Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I was one of the very first people to order an IONIQ in the UK back in 2016, they were fresh off the boat. The technology and even the brand were not exactly popular and people were still thinking of Prius when talking hybrids.. The IONIQ blows that out of the water in my opinion and I went with it, even when everyone was telling me to go diesel for the miles I was doing. Glad I never listened.

Sustainability has been a big part of my life and when I heard that the IONIQ was made with environmentally friendly paint, recycled plastics and even volcanic rock, my interest peaked.

Since 2016, it looks like Hyundai have come even further with sustainability and I am overjoyed. This video discusses the current and future of design and materials for the range and it warmed my cold heart.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq Premium SE PHEV
248 Posts
See my response to "Where did everybody go?" You need to see the IONIQ 5 in the flesh ( as they say).

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
See my response to "Where did everybody go?" You need to see the IONIQ 5 in the flesh ( as they say).
I have seen it in the flesh! It is sexy af but outside of my price range unfortunately..

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq EV Premium Plus
496 Posts
I have seen it in the flesh! It is sexy af but outside of my price range unfortunately..
So have I. I find it both ugly and outside of my price range...

·
Registered
Ioniq EV, basic trim
147 Posts
I am glad to learn that my car may also have recycled plastic, but we need to be careful with these claims. It is to some extent likely just greenwashing. If you use 1% recycled plastics, and 99% virgin plastic, you can market the car as using recycled plastic.

Unless they say what % of the materials are recycled plastic, it's likely a good guess to assume it's a low percentage.

Making a car environmentally friendly in its usage is fuel is what is being achieved today and that's the most important step.

A truly environmental car in its production requires that the factories are not heated with fossil fuels, that the executives don't fly to meetings in business class, that the electricity of the suppliers is green, that the buildings that produce the cars are not produced with regular cement, that the ships that transport the cars across oceans are powered by sails. And many other things. It's very difficult. There are 100 or even 1000 factors to consider. If companies can point to 3 good thing they have done, then there are probably 97 other things they haven't.

The environmental impact of a car's production is likely in proportion to its cost.

I suppose what they are doing is a small step in a longer journey though, which they kind of admit in the video.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts