Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
With those job titles, I can't tell if this is a promotion or demotion or ??

Here's my theory about the delay of the official reveal:
Hyundai may be reducing the announced price of the IONIQ 5 in response to Tesla's price cuts in Europe. It likely wants to avoid negative press citing how Tesla offers a better value and would like to undercut Tesla in price. But reducing the price of the IONIQ 5 would likely cut deeper into Kona EV and Kia e-Niro sales, so Hyundai is delaying the release of the official pricing to try to get as many sales of those vehicles at current pricing as they can.

If it means lower prices all around, I'm happy to wait a few weeks before the big reveal.

·
Super Moderator
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Someone from a German/Austrian/Swiss Ioniq 5 Facebook group writes that he found it at the mentioned URL.

Reactions: Hayden120

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am beginning to doubt that the February 16 release date is going to happen. Shouldn’t Hyundai be promoting the event by now? Why have the teaser videos stopped coming out? It would be nice to hear something definite from the company.

·
Registered
64 Posts
We've seen several different news/blog reports indicated the Feb 23 date, but what's really puzzling is no official word from Hyundai. I agree with @KrPtNk that you would expect some kind of official promotion to be made so close to these dates (whether Feb 16 or Feb 23) but all of Hyundai's PR/social media accounts have gone silent on the IONIQ 5 ever since that teaser preview video (the secret agent one). I wonder if they are still trying to figure out what to do with the whole SK Innovation battery ban for the US. If the ban is upheld, they would not be able to sell the IONIQ 5 in the USA, so that would change what they can say during the official reveal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Unveiling confirmed for the 23rd of February:

World Premiere of IONIQ 5
Hyundai will debut IONIQ 5 during the virtual world premiere event on February 23, 2021. During the event, Hyundai will unveil details about IONIQ 5’s innovative features and how customers can benefit from this dedicated BEV model.

·
Registered
2019 PHEV Ultimate
966 Posts
I worry about Hyundai shooting themselves in the foot with the uber secrecy and the months of teasers. If you hype something up enough and then it fails to impress upon its reveal then you've soured your brand in the minds of everyone for a long long time. Better to just release it like any other vehicle, and if it's truly impressive then the hype will create itself. At least then if its merely average you still get to enjoy an average sales level.

·
Super Moderator
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
We will see. I think most has already become known via different leaks during the past weeks and months, so I do not expect negative surprises.

Reactions: KevinT

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq EV Premium Plus
414 Posts
We will see. I think most has already become known via different leaks during the past weeks and months, so I do not expect negative surprises.
As far as the technical specifications go, I think that most of it is already known.

But I don't think that the photos we've seen so far have been very revealing. So I might either be pleasantly surprised, or get my fears confirmed... ;)

·
Registered
Red 2019 Ioniq 38 Premium EV
124 Posts
Chevy Bolt refresh has just been announced. Seems like they've restored a load of buttons & controls, back to real, tactile knobs & switches, rather than having everything on touch-sensitive screen as they did in prev Bolt (probably copying Tesla's (mistaken in my opinion) drive to eliminate all knobs & buttons). Seems this was done in response to customer feedback, clearly a lot of people hated losing the regular controls.

The big thing that makes me like Ioniq a lot more than ID.3 is the presence of the traditional buttons, for air-con, LFA, air-recirc, front & back windows, ... etc.

I wonder which way the new platform is going to go... !

·
Registered
64 Posts
The big thing that makes me like Ioniq a lot more than ID.3 is the presence of the traditional buttons, for air-con, LFA, air-recirc, front & back windows, ... etc.

I wonder which way the new platform is going to go... !
Well, this teaser image from Hyundai shows real knobs, buttons, and toggles, so I'm feeling good about the car in this regard!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Saw a Danish article which seems to have some new info (translated from danish):

Launch and delivery

For France, Germany, Netherlands and Norway (which is the country that buys the most BEV's pr. capita) you will have the option of an early launch version called "Project 45" this summer. Unfortunately this will not apply for Denmark and the rest of the world.

The official launch of the Ioniq 5 will happen on Hyundais homepage on the 23rd of february at 8:00. Here we also expect to learn information about, when the car can be ordered and delivered in Denmark.
They name "Hyundai.dk" as their source.

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
It's on the European Hyundai site. The UK gets early access as well. Limited to 3000 cars.

Very cool front passenger seat function!

"IONIQ 5 is equipped with electronically adjustable front seats. The seats recline to the optimum angle, offering a weightless feeling for the occupant. Hyundai reduced the thickness of these front seats by about 30 percent, providing more space for those seated in the second row. This allows passengers to customize the interior space according to different needs and situations."
hyundai-ioniq5s-interior-reveal.gif

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hyundai reduced the thickness of these front seats by about 30 percent, providing more space for those seated in the second row.
Hmm... Chevy did that with the original Bolt and that didn't go so well. I hope Hyundai did not compromise front seat comfort by doing this. The 2nd row already seems to have quite a lot of leg room, so I'm not sure why Hyundai thought this was a necessary thing to do.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts