Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I went to my local hyundai dealer today and went for a testdrive of the Ioniq PHEV. Seemed like a nice car, but the salesrep said that the stock of cars they had now was the last batch they would get as the car was being phased out.

This made me a bit hessitant, buying a "dying" model/series? What do you guys think?

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq EV Premium Plus
452 Posts
I owned an Ioniq PHEV for a year and a half before I switched to the fully electric model. My PHEV was an excellent car, and if you can buy one at a bargain price now that the model is being phased out, so much better. Go for it if it's a PHEV that you really want and need. It will serve you well for years to come, until they stop selling petrol in 2040. (y)

Future cars will probably be all electric, though. No more PHEVs.

Ioniq as a trade mark or series of cars won't go away.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Appreciate the answer Anders. If I had a charging port at our apt then I for sure would get a fully electric car - but we don't. And swedish apartment cooperatives are quite slow to adapt charging ports.

Instead, I'm thinking of the Kia Ceed SW Plug in or the Kia Niro Plug In. I realise this is not a Kia forum, but from what I can tell it has the same drivetrain?

thanks for all future comments as well. I want to do what's right both by my wallet and the environment.

Cheers

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Premium (EV)
109 Posts
Maybe the PHEV is on its way out, but I don't think the EV is

·
Registered
452 Posts
Maybe the PHEV is on its way out, but I don't think the EV is
All three classic Ioniq flavors are on sale right now at a significantly reduced price - HEV, PHEV as well as the EV. That would suggest that they are all being phased out to be replaced by the new Ioniq 5, as well as by other upcoming Ioniq models which are EV only.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Appreciate the answer Anders. If I had a charging port at our apt then I for sure would get a fully electric car - but we don't. And swedish apartment cooperatives are quite slow to adapt charging ports.
I'm sure that will change over the next few years. It's very likely that there will be a ban on the sale of fossil powered cars from 2030. No housing cooperative or landlord can ignore that.

Why don't you bring it up with the management at your cooperative right now? Even if you decide on a PHEV for the time being, you will still find great use for some chargers at your parking lot.

·
Registered
2020 Premium Electric
80 Posts
With the current model only being released in late 2019, I would think it still has another year or so to go. In Australia we won't get the IONIQ 5 until the end of this year but I suspect that with them being so different, there will be some overlap. It's hard to say though with no official word. I haven't seen anything that says the IONIQ 5 replaces the Ioniq EV.

·
Registered
2019 Ioniq PHEV Preferred (Intense Blue)
17 Posts
Did a search online and didn't see any reports about it being discontinued. Hope the Ioniq 5 isn't replacing the other models though as it looks like it will be considerably more expensive. Perhaps it will be similar to the Hyundai/Genesis brands eg. standard vs. premium models.

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq EV
51 Posts
I'm sure that will change over the next few years. It's very likely that there will be a ban on the sale of fossil powered cars from 2030. No housing cooperative or landlord can ignore that.

Why don't you bring it up with the management at your cooperative right now? Even if you decide on a PHEV for the time being, you will still find great use for some chargers at your parking lot.

can you not just use your motor warmer outlet and snail charge it as a temporary measure?

in the U.K. it is a requirement for new builds to an EV point now and like you said properties will lose attractiveness if you cannot charge them.

Mind you with the residential property shortage in Sweden would you knock back a flat for lack of an EV outlet after waiting 10 years to get one 😂😂

As for the original point how long will you keep the car? A significant amount of Ioniq parts are shared across Hyundai’s vehicle portfolio so even if it is discontinued they will still be spares being manufactured for years to come.

A mate in Britain has a Saab and he can still get parts…

·
Registered
452 Posts
Did a search online and didn't see any reports about it being discontinued. Hope the Ioniq 5 isn't replacing the other models though as it looks like it will be considerably more expensive. Perhaps it will be similar to the Hyundai/Genesis brands eg. standard vs. premium models.
I may be wrong, but I doubt that the classic Ioniq will carry over to model year 2022.

There's apparently quite a heavy demand for the Ioniq 5, and I can imagine that they will want to direct all their attention to the manufacture of the I5, rather than making any more "classics".

Add to that the shortage of batteries, and the commitment to replacing a substantial number of hazardous batteries in cars that are already out there. So I guess they will prefer puting the batteries they can get hold of into cars that are selling like hotcakes, rather than into a previous model of uncertain future.

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq EV
51 Posts
I may be wrong, but I doubt that the classic Ioniq will carry over to model year 2022.

There's apparently quite a heavy demand for the Ioniq 5, and I can imagine that they will want to direct all their attention to the manufacture of the I5, rather than making any more "classics".

Add to that the shortage of batteries, and the commitment to replacing a substantial number of hazardous batteries in cars that are already out there. So I guess they will prefer puting the batteries they can get hold of into cars that are selling like hotcakes, rather than into a previous model of uncertain future.
It could be just the phev thy discontinue as they did a refresh on the model in late 2019.

it would be wasteful to refresh the model and then discontinue it after only 2 production years.

plus I don’t see the ioniq 5 as a replacement to the ioniq ev. The price point is totally different.

·
Registered
2019 Ioniq PHEV Preferred (Intense Blue)
17 Posts
It could be just the phev thy discontinue as they did a refresh on the model in late 2019.

it would be wasteful to refresh the model and then discontinue it after only 2 production years.

plus I don’t see the ioniq 5 as a replacement to the ioniq ev. The price point is totally different.
Exactly! It's similar to the Hyundai/Genesis pricing with their ICE models.

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq EV
51 Posts
In Britain the base model Ioniq 5 is £6445 more than the equivalent Ioniq.

That said both the ioniq premium and premium se qualify for a govt incentive payment of £3000 on new EVs up to £35,000.

The ioniq 5 starts at £36995 and unless you get a deal then you miss out on the incentive.

·
Registered
2021 Ioniq PHEV Preferred (Polar White)
5 Posts
The Ioniq 5 is larger and at a higher price point so it's not really a direct replacement.

The next gen Niro has been spied out and about so maybe there's a new gen classic Ioniq coming as well? Although the question is would they still call it Ioniq if it comes in 3 flavours and not just pure electric.

If this is the end of the classic Ioniq, between the Elantra hybrid, Tucson HEV/PHEV and next gen Niro,
Hyundai-Kia have more than enough replacements.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq premium -19, 28kWh ~46k km
71 Posts
Hyundai almost religously follows a 3 year cycle, last refresh was my20(sept 19), they will keep building them until september 2022 when my23 is due to start production.

If my23 ever hits the factory that is, but I bet they want to do a third version of the hybrids and small EVs while filling out the EVs in the large car segment(where the money is) before designing new small EVs on the new plattform. Hopefully my23 will come with cobolt free batteries to make them cheaper.

·
Super Moderator
8,250 Posts
Instead, I'm thinking of the Kia Ceed SW Plug in or the Kia Niro Plug In. I realise this is not a Kia forum, but from what I can tell it has the same drivetrain?
one thing to remember is KIA are port of Hyundai and the Niro is the Kia version of the Ioniq, so if Hyundai kill the Ioniq plugin, Kia will likely do the same with the Niro plugin

BUT that said it also has the whiff of a salesman trying to sell something he has on the forecourt or can get quickly from stock rather than order something in for you that you actually want that will delay his commission of his figures for the month

1 - 17 of 17 Posts