is now a real thing.

This is the car people have been waiting for since Tesla revealed the Model 3 in April, 2016. For this money, you get 220 miles of driving range and a zero to 60 time of 5.6 seconds. You can also get a version with more speed and 240 miles of range for about $2,000 more.”

https://www.cnn.com/business/live-news/elon-musk-tesla-announcement/h_2b4d47b3b28f62ab7913333762796d92

I would be thinking twice before getting Ioniq EV now.

Really? Can you actually order one and take delivery before, say, Xmas 2020?

`Available to Order` should never be misconstrued with `Available`... especially in Musk-speak.>:)

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Two to four week delivery right now in US. Huge volume compared to any other manufacturer. Diminishing domestic tax benefits means big push overseas. You are far more likely in the UK to be able to purchase a Tesla this year than a e-Niro.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Two to four week delivery right now in US. Huge volume compared to any other manufacturer. Diminishing domestic tax benefits means big push overseas. You are far more likely in the UK to be able to purchase a Tesla this year than a e-Niro.
..Says Musk. I have little doubt that will prove to be more than a slight exaggeration.
But it's a moot Musk point here in the UK. :nerd:

·
Registered
443 Posts
That boot rather than hatchback is probably also why the Ford Mondeo hybrid sold only penny numbers in the UK. I had to hunt high and low to find one to inspect, and then it was a well used example. The boot was ginormous but was not as usable as a hatchback.The Ford main dealer where I found the car new nothing about it, in terms of battery warranty, servicing costs ,etc

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
..Says Musk. I have little doubt that will prove to be more than a slight exaggeration.
But it's a moot Musk point here in the UK. :nerd:
If you say so. But when an order is placed, you receive a firm delivery date frame here. That is where the two to four week figure comes from. As I said, demand is down domestically with expiring incentives so I doubt there will be any issues.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Irrespective of any price drop I'd be very cautious given both the reported poor reliability record and questionmarks over the company's future.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Irrespective of any price drop I'd be very cautious given both the reported poor reliability record and questionmarks over the company's future.
I agree. I like what Musk is trying to do but I don't think I'd buy his product right now.

I am hoping that once I am able to make the switch to full EV, Hyundai has resolved whatever production issues they have and I can get one off a dealer lot. Or, barring that, maybe another manufacturer will have something that interests me.

·
Super Moderator
1,808 Posts
I am hoping that once I am able to make the switch to full EV, Hyundai has resolved whatever production issues they have and I can get one off a dealer lot. Or, barring that, maybe another manufacturer will have something that interests me.
If VW fulfil their promise, they will sink Hyundai and Kia's boat ( and most likely Tesla ) . Only the 5 and 7 year warranties will save them ...maybe . Seat will also soon announce an EV offering or two based on the VW MEB platform
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motor-shows-geneva-motor-show/seats-201bhp-el-born-brands-first-bespoke-ev

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Competition is great! Personally, I hope no car company is so great that the others are sunk. Tesla has a great (potential) business advantage right now with battery supply if they don't screw it up - needs better management. Got to love iPhone like updates and improvement. Like with Apple, other companies don't seem to bother trying to compete on that front. Hope they do.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Not really good comparison. $35K is not really it:
1. Tesla has hefty processing fee of $1200 (dealers usually $200-$300).
2. Colors extra $1.5-$2.5K
3. Wheels $1K
4. You can not negotiate price down, dealers usually drop $2500 with little effort.
5. FED rebate is only $3750 vs, Ionic $7500
6. Winter millage only slightly more vs. Ionic, not a hatch and etc. etc.

I do not think it is even a competitor to Ionic EV basic $30K, and it is lacking tons of features vs. Ionic EV Limited $37K. I do not even mention seating comfort on Ionic vs. Tesla Model 3 (non existent).

Power train is the only good thing on Model 3, but honestly how far you would go at 125mph on any EV? Maybe a half range and they would take your license away forever.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Tesla prices

Hmmm, curious if true.

Tesla have apparently just cut price of model S & model X by 30% (according to motoring journalist) or 6% (according to Tesla). If the Australian prices reflected in the link below are correct, I feel sorry for recent purchasers - especially those on leases - whose vehicles have depreciated overnight.

https://www.carsales.com.au/editorial/details/breaking-massive-price-cuts-for-tesla-model-s-and-model-x-117249/

Added link to new USD prices http://fortune.com/2019/03/01/tesla-lower-prices-model-s-model-x/

I will watch with interest for confirmation.

TRT

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Competition and drop of government purchase subsidies is why prices are being reduced. Effectively those consumer tax rebates supported higher Tesla prices since they started mass production. Now Tesla will have to fly on just the value of fairly priced products.

At the same time, other manufacturers haven't lost their subsidies so have a competitive advantage over Tesla (and Nissan) in the US. Not sure what is happening in Oz.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
If VW fulfil their promise, they will sink Hyundai and Kia's boat ( and most likely Tesla ) . Only the 5 and 7 year warranties will save them ...maybe . Seat will also soon announce an EV offering or two based on the VW MEB platform
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motor-shows-geneva-motor-show/seats-201bhp-el-born-brands-first-bespoke-ev
I really think VW have bigger problems than purely sinking Hyundai, Kia and the Tesla markets! They are dealing with sales down at least 20% over their ICE ranges.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/comment/gloom-overshadows-geneva-motor-show-auto-industry-faces-myriad/

·
Super Moderator
1,808 Posts
I really think VW have bigger problems than purely sinking Hyundai, Kia and the Tesla markets! They are dealing with sales down at least 20% over their ICE ranges.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/comment/gloom-overshadows-geneva-motor-show-auto-industry-faces-myriad/
Customers lost faith and trust in VW and other manufacturers to a lesser extent after Dieselgate and rightly so . Also the trend for all manufacturers is on a downward trend . The reasons are many fold . Uncertainty of government and local authorities attitudes toward polluting vehicles possible bans or charges come to mind . In the UK uncertainty around Brexit is a factor but not the whole reason . Availability of EV at affordable prices and realistic range for high mileage drivers .
I really can't see VW throwing £Billions at the MEB platform without believing they have the ability to deliver the units at the estimated prices and regain the faith of the motoring public . Unless they fiddle the WLTP range figures of course >:)

·
Registered
140 Posts
1. Tesla has hefty processing fee of $1200 (dealers usually $200-$300).
3. Wheels $1K
Correction:
1. processing fee of 1200 includes destination charge and documentation fees - so it is more inline with average.
3. Wheels upgrade 1.5K

I am expecting a couple more rounds of price drops as Feds rebate is wound down. Hopefully, by the end of 2019 ~$30K Model 3 SR RWD would become somewhat competitive with many EVs on the market, even with its short comings.

Thanks to the latest development at Tesla, it is abundantly clear that all EV manufacturers are including Fed rebate amount in their EV prices in the US. This actually exposing this fact, thanks to Tesla reality.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts